AFI's Top Ten Awards of 2006

TGC

AFI AWARDS 2006

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR-OFFICIAL SELECTIONS

BABEL

BORAT: CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICA FOR MAKE BENEFIT GLORIOUS NATION OF KAZAKHSTAN

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

DREAMGIRLS

HALF NELSON

HAPPY FEET

INSIDE MAN

LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

UNITED 93

I have seen none of those films, oddly enough.

AFI TV PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR-OFFICIAL SELECTIONS

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

DEXTER

ELIZABETH I

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

HEROES

THE OFFICE

SOUTH PARK

THE WEST WING

THE WIRE

Dexter bored the living shit out of me based on the first half of the first episode, but it may be worth trying again at some point. I am surprised that Studio 60 failed to make the list though. I'm also surprised that the final season of The West Wing did make the list, considering I heard it was pretty weak. BG and Heroes are both equally awesome, even if BG did fall off a bit this season in my opinion.

Edited by TGClaus

The Departed is not nominated? This is why I continue to hate the AFI who screw up everything, like "Luke, I am your father" didn't make the top 100 movie quotes. But yet United 93 is nominated for basically being a movie about 9/11, it wasn't that great of a movie. I enjoyed Inside Man a great deal, but seeing it on the list and not Departed makes my brain hurt as it was significantly better.

Friday Night Lights, South Park, and The West Wing do not deserve this at all, and I wouldn't complain if Heroes was left off either even though it's enjoyable. I'm also surprised that Studio 60 didn't get on here as it is better than at least Friday Night Lights. FNL is horrible.

The Departed is not nominated? This is why I continue to hate the AFI who screw up everything, like "Luke, I am your father" didn't make the top 100 movie quotes. But yet United 93 is nominated for basically being a movie about 9/11, it wasn't that great of a movie. I enjoyed Inside Man a great deal, but seeing it on the list and not Departed makes my brain hurt as it was significantly better.
Edited by Laice06

Letters from Iwo Jima is supposed to be fantastic, but sadly we won't get a chance to see it until early 07.

As for Dreamgirls and Oscars, one of the actresses of whom I can not remember her name had a clause in her contract that the studio could put her in the supporting actress category instead of leading actress. As of now it seems they'll exercise that and put Beyonce at Best Actress from what I've heard because she has a bigger name.

As for Dreamgirls and Oscars, one of the actresses of whom I can not remember her name had a clause in her contract that the studio could put her in the supporting actress category instead of leading actress. As of now it seems they'll exercise that and put Beyonce at Best Actress from what I've heard because she has a bigger name.
Edited by Laice06

Friday Night Lights, South Park, and The West Wing do not deserve this at all, and I wouldn't complain if Heroes was left off either even though it's enjoyable. I'm also surprised that Studio 60 didn't get on here as it is better than at least Friday Night Lights. FNL is horrible.

Little Miss Sunshine needs at least a mention, awesome performances by Abigail Breslin, Steve Carell, and Greg Kinnear. It's an awesome feel-good-film that doesn't make you want to throw up at the end. It deals with real issues, but is still so damn hilarious. It's the only movie I've gone and seen twice ever.

Add the fact that the critics are on a huge Steve Carell man-crush phase, I can see Carell at least walking away with a supporting nod at some award.

Little Miss Sunshine needs at least a mention, awesome performances by Abigail Breslin, Steve Carell, and Greg Kinnear. It's an awesome feel-good-film that doesn't make you want to throw up at the end. It deals with real issues, but is still so damn hilarious. It's the only movie I've gone and seen twice ever.

Add the fact that the critics are on a huge Steve Carell man-crush phase, I can see Carell at least walking away with a supporting nod at some award

Why the fuck did they release The Departed so early? The studio had to know it was a film which if it picked up the momentum Dreamgirls is picking up would've gone far in awards season. Instead it's momentum is fading quickly. AFI is shit in any case, but Departed not being mentioned is very upsetting.