Top Singles Of The Year

RPS

1. Justin Timberlake; "Sexy Back"

Who thought JT would return with a such a bang? Charting 7 straight weeks on top of the charters, Timberlake returned with a song that... didn't really sound like a Justin Timberlake song.

2. Billy Talent; "Devil In A Midnight Mass"

The almost ominous sound of this song is creepy. Definitely a great way to return for a brief hiatus, showing they can still kick it.

3. Gnarls Barkley; "Crazy"

I heard this song one late night and said "this song is gonna be big". But I never thought it'd be THIS big. Who thought the guy behind the Grey Album and Cee-Lo could make a hit?

4. Beck; "Nausea"

Beck proves once again that Odelay wasn't a fluke and that

5. Arctic Monkeys; "I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor"

You bet right. Infectious song, that shows these young lads (heck, I think I am older than them) studied up on their rock history and pass with flying colors.

6. Panic! At The Disco; "I Write Sins Not Tragedies"

Say what you will about the boys - the song is incredibly catchy and the use of mood in the song helps put these guys ahead of the emo-pack.

7. Cadence Weapon; "Black Hand"

Pitchfork Writer meets the indie scene meets hip hop meets Edmonton city meets a CD name dropping wrestling meets incredibly awesome single.

8. Justin Timberlake; "My Love"

Probably a better song than Sexy Back, but not necessarily a better single if you catch my drift.

9. Kelis; "Bossy"

Kelis proves one again why she is ahead of Beyonce, Ciara and other girls trying to take her role as Queen of Hip Hop. She simply owns everything she touches.

10. Lupe Fiasco; "Kick, Push"

The best rap single of the year. Lupe makes it seem so easy to be a skateboard, I actually might try.

Hmm. I've been a bit out of touch this year, but from what I can remember...

X-Tina - Ain't No Other Man. She does soul! And 40s chic! And does it well! Egads. A great pop lick and really, really infectious track.

The Automatic - Monster. Insanely cool indie-crossover hit, featuring odd screaming guy on backup vox and more cool sci-fi geek jokes than is healthy for a band made up of supposedly cool people. Yay.

Gnarls Barkley - Smiley Faces. 10x better than Crazy, a really great summer tune that had everybody I knew dancing like loons whenever it was on. Plus, the video had Dennis Hopper in it, so instant cool points.

Girls Aloud - Their New One I Can't Remember The Name Of Off The Top Of My Head. :wub:

umm... dunno anymore really. Damn my out-of-touch-ness. A year spent holed up writing essays to Nick Drake albums and my dad's old collection of vintage Dire Straits LPs was clearly not a year well-spent.

Billy Talent - Devil in a Midnight Mass

Weird Al Yankovic - White and Nerdy

Stone Sour - Through Glass

Plus 44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating

Meatloaf - It's All Coming Back To Me Now

Foxy Foxy - Rob Zombie

Oddly, there all from mid-to-late 2006 except for one, early 2006 just sucked for me.

John Legend - Again

Probably the best RnB song of the year, and i am a huge fan of that type of music. John Legend is the definition of Rnb, the Saviour of RnB and personally, i think Againw as his greatest track off of Once Again.

Sneaky Sound System - Pictures

Fantastic Dance song for anyone who likes that kind of thing

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

I got the album, im a huge fan, this was Barkley's year in a way.

Lupe Fiasco - Kick, Push

Yeah, just... loved. When i heard this song, i got his album as soon as it come out and i don't regret it at all. Same story with Gnarls.

"Animal I Have Become" by Three Days Grace

"Pain" by Three Days Grace

... come on anyone who knows me knew I would say those two songs.

I also liked these singles:

"Devil in a Midnight Mass" by Billy Talent

"When Your Heart Stops Beating" by Plus 44

"See Right Through Me" by Mobile

In no particular order:

Its All Coming Back To Me Now - Meatloaf ft. Marion Raven. Took a Celine Dion fan and made it likeable by people (like myself) who don't care for Celine Dion.

Beep - Pussycat Dolls. What can I say? I like this song. I would have Buttons on here instead, but the fact they used it for Kelly Kelly's music in ECW ruined that one for me, and I'll be happy if I never hear Don'tcha again as long as I live.

Through Glass - Stone Sour. Second song I ever heard by them, and I like it a lot. The video is pretty good, too.

Promise - Ciara. Now I know what Prince would sound like if he was a woman from the way Ciara sings part of the song.

Foxy Foxy - Rob Zombie. Do I even need to explain why the song is awesome?

Ain't No Other Man - Christina Aguilera - Proves once again that the girl's got quite possibly the best set of pipes in the business.

Save Room - John Legend - Smooth love song that sounds like a throwback to another era.

Ring The Alarm - Beyonce - Wow. I love it when she shows an attitude.....most of the time. (I'm not too fond of Irreplaceable)

So, yeah, not a ton of stuff this year that I rate real highly that I can think of at the moment.

*edit* And sorry to whoever listed it, but I'll be damned happy if I never ever hear I Write Sins Not Tragedies again. Way overplayed - Its one of those decent songs that get played so much that you get sick of it to the point of hatred, for me.

Edited by GhostMachine

1. Justin Timberlake; "Sexy Back"

Who thought JT would return with a such a bang? Charting 7 straight weeks on top of the charters, Timberlake returned with a song that... didn't really sound like a Justin Timberlake song.

2. Billy Talent; "Devil In A Midnight Mass"

The almost ominous sound of this song is creepy. Definitely a great way to return for a brief hiatus, showing they can still kick it.

3. Gnarls Barkley; "Crazy"

I heard this song one late night and said "this song is gonna be big". But I never thought it'd be THIS big. Who thought the guy behind the Grey Album and Cee-Lo could make a hit?

4. Beck; "Nausea"

Beck proves once again that Odelay wasn't a fluke and that

5. Arctic Monkeys; "I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor"

You bet right. Infectious song, that shows these young lads (heck, I think I am older than them) studied up on their rock history and pass with flying colors.

6. Panic! At The Disco; "I Write Sins Not Tragedies"

Say what you will about the boys - the song is incredibly catchy and the use of mood in the song helps put these guys ahead of the emo-pack.

7. Cadence Weapon; "Black Hand"

Pitchfork Writer meets the indie scene meets hip hop meets Edmonton city meets a CD name dropping wrestling meets incredibly awesome single.

8. Justin Timberlake; "My Love"

Probably a better song than Sexy Back, but not necessarily a better single if you catch my drift.

9. Kelis; "Bossy"

Kelis proves one again why she is ahead of Beyonce, Ciara and other girls trying to take her role as Queen of Hip Hop. She simply owns everything she touches.

10. Lupe Fiasco; "Kick, Push"

The best rap single of the year. Lupe makes it seem so easy to be a skateboard, I actually might try.

Am I the only person who is really shit at following singles, especially for bands that don't exactly release "conventional singles" (i.e. ones that chart commercially)?

So yeah, I have no idea what my favourite single of the year is....I know "Starlight" by Muse was released, and liked that, so yeah, that.

John Legend - Heaven

Amazing baseline, fantastic work from Legend. Really, the whole Once Again album is pretty solid, but this song really stands out.

Sufjan Stevens - Dear Mr. Supercomputer

I think this counts as a single since it got play on Sirius radio, but yeah, it's not hard to realize why this song is good. Multi-symphonic beats to the max!

Lupe Fiasco - "Kick, Push"

Perhaps the most catchy rap track of the year (other than another rap song I will mention soon after), Lupe strikes a solid balance between creating rap for white people and keeping a sense of credulity in the genre.

Muse - "Knights of Cydonia"

Of the two major rock songs that used Queen-esque styles in their rockingness, this is definitely the better one. I mean, this is like "Bohemian Rhapsody" with more random shit thrown in for good measure (and obviously a much different tone in lyrics) and the video just cements it further as great.

Nas - "Hip Hop Is Dead"

I don't know if it counts either, since it's not a single "yet", but anyone who has heard this knows that Nas is back in top form. The "In A Gadda-Da-Vitta" beat is just amazing beyond recognition, too.

Guest Freckles

Am I the only person who is really shit at following singles, especially for bands that don't exactly release "conventional singles" (i.e. ones that chart commercially)?

So yeah, I have no idea what my favourite single of the year is....I know "Starlight" by Muse was released, and liked that, so yeah, that.

I can only remember being excited for one single this year, and that was Tool's "Vicarious". I listened to the radio everyday for that song, because it wasn't on the torrent sites yet. Strangely, it only leaked after it was finally given to radio stations. I don't think that usually happens. Then again, I think "10,000 Days" leaked a few days before it was released, which is really odd. Or maybe it leaked months in advance, I don't know.

Either way... "Vicarious", man.