Champions League 06/07 Knockout Fixtures

AJ

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest REENGAYLAND!!!

I always find comparing goalkeepers in smaller teams to those in bigger teams is a little difficult. Who's to say Shay Given wouldn't drop his guard and relax if he found himself behind 4 world class defenders and become pure shit? :shifty:

Edited by REENGAYLAND!!!

Good point really. Given has never had a really good defense ever thinking on it. :shifty:

I do remember Freidel turning down Man Utd before they got Van De Saar saying he didn't think his body could cope with all the extra games that the CL brings with it and he was happy at Rovers. I think he doubts our CL pushes, somehow >_>

I've just about recovered from the Utd Milan match now. It was highly frustrating at times. Granted he worked hard and won some free kicks but it seemed Ronaldo was trying to do too much too often and instead should've been looking to play the simpler ball.

Was a fantastic game, I imagine especially from a neutral point of view. Superb finish to the match as well. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a game as exciting in the Champions League.

Oh, and Paul Scholes? Wow, just wow.

In my eyes Given is, or is very close to being, the best 'keeper in the world. He deserves to play for a decent team in fairness because he is truly that good.

Friedel is fucking awesome too, shame he plays for Rovers. I'd have ventured to say Sorenson was once one of the best 'keepers in the Premiership back when Sunderland were a 7th place side, saved their asses on countless times - seems to have dropped his game a bit though since then.

Now it's all a bit different, but one thing I can admit is that Given is still great, Friedel is great even with his age (got his autograph ;)). Cech is obviously good but he's a bit too flashy really, a lot of these continental 'keepers are though with their punches and their pushing the ball away, and tipping low shots over the bar (see: Canizares).

Mind you, when it comes to flashy, Rogerio Ceni has them all stumped.

I don't think you can class a 'keeper as one of the best in the world when they haven't played at a top club. It's one thing to save shot after shot, but to have nothing to do for 90 minutes then make a world class save right at the end is what makes a goalie great, IMO.

Look at Cech last night, his save from Gerrard was the only thing he had to do for the whole match but he still pulled off an excellent save.

My point was about Given, but either way Friedal was never as spectacular for us.

True, else we would have not got him for free. If it had worked out for him at Anfield, well, you may have won the league by now.

Come to the States. Nobody will disagree with you.

Deal. >_>

Interesting discussion about 'keepers. I agree with a lot of what has been said, and would just like to add that the standard of goalkeeping in the Premiership is much higher than anywhere else in the world. Plenty of 'keepers can get away with flapping about on the continent, but as soon as they get to England, they really do look terrible (having just spoken to Ellis, Lastuvka and Isaksson come to mind). The top five Premiership goalkeepers, in my opinion are:

Cech

Given

van der Sar (although recent performances have me doubting)

James

Robinson

And there's so many more. Friedel especially, up until 6 months or so ago I really did rank him as one of the best in the world.

I think a lot of it's to do with the amount of protection they get. It's bad enough in England, but whenever I watch Serie A/La Liga or whatever you only have to stand near the keeper to give away a freekick.

My list would be:

Cech

James

Van Der Sar

Reina

Given

Same as Thomas' except Reina for Robinson, if only because people don't seem to realise just how important he is to our defence. It's also reassuring to see that high profile mistakes haven't affected him the way they did Dudek and Westerveld before him.

Cech

Friedel

Given

James

Van Der Sar

Don't know how anyone can have a list without Friedal on, because he's a bloody awesome goalkeeper. Personally I think he's almost as good as any keeper in the Premiership and he's proved that over and over again. I still don't rate Cech half as highly as some do either. I'd personally go with Given or Friedel for the best in the Premiership.