Covers better than originals...

Liam

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Running Up That Hill" by Placebo (Originally by Kate Bush)

"Wait" by Death Cab For Cutie (Originally by The Secret Stars)

Pretty much everything on "Keasbey Nights" by Streetlight Manifesto (Originally by Catch 22) (BEST EXAMPLE OF THIS...seeing as Keasbey Nights is probably my favourite 2 ska-punk albums of all time :shifty:)

"Rooftops" by Alkaline Trio (Originally by Hot Water Music)

"Radio" by Hot Water Music (Originally by Alkaline Trio)

"Bitches Aint Shit" by Ben Folds (Originally by Dr Dre)

"Another Girl, Another Planet" by Bell X1 (Originally by The Only Ones)

Edited by Steve Mandela

The two I think of when I started this are Between The Buried And Me's version of "The Day I Tried To Live" (originally by Soundgarden)...I'm not sure why, just something about it, and A Perfect Circle's "The Nurse Who Loved Me" (originally by Failure)....this one primarily because I prefer Keenan's voice on it.

I'm sure I have more, but thats all I can think of for the time being.

• Admin

Oooh, good question Liam. For me, it would be.........

"Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" by David Gray (original by Soft Cell)

"Better Be Home Soon" by Kasey Chambers (original by Crowded House)

"Feeling Good" by Muse (original by Nina Simone, non-musical anyway)

Whiskey In The Jar by Metallica (originally by Thin Lizzy)

Whiskey In The Jar is a fairly old song. Pretty sure someone else did it before Thin Lizzy.

I know Roger Whittaker has done a version of it. I know because I was forced to listen to that shit when I was a kid.

Chris Cornell's acoustic cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean". It's a different song entirely. Sheer awesomeness.

Nirvana's cover of "The Man Who Sold The World", originally by Bowie. I like both, but I prefer the cover.

There's two.

Edit - And Buckley's "Hallelujah" goes without saying, I think. ^_^

Edited by The Rated-R Superstar

Yeah, as has been said, plenty of bands had recorded Whiskey In The Jar before Thin Lizzy. I believe The Dubliners recorded the earliest version of it, that I'm aware of at least, but plenty of other bands recorded it pre-Thin Lizzy, too. Personally, my favourite version that I've heard is the Pogues & Dubliners duet version.

More on topic, though, I adore The Pogues' "Dirty Old Town", originally by Ewan MacColl, and The Pogues version is certainly bette. I also love, on a related note, Nick Cave's "Rainy Night In Soho", originally by The Pogues. In fact, every Nick Cave cover version other than his abysmal "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is fantastic, and all of originally good songs, with the exception of "In The Ghetto", in which case only Cave's version is worth a mention. How many of them are better than the originals, I'm not sure, though. Possibly just "Wanted Man" and "The Singer". I would say "Stagger Lee", but I haven't heard enough earlier versions to judge.

Napalm Death's "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" has a place in my heart, especially the live version. I don't know if I'd say it's better than the original, though.

Edited by Skummy