The Mafia Discussion Thread

On 3/16/2017 at 23:10, LittleDaniel said:

Ugh, so I finished the first draft of my Community game and I came up with 30 roles.  We just need to find another ten or so people to play Mafia again so I can run a huge Community clusterfuck :P

Please let me know when this finally happens.

(And if - god forbid - you aren't able to go forward with it, I'm totally taking up this cause.)

If you just kill town members that's just more incentive for the mafia to lurk their way through the game. I realize that's a valid strategy, but it doesn't make for a very fun game when everyone's decided the best course of action is total inaction.

I said I'd kill two people at random, I did. I don't think it's fair to reward the scum when I know for a fact they were discussing the idea of just waiting out the deadline and taking their chances that it was two town. By random draw it might have been two town, but it wasn't and I am not sad. There's no reason in game days need to take 5 irl days. At a certain point you need to move on and all sides had ample warning.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SeanDMan said:

I said I'd kill two people at random, I did. I don't think it's fair to reward the scum when I know for a fact they were discussing the idea of just waiting out the deadline and taking their chances that it was two town. By random draw it might have been two town, but it wasn't and I am not sad. There's no reason in game days need to take 5 irl days. At a certain point you need to move on and all sides had ample warning.

Oh wait. You weren't privy to our mafia conversations because we didn't add you too our conversation. So you don't know if we were discussing waiting out the deadline. 

I am not gonna say anymore in public.

If everyone is so dissatisfied with the way the game is going, and it seems that way from all the feedback, then fuck it. I'll watch Mania tomorrow instead of updating, whoever is next on the list can go.

8 hours ago, Cloudy said:

If you just kill town members that's just more incentive for the mafia to lurk their way through the game. I realize that's a valid strategy, but it doesn't make for a very fun game when everyone's decided the best course of action is total inaction.

The lynch is a town weapon, not a scum weapon. It's the town that should be punished for choosing not to use it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

I am not gonna say anymore in public.

If everyone is so dissatisfied with the way the game is going, and it seems that way from all the feedback, then fuck it. I'll watch Mania tomorrow instead of updating, whoever is next on the list can go.

Nah man, don't let it die, it's been fun. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The EvEl Idoloverlord said:

The lynch is a town weapon, not a scum weapon. It's the town that should be punished for choosing not to use it.

But in theory, most (all?) games could get to the point where mafia just have to abstain from voting and a town win becomes impossible, no?

Let's have this discussion after the game ends. I've gotten enough people either here or privately telling me to keep going, so if people who are still in the game want to send night actions, and people who aren't wouldn't mind waiting until the game is done to spill their spaghetti, that would be preferable.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nerf said:

But in theory, most (all?) games could get to the point where mafia just have to abstain from voting and a town win becomes impossible, no?

Not at all. That's why the Mafia win condition is to have at least half the remaining players, because that's the only way they can control the vote. If all the scum players abstain, all the town has to do is all vote for one of the abstainers, and they win. This is the entire reason why lynch all lurkers became a strategy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeanDMan said:

Let's have this discussion after the game ends. I've gotten enough people either here or privately telling me to keep going, so if people who are still in the game want to send night actions, and people who aren't wouldn't mind waiting until the game is done to spill their spaghetti, that would be preferable.

I didn't spoil anything. I said the twist was bullshit and you were the one who openly said what you thought mafia was doing. The game should go on, but don't act like you didn't invite me to say that by publicly stating what you thought was going.

17 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I'm not opposed to it, it being random is probably a good thing because it means people pretty much have to play or risk it being them.

@RoHitman Reigns you think you are still going to be good to go next?

How does that work? If it's random, you can play and it still be you.

The scum should be able to use deadlines to their advantage. It's the towns weapon, the town should not be rewarded for not using it. The scum shouldn't be forced to drive a lynch that the town doesn't want to play for to avoid random death. The only reason for the scum to participate in the lynch is to avoid suspicion, and if enough townies aren't participating that it allows the scum to blend in by lurking, then that's the towns problem. Rewarding inactive townies by killing scum randomly is insane. 

• Like 3