The Mafia Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, kurgan said:

@Mx. Canadian Destroyer, @Tigerstyle thanks for the tags and keeping up with the list.

I am working on mine now, but I am a little slammed with time.  I have most of the mechanics down, but I am working on a theme.  I know this is a pro-wrestling board, and I thought about either an NXT mafia or even like a women's division mafia (kinda like the Evolution PPV) but as a history teacher, I would LOVE to do a historical conspiracy or assassination mafia (like the Lincoln assassination).  I would want people to want to play, and want to do a theme that a lot of people would like.

Either way, I am not ready to do it, but I am 100% down with playing whomever's mafia is next.  Just lemme know what you all think about the above ideas, and who would be interested in which idea and I can get the rest sorted.  

The board has long since morphed into a general interest one; feel free to pick any theme :). I do like the idea of a historical context one. 

26 minutes ago, RPS said:

Up to you, I have no preference. I got my game good to go, but if you want to go first, let me know. 

Do yours if its good to go.  I might use the time to draw up The Thing 2 and see if I like that better.  Since I had the original cast and the remake in the first one I might take a completely different universe and throw The Thing in there for some spice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... I have been spending WAAAAAY too much time building a mafia game instead of doing my work.

Now, I have played tons of mafia (on here and other places... this place is so much cooler and more relaxed BTW) but I have never been a game runner.  So, while I have been doing research and whatnot, I am a bit nervous about simply throwing it up on the list.  I think it is balanced and makes sense.

I thought that I might throw it out here and ask if there is someone who has run games before that might want to check it out for me??  I don't want to get anyone that is planning on playing it, so I don't want to like make it so a person can't play.  Unless, you all are good with playing it and seeing what happens.   I mean, I might have a broken game that ends Day 3, but if you all are OK with that, then I am too.

Just for general purposes, it is World War 1 and should be a blast.

6 hours ago, kurgan said:

Ok... I have been spending WAAAAAY too much time building a mafia game instead of doing my work.

Now, I have played tons of mafia (on here and other places... this place is so much cooler and more relaxed BTW) but I have never been a game runner.  So, while I have been doing research and whatnot, I am a bit nervous about simply throwing it up on the list.  I think it is balanced and makes sense.

I thought that I might throw it out here and ask if there is someone who has run games before that might want to check it out for me??  I don't want to get anyone that is planning on playing it, so I don't want to like make it so a person can't play.  Unless, you all are good with playing it and seeing what happens.   I mean, I might have a broken game that ends Day 3, but if you all are OK with that, then I am too.

Just for general purposes, it is World War 1 and should be a blast.

I thought my game was going to play out like that 😛 luckily it pretty much went the distance!

Just going for it is probably way to find out if what you've planned actually pans out. I'm happy with how mine went and would only have preferred more players to make a few roles function better. Those roles ended up getting cut anyway and what I ran with played out fine.

Tigerstyle's game also went really well. The Quickdraw gimmick was very entertaining and freshened play up massively. I also have to agree that 48 hour day phases seems to be a sweet spot we wouldn't have identified without the pace Quickdraw had.

I'd be interested in seeing a 72 hour day phase game, just to learn whether 48 hours is perfect, or whether there's a window of phase lengths which work. I think my game had a few 96 hour phases (can't remember off the top of my head) so I'll have a look back and see how active they were. Weeklong phases are clearly not something we should consider again though.

I think linking phase length to the number of players in the game is logical. We seem to be in th 13-20 player range atm and 48 hours seems to be working quite well. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

I’m currently working on the mechanics for Tag Team Mafia where everyone is a mason and see what mess that becomes.

Would definitely be up for that! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

I’m currently working on the mechanics for Tag Team Mafia where everyone is a mason and see what mess that becomes.

I thought of a wild new mechanic for The Thing 2 and so many different things to do with it.  Now I want to run that so badly, except set it in the movies Aliens instead of the Xenomorphs.

• Like 1

OK... I am good with just running it, then.  I mean, it could blow up and end on Day 2, but it is what it is.

I do like the phase ideas though.  Maybe start out with 96, then move to 48 at some point... IDK.

I have a few different mechanics that I have not seen here in the game that I am excited for.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

Dude...just thinking of this as I sit around eliminated...

Just spitballing... let's say you make a WWE based one.  True tag teams like the VIking Raiders and Street Profits (who would never take on other partners) are lovers with some powerful mechanic (night kill) and thrown-together teams (2 random single guys) are regular masons that can 'pick-up' another partner if one is available.  Then you could have a 'manager' role (Zelina Vega) who starts out with Garza and Andrade, but if one of them is killed, she can pick up another single player. 

Damn, there is a lot of meat on that bone... What a fun mafia that would be.

Who's running the next game? 5 players left but 2 active kills, on top of the lynch, in the Dogs game leaves me thinking it wont make another day. I might be wrong as it's been a wild game.