The Mafia Discussion Thread

No guarantee he was don and night protected, Forky. It was a risky play that would have paid off huge for Molly, but in other circumstances there are always the possibilities of someone doing that knowing that they're untouchable. A nearly-outed don has nothing to lose and is more apt to make big gambles. If Molly held that info, went to kill DMN, and DMN was untouchable... no damage done against him, especially if he happens to send the kill in her direction.

Alternatively, the point was made that Molly could have for all intents and purposes been targeted and killed before ever touching DMN, leaving him with a crystal clean vig claim for the rest of the game because she didn't come out to call him out on it.

That all being said, it's about how the person feels comfortable with their play. Molly clearly felt comfortable with the risk, and it would have worked in her favor as I doubt our group was going to target her any time soon. Different circumstances and that decision would have been a horrible one, but in that case it would have worked gloriously.

Always depends on the circumstance.

However, whether or not she knew it doesn't matter when technically she made the right decision. Sure in a different circumstance it might not have been but at this point, Molly keeping it in would have allowed her to kill him at night. If she had risked coming out and saying I'm the Vig and I killed Norro then nothing would have happened because we would have attempted to lynch him and his lynch protection would have saved him. So saying she made the wrong choice isn't right because whether she knew it or not, she made the right one.

And DMN, it's not really that surviving makes you a good player with that move. It's more about not giving yourself up in the hopes of being able to help out at a later date. I don't see it as being a good move for the Vig to come out and go "Hey guys, I have a kill" because 9 times out of 10 on EWB, the town is going to lynch them because kill=bad and that wastes a lynch that is better served on scum.

... but I never said she made the wrong choice Forky. Did you just selectively read that by habit when you noticed why I pointed out why it'd be a bad move?

Finish my post. I was agreeing with you mate :P

It was a good play by Molly, but were it anyone else who'd be a more apt nightkill target for that night, it'd be far more risky. It just depends on the circumstance and how the player feels about it. Molly was comfortable with the risk, it would have paid off, it was a good play. If someone like, say, Zan were trying to do that on the other hand, it obviously wouldn't fair so well. Always depends on the person and the circumstance.

Its wonderful that you have such a gag reflex for me, Forky. Warms my cold, dead heart.

Anyway, though, in this situation its a 'good' play, I still think that, in a vacuum, its a horrible play. Nothings going to change that in my mind. Chalk it up with different approaches to the game.

Vigs are a double edge sword. If you get the chance to take out scum, you take it. Don't 'save' yourself for something that may never come.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

A passing thought--why do we allow replacement players who have already been in the game? Especially if they were night-killed. If a player is night-killed, it's often because of their regular play, not an ability, so isn't it just punishing the mafia to let them back in?

A passing thought--why do we allow replacement players who have already been in the game? Especially if they were night-killed. If a player is night-killed, it's often because of their regular play, not an ability, so isn't it just punishing the mafia to let them back in?

Based on who I first saw beg to be let back into a game, the reason would be "lol, Ruki"