The Mafia Discussion Thread

Yeah, I really like the look of that list, RW. I think that would really help things out. Though, that's a lot of work for just one person. And I agree with SDM, conditional wins should have another set of points. Actually, I think they should get three points because they fufill their win condition.

Giving a point total to a conditional winner is hard because some conditions are harder to fulfill. There are a lot of examples of seeker roles that win on the first day because their target is a fucking idiot, for example.

Sounds good. Are you just going to start it now or are you going to backtrack through all past games? If so, I see the problem of getting every game runner to name their own MVP, because many haven't already.

Also, how do you handle replacements? Because a townie could die, but then come back into the game and win it. I assume their later role would cancel out all points from their first.

• Admin

7 points for being named Game MVP (if mentioned by the GM)

6 points for an Individual Win

5 points for being named Town MVP / Scum MVP (if mentioned by the GM ,and not mentioned as Game MVP)

4 points for a Mafia Win & Survival / Town Win & Survival

3 points for a Mafia Win, but nightkilled

2 points for a Mafia Win, but lynched

2 point for a Town Win, but nightkilled

1 point for a Town Win, but lynched

1 point for meeting a non-survival win condition

-1 point for being modkilled

-2 points for being replaced for inactivity

How about that?

If the gamerunner didn't set an MVP, I just won't assign the points.

As for replacements - they'll get points for both roles - not going to penalise people who are actively getting involved.

• Admin

6 points for an Individual Win

5 points for a Mafia Win & Survival

4 points for a Town Win & Survival

3 points for a Mafia Win, but nightkilled

2 points for a Mafia Win, but lynched

2 point for a Town Win, but nightkilled

1 point for a Town Win, but lynched

1 point for meeting a non-survival win condition

2 points for being named Game MVP

1 point for being named Town / Scum MVP, but not Game MVP

-1 point for being modkilled

-2 points for being replaced for inactivity

In answer to C-MIL - yep, post restriction modkills will get the demerit too.

How about a bonus point for a non-survival win condition?

I think the problem is that conditional difficulty varies widely from one condition to the next. Some set of conditions are downright impossible to match, while others are simple. Seekers who win on day one don't deserve more points than a survival indy who stays under the radar and makes it all the way to the end in a 40 player game, for example.

I think the penalty for getting modkilled or replaced for inactivity should be -5. It's like the exact opposite of being the most valuable player; you are in fact a valueless player. I think modkills for violating rules should be less harsh, because those can be honest mistakes. Flaking on games is just poor form and should be reflected as such.

That's sort of harsh. I mean, stuff happens, people get busy, internets crash... there's not always a real fault to people being inactive.

If it becomes a chronic problem for somebody, I think enough -2s would add up and reflect in their overall total. The idea that somebody could put on a game-stealing performance and then flake out their next game and have the second negate the first just seems sort of harsh to me.

I'm guessing you could make 2 different penalties, just look at the inactive player's activity on the site, if they been posting elsewhere, give em the -5 if they haven't been on in like a week, give em -2 or 1

How about this, as a compromise?

Each time you no show a game, you get -1 point for each time you've done it.

For example, someone who has dropped out of one game gets -1.

Someone who has dropped out of 5 games gets -5 5 times, for -25.

That way the more habitual it is, the more apparent it becomes. Someone who has "shit happen" will not lose that much, but someone who is notoriously unreliable will lose considerable points.

I'm guessing you could make 2 different penalties, just look at the inactive player's activity on the site, if they been posting elsewhere, give em the -5 if they haven't been on in like a week, give em -2 or 1

That would require a time machine. Do you have one?