The Mafia Discussion Thread

I have a question, How do i join a game, I'd love to and I've read many things on how to. Now how do i join a game? or how often do games come out?

4 games run at a time, and sign-ups happen in the seventh side in the cube. That is where you sign up.

I have a question, How do i join a game, I'd love to and I've read many things on how to. Now how do i join a game? or how often do games come out?

4 games run at a time, and sign-ups happen in the seventh side in the cube. That is where you sign up.

Thank you :)

So to take this discussion outsome of a mafia thread, so it's not clogged up. OldSkool and I seem to have the same belief that actually playing the game properly really increases your chance of being lynched; while inactive people seem to survive the longest and avoid suspicion for longest. It just seems kind of wrong when actually playing the game and trying to help a game flow actually increases your chance of being lynched. I get it. It's just started to annoy me. 'Cos I like playing. I hate being inactive, and I used to do it a lot, so I've tried to stop. But it seems I overexpose myself when I'm active.

It's just been bothering me for a few games now - and just thought we could actually have a half decent discussion on it. 'Cos we haven't had a mafia discussion for a while now.

Isn't Oldskool the same guy who said it's fine to reward the scum who actively try and prevent discussion in order to get random townies lynched at deadlines? THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I think part of the reason for that is that inactives now tend to get replaced rather than lynched--lurking's not as dangerous, because the game-runner can just call on a replacement player who will likely be more active. And the players realize this, so they try to lynch an active player for the flimsiest of reasons rather than a lurker.

Isn't Oldskool the same guy who said it's fine to reward the scum who actively try and prevent discussion in order to get random townies lynched at deadlines? THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.

I'd rather see the town play the game, i.e. "Do we push for a no lynch? Do we lynch this guy that's sort of suspicious? Can we get it done before the deadline kills one of us?" as opposed to sitting back & going "odds are the same whether I contribute or not, and since not contributing means I don't have my name on the end of a potential townie lynch I'm better off doing nothing; mathematically it doesn't hurt our odds of killing scum". It promotes lazy play. Town should have to find scum, not rely on getting handed scum because they deliberately didn't play the game.

And nobody lynches lurkers any more, which I have a problem with. Strategy aside I don't think it's fair to let a handful of people get free passes to midgame & endgame solely because they've done nothing (and therefore have done nothing suspicious), and I don't think it's fair to burden the game runner to find replacements and then burden the replacements with going through god knows how many pages of the game to get caught up.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It was a lot easier to lynch inactives when there were maybe 2 or 3 per game as opposed to 7 or 8 like we see now.

Yes, and that's why a lot of us used to keep our games below the number of sign-ups we'd expect, so we could exclude those we wanted out. Now people just want as many people in as possible, so they'll take anyone.

But then you end up having the same players in every game because it's usually the same people who are active throughout. And on the topic of discussion, I do think we should look at inactives but honestly not above someone who is active and appears scummy. Just because they are inactive doesn't make them scummy.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

But then you end up having the same players in every game because it's usually the same people who are active throughout.

So? How does it help game runners OR people who want to actually play the games to have the same people in every game, never doing anything?

Oh I wasn't saying there is, but I know that when I first started playing mafia on here, you had a lot of the game runners who would look for those who weren't in every game because they wanted some difference to there games.

I do think people want to play, but don't contribute at every stage, because if you say the slightest thing out of place - you can get lynched for it. Take Pleather's game for example, a throwaway post that didn't need saying got me lynched. I think people see being active as a risk to their mafia life.

I do think people want to play, but don't contribute at every stage, because if you say the slightest thing out of place - you can get lynched for it. Take Pleather's game for example, a throwaway post that didn't need saying got me lynched. I think people see being active as a risk to their mafia life.

Because that's the whole point of a mafia game. Finding the things that are out of place, because it usually leads to finding scum. Otherwise we'd be sitting around hoping our investigator found something...