The Mafia Discussion Thread

I think I've actually managed to balance out HSR Mafia without any game-breaking roles. Of course, I could do with a once-over before I actually start writing up the role PMs, so anybody that isn't interested in playing, could you take a look for me?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

He just made a bad play. Whatever. Snoop, the only thing you really need to do is proofread before you hit enter. Other than that, it's just a game with a learning curve.

Every one of these guys had to be the guy playing "their first game", and I know for a fact every one of them fucked up in a way that people mocked later on, or called stupid right there and then. That day was your turn.

Actually in my first game, I bluffed an investigation role which was one of the main factors in my mafia's victory.

Right, Pesci? :)

He just made a bad play. Whatever. Snoop, the only thing you really need to do is proofread before you hit enter. Other than that, it's just a game with a learning curve.

Every one of these guys had to be the guy playing "their first game", and I know for a fact every one of them fucked up in a way that people mocked later on, or called stupid right there and then. That day was your turn.

He knows it for a fact from the couple of weeks he's been here.

Actually in my first game, I bluffed an investigation role which was one of the main factors in my mafia's victory.

Right, Pesci? :)

I dunno why you always reference this like I'm still bitter about it or something. And that's happened in loads of games since. Stop clinging onto past glories you dolt :shifty: - besides, if you didn't betray me, thug would've. I was fucked from two ends in a group of three people :( - though it does make me insanely paranoid as a don from now on. I literally research like every other character in my group and if they have any betrayal tendancies. I think it was one of the comic mafias where Kaney was my 2nd in command but was known for betraying the leader, he died first night but I was gonna kill him off within a couple more because it was blatantly obvious the role was set up to fuck me over.

Also,

Vote me out or i quit over the mind games

This is amazing.

Edited by Pesci

Also, actually on topic for a change:

Granted there's some "If they can't take it now there's no point in coddling them because they won't take it later", but eventually we're going to want a 20+ player game again.

I don't.

I might want to try a more traditonal style game soon.

Powers are all well and good but when you have powers for the majority of your roles, chances are the last couple of ideas you use will tend to suck.

It's not just that, really. Often the biggest problems in theme games come from not realising how powers will work in combination. Like the town roleblocker, a role that keeps cropping up just because people need to pad out the town with powers and almost always ends up hurting the town far more than helping it by mistaking town power roles for scum and blocking them, while scum roleblockers are extremely effective tools against those same power roles - I remember a game I ran where the town pressured the cop into claiming early, and the scum just roleblocked him for the rest of the game and didn't kill him so that the doc had to go on protecting him every night, leaving the scum free to pick off whoever they felt like.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Powers are all well and good but when you have powers for the majority of your roles, chances are the last couple of ideas you use will tend to suck.

It's not just that, really. Often the biggest problems in theme games come from not realising how powers will work in combination. Like the town roleblocker, a role that keeps cropping up just because people need to pad out the town with powers and almost always ends up hurting the town far more than helping it by mistaking town power roles for scum and blocking them, while scum roleblockers are extremely effective tools against those same power roles - I remember a game I ran where the town pressured the cop into claiming early, and the scum just roleblocked him for the rest of the game and didn't kill him so that the doc had to go on protecting him every night, leaving the scum free to pick off whoever they felt like.

tl;dr - no problen with abilities, but most game runners are stupid?

I can get behind that.

tl;dr - no problen with abilities, but most game runners are stupid?

I can get behind that.

I wouldn't say stupid. More... lazy.

I don't hate townie roleblockers. A role that can hurt or help his team, depending on how well he uses it fits in well. Especially when they stop a kill. TEOL's point about thinking things through to see how powers will work together is a good one though, gamerunners should run through the possibilities in their head before throwing shit out there.

Pesci's right, but a good mafia can take advantage of a situation like that, which makes it against the town's best interest. If the town wants to throw the game away, that's their issue. Look at Alias, every living townie at the end of the game had claimed, and the mafia got a flawless victory. Townies need to learn to STFU about night powers unless absolutely neccessary, and I'm really looking forward to fr34k's game to see how things change.

I don't hate townie roleblockers. A role that can hurt or help his team, depending on how well he uses it fits in well. Especially when they stop a kill.

I'm not saying the theory isn't sound, but in practice, not so much. I've never seen a town roleblocker help the town more than they end up hurting it, either because they follow leads and end up hitting town power roles who are trying to stay under the radar and so come off looking scummy, or just go after targets randomly and end up hitting town more often than mafia just due to the numbers. Again, scum roleblockers are much better because they actively punish lazy cops and doctors who claim right off the bat.

... just hit me with something though. Mickey and Snoop have been acting like they're posting from two different locations ("see you at training tomorrow") yet they're posting with the same IP address.

You have to be fucking kidding me.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

... just hit me with something though. Mickey and Snoop have been acting like they're posting from two different locations ("see you at training tomorrow") yet they're posting with the same IP address.

You have to be fucking kidding me.

They could be siblings. It's not unheard of.