Your favorite method of listening to music

VerbalPuke

If the topic title seems confusing, I'll clarify for everybody right here. I'm asking if you prefer to listen to casettes, vinyl, cd's, mp3s, or even the jukebox at your local bar.

I'm personally a fan of vinyl, due to the sort of raw sound it produces as opposed to cd's which make some bands feel overproduced. I really think vinyl captures the sound that good rock and roll embodied, and has a very unique feel to it's sound. I've been listening to my lp collection a lot lately, and I've found that I really love the sound of a record as opposed to a cd. I feel as if I can hear every instrument being played, where as on some cd's the bass or rhythm guitar will sound as if it's drowned out by the drums, lead guitar, or vocals.

This might not get a lot of differing views since I'm not sure if vinyl is popular amongst other EWBers. Vinyl is pretty much a relic from the days before CD's became the norm, and is definitely not as conveinent (it's not portable, nor can it be stored in a book with other discs). Plus there are younger members that may not even have access to records or a record player in their household.

Still, I thought it was worth bringing up, and figured it could make for an interesting discussion.

Always wanted to use a record player, hell I never in came in contact in one before.

I like just playing a CD all way through. That's my favorite way of listening to music

Though at times I'll just listen to a playlist of random songs.

That is a good point you bring up there. With vinyl, or casette, the album is going to be flipped over from side 1/A to side 2/B. You can save yourself the time and energy (albeit it's not much) of flipping the damn record over.

Though as I think about casettes now, I kind of wish I had a casette deck just to remind myself of what casettes sounded like. It's been a long fucking time.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Vinyl, ideally, but I don't own a decent record player at the moment. It depends on the band, though. Most new music I'd much rather listen to on CD, but something like The Smiths sounds so much better on vinyl...especially The Smiths, in fact, they're a band that are really helped by the "flaws" of vinyl.

Other than that, CD. I don't own an mp3 player, so I'll listen to CDs whenever I'm walking anywhere, which is all the time, or if I'm in my room on the laptop or playing video games that don't require music. Generally I'll listen to a CD all the way through a couple of times, then play it on shuffle most of the other times I listen to it.

Then if I'm on my PC, which is a rarity these days, I'll listen to mp3s.

Definately.

But other than live, I pretty much permanently (whenever my PC is turned on) listen to a playlist of every track I own, randomised on Winamp.

Sometimes I pause it if I'm doing stuff that needs sound, etc, like Youtube videos (or DVD's, obviously. But not games. I just turn it down for games :P). But yeah...

Ugh. The randomiser is my enemy. I have so many different genres and styles of music on my computer and what I listen to so depends on my mood and time of the day. What may be my favourite song to listen to the day before may be the LAST thing I'd want to listen to the next day. I need complete control over what comes next in a playlist.

I love my record player. It's this beast of a machine from the 1950's. It was something given to me in my grandmother's will. It's wonderful, almost 60 years later and it's still in prestine condition. I've also got thousands of records from Queen to the Beatles, Elvis to Johnny Cash, practically every pop single from the 1940's to the 1970's. My grandfather owned a jukebox company and thus had boxes and boxes of records which I've started pouring though lately.

Ugh. The randomiser is my enemy. I have so many different genres and styles of music on my computer and what I listen to so depends on my mood and time of the day. What may be my favourite song to listen to the day before may be the LAST thing I'd want to listen to the next day. I need complete control over what comes next in a playlist.

I love my record player. It's this beast of a machine from the 1950's. It was something given to me in my grandmother's will. It's wonderful, almost 60 years later and it's still in prestine condition. I've also got thousands of records from Queen to the Beatles, Elvis to Johnny Cash, practically every pop single from the 1940's to the 1970's. My grandfather owned a jukebox company and thus had boxes and boxes of records which I've started pouring though lately.

I'm not afraid to admit I'm absolutely jealous. I'd love to get my hands on a vintage turntable like that, and I can only imagine the gold mines of 50s rock classics you have.

I'm the same, I could listen to a song 10 times one day, but the next day I wouldn't want to even hear the intro.

I have such a huge range of genre's of music, Rap, Rock, Nu Metal, Punk, Metal, Drum and Bass etc, so I listen to what I feel into on that day. I mean there are songs on my WMP that I havn't listening to in weeks because I havn't been in that mood.

I have an iPod now, but I've got a huge CD collection, and was perfectly happy whipping around with my personal CD player in my pocket. Hvaing an iPod now means that I don't tend to get as much time with newer CD's, whilst going out with 1 specific CD means I get a chance to properly listen to it and enjoy it.

I have an original 1960's record player, a Danestter one. It still works fine, although I'm gonna need a new needle for it soon though. Vinyl's I love, especially for more older stuff, I have a ton of old and various bits of old cheese (Vanilla Ice, Survivor, New Kids On The Block).

The majority of my music collection is mp3, which doesn't bother me, it saves on space, and I only get stuff I really like on vinyl.

I've got about 300+ cd's from my dj'ing days, and theres a bit of everything in there, but eventually I'd rather tranfer it to mp3 to save space really.

I'm not afraid to admit I'm absolutely jealous. I'd love to get my hands on a vintage turntable like that, and I can only imagine the gold mines of 50s rock classics you have.

The record shop I used to work in had an amazing, really good quality, old fifties record player, played 78s and 16s (not that I've ever seen a 16 in my life), and was one of the most beautiful pieces of equipment I'd ever seen, but neither me or my boss had the heart to take it home, it just looked perfect sitting in the shop. No idea if he's sold it or not, I might pick it up if not.