Barbaro Euthanized

ACCBiggz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those interested, there is a press conference scheduled for 4:00 pm EST on ESPNEWS concerning Barbaro. They may announce service plans, but nothing has been released, they are speculating that he'll be buried back at his owners farm, but no word on a public service.

To have Barbaro not just win, but dominate the Derby (largest margin of victory in what, 60 years? They said the post-race gallop stretched that to some ridiculous distance that was almost unheard of, too) immediately brought bigger ratings and more hype to the Preakness just because of how dominant he was. Horse racing isn't huge but people want to see a Triple Crown winner; the closer the Derby, the less interesting the Preakness is, but when some horse blows the competitors out of the fucking water like Barbaro did, it's a "Holy shit, he might be the one" moment across the country. The Derby winner is always on the national news broadcasts, so it's pretty hard to not know the winner just because of the exposure given.

And then at the Preakness, just like that, in an instant, the entire track + the televised crowd went from "I hope I win this bet" & "Can Barbaro win the Triple Crown?" to "Holy shit what happened to him?" to "Holy fuck, is he going to survive?"

The wrestling equivalent would be something like Kenny winning the Royal Rumble, and then breaking his neck 2-3 weeks later on RAW. That instantaneous swerve from hopes for the future and excitement for the present to the sheer "He might not survive" shock.

That's why Barbaro "matters". He brought to the forefront how dangerous laminitis is (seriously, who here even knew it existed before Barbaro?) and how virtually untreatable it's been for many, many years. His post-Preakness life wasn't spectacular but all things considered he lived a whole lot longer than expected with a much higher quality of life than most could've hoped for, considering how bad the injury was. Not to mention the fact that Barbaro raised thousands upon thousands of dollars in donations for that hospital, and they now have equipment to use in other cases. And thanks to the months of his survival, the doctors have much more experience and knowledge about laminitis and its effects; perhaps someday laminitis won't be a near-death-sentence for horses thanks to said contributions.

That's why Barbaro "matters". He brought to the forefront how dangerous laminitis is (seriously, who here even knew it existed before Barbaro?)

Shauns horse had laminitis. It died. He was very sad.

Funeral plans? For a horse? Seriously?

Is that where we've come to as Americans now?

If they do have a funeral, I wish I had the means to get there...and hand out bottles of glue to everyone who shows up.

What? Too soon?

I bury my animals, is this any different? I don't know if they'll have a full blown funeral for him, but it is no different than burying the family dog. However, more time and money will be spent on him because of his famed status, his worth (multi-million dollar throughbred), and how much he personally meant to the family and the fans he drew during his hardship. Thousands of letters and banners were sent in and placed outside the hospital, banners were signed by vistors to the hospital.

I highly doubt if they have a service thousands will be invited. The family, jockey, trainers, and some industry people may be the only ones. If there were a public thing it'd be the owners talking about how great he was and more, you seem to try to make it something grand to emphasize a moot point. If you don't like it, don't talk about it.

There is something about the outside of a horse that's good for the inside of a man.

- Winston Churchill

Site of Barbaro's greatest triumph could be final resting place

January 30, 2007

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) -- Barbaro's final resting place could be just a few hundred yards from the scene of his greatest triumph in the Kentucky Derby.

Officials at the Kentucky Derby Museum, located on the grounds of Churchill Downs, said Tuesday they'd be "honored" if Barbaro were buried in a garden along with four other Derby winners.

"We've expressed to them how honored we'd be to have Barbaro here," Lynn Ashton, executive director of the museum, said. "We feel like we're bringing horses back to be honored."

The grave sites of Derby winners Sunny's Halo (1983), Carry Back (1961), Swaps (1955) and Brokers Tip (1933) are located outside on the museum grounds.

Owners Gretchen and Roy Jackson said Monday a final decision on where Barbaro would be buried had not been made. Other possibilities include the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Ky., and the Jacksons' Lael Farm, just a few miles away from the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center.

The Jacksons did not immediately return phone calls Tuesday morning.

Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his gruesome breakdown at last year's Preakness, ending an eight-month ordeal that made him even more of a hero than he was as an undefeated Derby winner.

Funeral plans? For a horse? Seriously?

Is that where we've come to as Americans now?

If they do have a funeral, I wish I had the means to get there...and hand out bottles of glue to everyone who shows up.

What? Too soon?

I bury my animals, is this any different? I don't know if they'll have a full blown funeral for him, but it is no different than burying the family dog. However, more time and money will be spent on him because of his famed status, his worth (multi-million dollar throughbred), and how much he personally meant to the family and the fans he drew during his hardship. Thousands of letters and banners were sent in and placed outside the hospital, banners were signed by vistors to the hospital.

Yeah you bury your dog, but you don't have a funeral for it with thousands of strangers showing up to watch highlight tapes of his greatest moments while Barbra Streisand sings "Wind Beneath My Wings". I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what happens to this friggin' horse.

Jesus christ, god forbid they should love their horse. What business is it of yours anyways what people are going to do?

To quote Ralph Cifaretto:

"It was a fucking animal."

His injury was sad but I take issue with the people who sent cards to the horse. Condolence cards for a fucking horse? You might as well take the money and set it on fire. Seriously, a fucking horse? SportsCenter had a "Barbaro 2003-2007" graphic. Lord, this country is fucked up.

To quote Ralph Cifaretto:

"It was a fucking animal."

His injury was sad but I take issue with the people who sent cards to the horse. Condolence cards for a fucking horse? You might as well take the money and set it on fire. Seriously, a fucking horse? SportsCenter had a "Barbaro 2003-2007" graphic. Lord, this country is fucked up.

Yeah, and you're just a "fucking person" too.

Guest muddatrucker

When Best Mate the horse died, a girl tried telling me he was a hero and how peoples hopes and dreams rested upon him (more like gamblers money) - a hero to me is someone that saves or attempts to save someone else at the risk of themselves - a horse is not a hero.

This is more of an attack on the girl rather than a horse, but yeah, nevermind. I'm sure Schumacher cried when he got given a new ferrari too ¬.¬