What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

So, I've been watching quite an amount of recently-released movie over the past week or so.

The Crazies - Arguably my favorite "zombie" movie since the 28 Days/Weeks movies, though that doesn't really say much. Nowadays, you find plenty of genre movies try to stand out by being breaking form, but this is a perfect example of where keeping it simple just works. Timothy Olyphant is awesome, Radha Mitchell isn't as annoying here as she tends to be, the supporting cast does their job, the action is fun.. the movie just works. Check it out. 8/10

Pandorum - I wanted to like this movie. I really did. The premise was great, the set designs amazing, the special effects looked legit, Ben Foster is awesome, and even Dennis Quaid is fine in small doses and certain roles. It starts off well enough, and at one point I thought I would be watching some love baby of a film by a Dead Space fanboy and a Bioshock fanboy, but oh god does it fall apart. The plot is convulated and cliche'd to the utmost degree, the rest of the non-Quaid/Foster characters are mind-boggling annoying, useless or both, the creatures are worthless, and though the ending is a nice twist, by that point I just did not give a shit. I considered turning the flick off about an hour into it, but the effects, set designs and story was intriguing enough that I stuck it through. Don't make the same mistake I did, you'll just be sorely disappointed. 4/10

Daybreakers - Again, great premise, legitimate effects/set designs, intriguing story, but it all just falls apart shortly after the Willem Dafoe character is introduced. The "cure" is fucking retarded, and the movie just never lives up to it's promise. Easily skippable. 5/10

Kick-Ass - The shit. Watch it if you haven't already. And if you have, then go watch it again. 9/10

Clash of Titans - Piece of shit. How the hell do you fuck up what should have been such an epic movie? Fuck you, Hollywood. 2/10

The Tournament - Nice, mindless action flick for what it is. It's not quite Mean Guns, but whatever. Mean Guns is awesome. This movie's just alright. 6/10

Repo Men - Retarded garbage. Fuck you, Jude Law. 3/10

So I recently got around to watching 9, a film I've wanted to see for some time. I can't make up my mind about it. I am sucker for all things futuristic, sci-fi, dystopian future, that kind of stuff and 9 gave a very interesting image on the whole apocalypse ordeal, although the story is classic; love and hope always wins over bleakness and hopelessness. Now, they worked the themes very well but my problem with this movie is that it was too short. Everything just seemed sort of rushed together and not thoroughly thought through, crammed into a one-and-a-half hour movie that could have done much better with thirty minutes or perhaps even an hour slapped on for more comprehensive storytelling. Everything was just touched but never had the time to be discovered and delivered properly before new plot items were introduced. It annoyed me really, because I wanted to like the movie but I just couldn't. It might have helped to watch the 2005 short animation but I don't know.

Survival of the Dead 1/10

Seriously, if Romero is trying to kill his own franchise, he's doing a damn good job of it. The climax was unbelievably stupid and the 'message' he was trying to convey even more so. Ugh.

Oh god, yes!

I just saw it, and my first thought was "when the hell did Romero start making SyFy movies?"

What an awful, awful movie.

Saw two movies in theatres tonight (aka 1/5 of the number of movies that came out in 2009 that I've seen). First up we had City Island. Since I went in with absolutely no expectations, this was really good. I'd never even heard of it before yesterday, but I'd recommend checking it out. Then there was Kick-Ass...fucking awesome.

Tonights episode of Community was fantastic. The series has just improved every week. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can rewatch this season.

• Like 1

Tonights episode of Community was fantastic. The series has just improved every week. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can rewatch this season.

I agree wholeheartedly. It was made much better due to my Die Hard love.

Solomon Kane 7/10

It was good fun, James Purefoy delivered the goods in his performance as Kane, but the film felt a little underwhelming as a whole. Worth a watch if you're into the whole Action Fantasy genre though.

Oh my god I was made to watch Twilight last night...sweet Jesus christ is it bad. I mean, really, really, really, really, really bad. Everything about it's terrible. The story, the pacing...just fuck. I was at least expecting something a little more EPIC! All I got was some pasty bellend who's MADLY in love with another pasty bellend for no discernible reason other that he's 'pretty' and looks like he's been decorated by nursery school class.

Pile of wank.

The other night in my boredom I caught one of those straight to DVD "American Pie" films on Sky Movies. It had fucking Louisa Lytton in it, whose audio appeared to be redubbed over her out of synch like in those weird adverts for toilet air fresheners where the little Asian kid's having a shit and talking to his mam outside. Also the film climaxed with the 'Stiffler' character getting RAPED BY A MOOSE (a really shit unconvincing looking moose, fuck I hate CGI)...but I'm sorry right, since when is BEING RAPED BY A MOOSE a suitable comeuppance for being "a bit of a dick". Also, they had a total LOW RENT Jonah Hill guy in it...that takes fucking something.

Speaking of CGI, well lack there of. Thursday's episode of "Outnumbered" might go down as one of the greatest episodes of tele I have ever seen, the pigeon stuff just fantastic (the lass all "You've upset me and you've upset the bird" and then the looking on her face as it flies towards her, amazing). Ben's really come into his own this series, it's basically HIS show now. The little girl's still fantastic and the older kid's being phased out a bit (makes sense), but he's still there to add to the plot and I like the fact he gets more respect from the little ones than his mam and dad do.

Edited by YI
  • Like 1

Clash Of The Titans - 8/10 I hadn't heard a lot of good things going in, so I was a little pesemestic. But I have a huge soft spot for Greek Mythology. I didn't go in a smart and cunning film filled with wonderful characters development. I expected to have some watching some fun action. I ended up have a shit load of fun watching a really entertaining film. It was just a fun ride from the off. I loved all the mythology villains. It was just a lot of fun; and that's all this film needed to be (Y)

Clash Of The Titans - 8/10 I hadn't heard a lot of good things going in, so I was a little pesemestic. But I have a huge soft spot for Greek Mythology. I didn't go in a smart and cunning film filled with wonderful characters development. I expected to have some watching some fun action. I ended up have a shit load of fun watching a really entertaining film. It was just a fun ride from the off. I loved all the mythology villains. It was just a lot of fun; and that's all this film needed to be (Y)

This x1000.