What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Losers - 7/10

Just a fun action movie that has Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jason Patric putting in very solid performances but honestly, Chris Evans stole the show but I'm pretty sure his character was meant to since it was designed for comic relief. The direction was a bit cliche but overall, not bad, especially considering the director previously did Step Up. It's not going to win awards but just a good movie you can watch and not think a whole lot about.

The Losers - 7/10

Just a fun action movie that has Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jason Patric putting in very solid performances but honestly, Chris Evans stole the show but I'm pretty sure his character was meant to since it was designed for comic relief. The direction was a bit cliche but overall, not bad, especially considering the director previously did Step Up. It's not going to win awards but just a good movie you can watch and not think a whole lot about.

I've been considering it ever since it leaked it's way out onto the net.

Up (9.5/10) - I'm a big fan of Pixar's stuff, they usually put out high quality animated films that everyone can enjoy and the storytelling, dialog and characters that they come up with are second to none. Up is just another feather in their hat. Tons of fun but still a storyline that you can appreciate and it makes you think after the movie is over. Plus, I just loved the dog, Dug. I think if you could put a voice collar on nearly any dog, thats exactly what it'd sound like. Totally worth getting a hold of.

The Road (8.5/10) - So after being happy with Up, I went the complete opposite with The Road. This is really one of the most depressing movies you can watch, the scenery is bleak and grey, nearly everyone has resorted to cannibalism and all Viggo Mortensen wants to do is get his son to the ocean. Speaking of Mortensen, he's amazing in this. He has the cold, dead eyes of someone that's seen some really disturbing shit and lived through it and also looks like someone that's been living off of basically nothing for years. Seriously, this is some depressing shit, but thats exactly what it was meant to be. Also totally worth getting a hold of.

Brooklyn's Finest (7/10) - Not a terrible movie by any stretch of the immagination, but when put against the previous two theres no real chance. There's a really good cast in this but the person I was most surprised about was Wesley Snipes, who did a very good job as a recently released ex con. I shouldn't have been surprised though.because Snipes seems to have three roles down pretty well: Police Officer, Ex Con and Vampire Hunter. If you get the chance, give it a shot because it does have a pretty decent cast (Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke) but I wouldn't go out looking for a copy.

Edited by Hellfire

So yeah, just got home from seeing Kick-Ass. I thought it was a very interesting take on the whole superhero ordeal although I found the fighting scenes to be overtly bloody. Going from Kick-Ass batons to suddenly Hit-Girl cutting throats with butterfly knives and what have you could have perhaps been paced a bit better. However, I was thoroughly entertained. It also had a classic formula too, which was built in nicely to the films plot. Now, I haven't read the comics (but perhaps I should) so that might be why I was not over-the-top excited for this, nor when I came out of the cinema. It was a good superhero movie but nothing more than that. Did a pretty good take on why you shouldn't actually try what he does in the movie, though, with the whole public execution thing. Chloe Moretz did a hell of a job, though.

My experience might have been tartered also by this annoying cunt sitting behind me, constantly mouthing off of why she didn't like this and why she didn't think this or that was funny. I was this close to just turning around and telling her to just shut up or fuck off out. :shifty:

Dead Alive. Amazing film.

Undead Or Alive. Less amazing. Really fucking dumb, but I liked it just because Navi Rawat is hot and I lovelovelove the whole concept of zombies in the Old West.

State of Play (6.5/10) - I didn't actually know what this movie was about until I started watching it and now that I think I about it I might have gotten it confused with Body of Lies but this wasn't too bad. It was pretty suspenseful, lots of twists and turns and had a good story behind it. Honestly, it deserves a higher rating than I gave it, I was just in the mood to see something different. If it were on TV or you can get a hold of it, I'd give it a chance.

Mullholland Drive - 10/10 Wow, mindfuck. Loved it. The world needs more Justin Theroux.

Hot Tub Time Machine - 8/10 Another very fun movie. I've just gone back to going to the cinema and really enjoying films. It wasn't anything breathtaking, but it was just a fun film to watch. A lot of laugh out loud moments. Really dug it.

Black Dynamite (8.5/10) - Absolutely ridiculous and fun as hell to watch. I don't know if they were trying to make fun of the 70's blaxploitation films or just set out to make a really awesome one but it totally worked. There were little things like the car not being put into park or the same explosion clip being used twice that made me laugh, and the action/fighting scenes were pretty well done too. I think the best thing had to be the story, which got more and more ridiculous as it progressed, but I totally wasn't expecting the ending. The fight was great though. Totally worth checking out.

The Descent 2

A very good film which answered some of the questions that needed to be from the first. It's still open for a third but I haven't seen anything online to suggest another just yet. :/

Really? I thought that was one of the worst follow up movies I've ever had to sit through. It just seemed to have nothing what so ever added to it and let's be honest, the story was beyond horrendous and idiotic. The first was great and damn exciting, but they didn't seem to put any effort what so ever into the second.

Edge of Darkness (3/10) - What a complete mess. This film did so little to entertain me that I really should have just shut it off, but for some reason I just powered through it. It seemed like the movie was trying to turn Mel Gibson into Liam Neeson's character from Taken, which I could have gotten behind mainly because Mel Gibson could definitely pull off a crazy person but they didn't actually go through with it and his character wasn't the one to actually resolve anything. which made this whole movie fall flat to me. I was going to give this a 2/10, but I added a point because I did enjoy the guy nailing the chick with the car and tearing the door off the car. Very well done. Find that on youtube or something, then avoid this movie like it was the plague.

The Descent 2

A very good film which answered some of the questions that needed to be from the first. It's still open for a third but I haven't seen anything online to suggest another just yet. hmm.gif

Really? I thought that was one of the worst follow up movies I've ever had to sit through. It just seemed to have nothing what so ever added to it and let's be honest, the story was beyond horrendous and idiotic. The first was great and damn exciting, but they didn't seem to put any effort what so ever into the second.

The crawlers looked much better and they carried on the Juno character, which was awesome. Seeing her swinging a blade about was brilliant ...but I do love me some Natalie Mendoza.

descent-6.jpg

wub.gif Indeed.

Also, I thought the ending was good. If they ever did make a 3rd, we'd get an explanation about why the guy threw the last surviving character back down the ditch, 'feeding' her to them.

So, I managed to catch The Crazies. It was a solid and alternative zombie film, certainly one of the better ones, but it was not more than that. It was just The Crazies, had some spooky moments and such but I was bit underwhelmed by it. It did hinge to some clichés, it did have some cheap scare tactics but it wasn't offensively bad nor was it amazingly good. Despite being underswhelmed by it, I still enjoyed it although it probably isn't worth watching again unless I can also get a hold of the original. Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchell worked well together though, with Olyphant doing a very believable guilty cop thing before the whole thing turns bananas. When it did, it was pretty average overall.

I also just finished Paranormal Activity. Now see THAT was underwhelming. I was expecting a movie I could actually sit and watch and be interested in but I just wasn't. The story and setup was interesting and spooky but the execution just felt a bit flat. I'm not calling for over-the-top special effects, blood and gore and what have you, I liked the simple approach but it just came off so boring; sadly, because I really wanted to like the movie.

Cop Out. If you've seen the trailer, you've kind of seen the movie. Not that the film is inherently bad, it's just the main funny parts are in the trailer. It was a decent waste of however long it was though. 7/10

I finally gave in and progressed onto watching series 5 of How I Met Your Mother. I love this show (and Cobie), I really do. Something seems to have been lost in this series though, but I'm not sure what, but I really like how the episodes have a message to them. And I love and hate them for the way how they seem to get so close to finally letting you know who the mother is... and then pull away.

No Country for Old Men. 7/10

Performances were good, I loved the Anton character, but it was all brought down by the ending which was complete and utter rubbish. I enjoyed it, but personally I can't see what the hype was all about.

Yeah, I was pretty much in the same boat about No Country for Old Men. The performances were great, I loved the cinematography and the direction was good, I just didn't think the overall story was all that amazing.