What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Been to the cinema twice this week:

Four Lions: A comedy about suicide bombers?? How could a comedy about something so controversial be so damn funny??? So many highlights, moved from serious to hilarious seamlessly, great cast of characters. And done in such a way where I laughed all the way through the film, but made me think on the walk home. A definite dvd purchase. 8/10

Nightmare On Elm Street: Shock horror! A horror film remake that ISN'T terrible?? Sure it's not in the same league as the original by a long shot, but its still a half-decent film. The new Freddie (Jackie Earl Haley, I think) does a good job, even if he overdoes it at times. The acting and characters are pretty dull, but the recreated scenes from the original mostly come across well. I liked that we get a flashback to Freddie's death, added a lot to the character. Some of the visual effects moving from reality into dream are well done as well. 5/10

Just watched the season finales of Community and Parks & Rec. Both shows have been great this season, and I really excited for next season.

Edited by Toe

Starship Troopers (8.5/10) - Starship Troopers was one of my favorite movies when I was younger but I haven't seen it in a little while and was unsure if it was as good as I remembered. It most certainly was. There were little things I missed before, like Neal Patrick Harris being in the movie and the fact that the whole movie is a satire, which totally went over my head when I was younger. The news clips they played between scenes were great and really gave you the feeling that this was an actual place, rather than just a movie. This is the type of movie that doesn't really need a sequel, but I would have loved one anyways.

( I will punch you directly in the genitals if you tell me that Starship Troopers 2 is a sequel, the movie had none of the original cast and was so bad I'd rather stick a wagon full of rusty nails up my ass than even think about that visual abortion ever again.)

• Like 1

I Love You Philip Morris. Yeah, I, um, I really don't know what to think of this. It certainly wasn't good, but a part of it near the end makes you think, until it's snatched back away again. I was fully expecting an out-and-out Jim Carrey comedy though, which it wasn't. Ewan McGregor was pretty decent in it. I certainly never want to see Carrey having sex with a man again though. :mellow:

Starship Troopers 3 was okay. It wasn't needed and only Rico returned, but it wasn't that bad.

I haven't seen it yet but I've heard decent things, which makes me happy. Starship Troopers 2 was just terrible. Terrible terrible movie.

So I just watched Drag Me To Hell and I had no idea it was supposed to be a comedy. Or at least a very funny and hilarious film. But then again when it is Sam Raimi, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It so has Evil Dead written all over it. And I love it.

• Like 1

Prince Of Persia 7/10 - It was fun. The dialogue was wooden, and at the times everything felt forces and sometimes dumb. But the action was really quick-paced. Arteton and Gylenhall make a good pairing and it makes for a fun way to spend a few hours.

Robin Hood - 7.5/10 - I can't put my feelings into words. It was a fine movie. It was exactly what I expected with the names involved. But it didn't wow me. There was nothing unexpected. It's almost if it lacked flare.

The Losers - 8/10 Really fucking fun. Fast-paced, likeable action movie which hit all the right notes for me. Great fun.

Robin Hood - 7/10 - It was good at times, I thought Russell Crowe was pretty decent and I enjoyed Oscar Isaac as King John. I thought it dragged on a bit at times and in general it felt a bit more like a history lesson with the magna carta and whatnot. Still a fun viewing though and enjoyable.

Finally got around to watching Into the Wild which I got about a week ago for £2.99 on DVD. I absolutely love the soundtrack (then I would be impartial seeing as it's Eddie Vedder), and now giving the context of how it was used in the film it seems even better. Whereas the soundtrack was too short (around 33 minutes, with 2 minutes of silence in that too), I feel as the film itself went on for a little too long at 2 hours and 20 minutes. However, it was still a great film about a guy (Christopher McCandless, played by Emile Hirsch) who just says "fuck this" and decides to go for a wander, and realises that he had what he wanted all along. There are some great quotes from McCandless throughout the film, and for once Vince Vaughan was playing a role with a bit of heart. I'll give this a 8/10, but as mentioned the length took away slightly for my liking.

Cop Out.....2/10- Watched the movie with my ex a couple weeks ago, and I don't know what was worse....the movie or the company. (She wasn't my ex at the time by the way). Anyways, I really thought this movie had the chance to be a poor man's Lethal Weapon or even Rush Hour. Instead it was just Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan dropping F bombs, and doing stuff that was stupid.

Robin Hood.....8.3- I probably rated this a little higher then most, because of the fact that going into the movie I was told that it was complete rubish. However I really liked the movie. It was a different tale on the Robin Hood series, which I liked, and Russel Crowe brought out the Gladiator type fighting that I expected to see. However the only thing that I disliked was the ending. I actually might have rated the movie a full point higher if the ending was better. Instead I just felt like I was watching a Lord of the Rings movie, which ended with a "...to be continued" basically. But still, Robin Hood was a very fine movie.

The Back Up Plan.....2.4 Yeah, I'm pretty sure this movie wasn't meant for my demographic. It had one or two scenes that were funny, however it was a chick movie through and through.

Prince of Persia......9.2 I cannot say enough good things about the movie. It isn't going to win any awards for it's acting, but if you take the movie for what it is worth, which I did, then you should be happy. The action was nice, the storyline was never dull, and the effects were different. It's not 'Batman;Dark Knight' great, but it is one of my favorite movies this summer so far.

Street Dance 3D - 6/10 I almost feel a bit bad for giving the rating this high. The acting was not very good at all, bar one or two. We've seen the story all before. But my God were some of the dance moves breathtaking and extremley entertaing. I could look past all the bad acting to watch some amazing dance routines. So I was entertained. And the 3D was well worth the money. It gave the dances an increased depth which made them look even better. Somehow, I enjoyed this one.

Get Him to the Greek: 9/10, easily. It's everything you would expect from a Judd Apatow produced movie. Hilarious comedy that comes with a special meaning at the end. I don't want to spoil the movie so I'll just say this, if you like any Apatow movie, you will love this one. I'm buying it for sure when it comes out on DVD. The wait is already killing me, and the movie opened this weekend. <_<

Smokin' Aces - 8/10 I've been wanting to watch this for a little while since I saw a clip a few years back. The ensemble cast is really quite something for this movie; Ryan Reynolds being the emotional center and highlight. There's a lot going on in this movie; and from the go - it's a real fast paced movie that doesn't break. Ever. It qiickly turns into an action-packed bloodbath which is beynod entertaining.

Get Him to the Greek: 9/10, easily. It's everything you would expect from a Judd Apatow produced movie. Hilarious comedy that comes with a special meaning at the end. I don't want to spoil the movie so I'll just say this, if you like any Apatow movie, you will love this one. I'm buying it for sure when it comes out on DVD. The wait is already killing me, and the movie opened this weekend. <_<

You forgot to mention that it stars Jonah Hill, easily the least talented and un-funniest of all of Apatow's friends.

Boo to you Baddar. Boo!

I also watched like 3/4 of Rocky 3 the other day during my break at work. I never watched Rocky until recently and felt the first one sucked. This one was awesome though. Mr. T and Hogan were brilliant and it was just an all around fun film. Apollo Creed is more awesome as a good guy.

THERE IS NO TOMORROW