What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The 400 Blows is one of my favourite films. I recommend the others in the Antoine Doinel series too: Stolen Kisses and Bed on Board (there's Love on the Run too but that's a glorified clip show).

This.

Oh man, this was good.

I loved the ending. Thought that tracking shot was brilliant and I'm glad he got to see the sea. His relationship with his parents, and their changing attitudes, is not only interesting, but really sad. It's heartbreaking how the teacher rejecting his paper virtually destroyed his life, as you feel his relationship with his parents, and school, would've dramatically improved.

He just didn't cheat on that paper, damn it. :angry:

I also saw Bedazzled starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore last night at the BFI because a friend of mine had a spare ticket and fell in love with it. The film's so funny and I was laughing out loud constantly - the atmosphere definitely helped as the theatre was full of huge fans. It's just wit and humour you don't get in modern comedy anymore and it's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Easily one of my favourite comedies ever made and everyone should watch it.

Just saw silver linings playbook, and I was very surprised by how good it was. Probably my favourite Bradley Cooper film. He was very believable as a guy with mental health issues and Jennifer Lawrence was excellent too. The scenes between the two of them are the best in the movie. Plus de Niros in it and in a way he was the character I connected to the most and felt for.

The Danny Elfman soundtrack is great too. Its just a big shame that this will likely get passed over because its buried beneath the shit tastic Twilight and the still plodding on 10 times a day Skyfall. Well worth a watch over the "blockbusters" out now.

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought it would. I might have built it up a little too much, but I definitely left the theatre slightly dissapointed.

However, hitting a deer on the way home might have added to the night being so poor in retrospect.

Watching the Halloween movies in a marathon and I just finished 5... A few things I'm wondering about is why are they showing Michael as more of a human? I don't get it, he unmasks and is this clean shaven babyface of a guy... I read before the only ones that really matter are 1, 2, & H20... Also what's with the person in black busting Michael out? I'm legitimately confused...

Ten - A film about ten different conversations that happen in a car, it's an Iranian film which only uses two different camera angles. At times, it can visually get a little boring, but I found it particularly interesting and moving. The camera work at the start is really horrible, as you stay with a horrible child for sixteen minutes as we hear him berate his mother, who we don't see until he leaves the car. It wasn't exactly a fun watch, but it was really, really interesting and proved what you can do with such minimal equipment and budget.

Watched Halloween H20, and damn, Jamie Lee Curtis takes the cake in probably the coolest movie moment for me. When she tells everyone to leave and finally has enough and is ready to go face to face with Michael, she just comes off as such a bad ass holding the ax and yelling his name!

Also, absolutely hated #6. They pretty much turned him from just an evil bastard to a supernatural cult product. I guess what I heard was right, the only ones really needed to get the whole story is the first two, then H20. Three doesn't even have Michael Myers... 4, 5, and 6 are just awful and ignored completely once Jamie Lee Curtis comes back... And I've seen Resurrection before, and it's just kind of silly.

Edited by BuddyAwesome

Watched Halloween H20, and damn, Jamie Lee Curtis takes the cake in probably the coolest movie moment for me. When she tells everyone to leave and finally has enough and is ready to go face to face with Michael, she just comes off as such a bad ass holding the ax and yelling his name!

Also, absolutely hated #6. They pretty much turned him from just an evil bastard to a supernatural cult product. I guess what I heard was right, the only ones really needed to get the whole story is the first two, then H20. Three doesn't even have Michael Myers... 4, 5, and 6 are just awful and ignored completely once Jamie Lee Curtis comes back... And I've seen Resurrection before, and it's just kind of silly.

I agree with this completely. The other films are crap, I haven't seen 3 though. I know they wanted to make Halloween an Anthology series though which is why they did away with Michael Myers after Halloween II. That didn't work out so they went back to Michael Myers. Things went downhill from there but H20 is a good film. I especially like the end.

Also, I went to see Pulp Fiction tonight at the local movie theater. They had a special screening celebrating Tarantino's 20 years as a film maker. It's to coincide with the release of his Tarantino XX Blu-Ray Collection. Something neat before the film they showed some hand-picked trailers that Quentin Tarantino chose from his own collection. The trailers were Machine Gun McCain, Scarface, and The Killer.

Well the original idea behind the Halloween movies was one would be released every year, on or around Halloween, with a different theme. The first 2 were to be about Michael Myers, then the third would start the trend with different themes. The third was recieved so poorly, because at this point everyone expected Michael Myers, so they abandoned the idea and instead made it the typical slash series

Seven Psychopaths is superb. Maybe its because I just saw it, or its been a slow few weeks for cinema, or I didnt have massive expectations, but I absolutely loved it. Id need to think on it but possibly the funniest film Ive seen all year. Harrelson, Farrell and Rockwell (?) are all great but, naturally, Christopher Walken steals the show. I cant tell you how impressed I was with this movie.