What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Sin City ( well half of it :angry: ) 9/10

I was watching this fucking masterpiece but then the fucking sound started fucking up in the movie theater. I got like 4 free tickets so I can go again, which I defentally will be doing on Monday.

poster1_large.jpg

The Ring twO - 8/10

I went into this movie with an open mind, or an attempted open mind seeing as I am a massive fan of the entire "Ring" franchise. That goes all the way from the Japanese originals to the American movies. Firstly, I hated Ring 2 (the Japanese version) because it in my view added absolutly nothing on the original and wasn't scary - it just didn't have the scare factor. So I went to see this movie quietly confident that because it was totally new it should allow the original mistakes to be removed. Well it did, and although it wasn't perfect, I did really like it.

But starting with the good this movie was freaky, it had spots where I wasn't sure I actually wanted to look at the screen...and then when I decided to keep watching it made me jump. The deaths in this movie look a lot more horrific than in the original...the corpses faces are taken to another level and make the scare factor get increased. Especially with the directing from Hideo Nakata - which focuses in on the faces at "scare" points to good effect. It had a lot of people jumping into the ceiling, and I even heard some screams from inside the cinema when it happened.

Another big plus of this movie (without going into too much detail) was the buildup to the conclusion. It was just brillant, although when we actually got to the ending it did feel a bit too much and did feel even to happen too quickly. Despite that I did still like it, although this feeling of confusion about if I actually really liked it or not is odd. The nice twist of Samara's real mother was also good in the whole event of things, I had actually forgotten the Morgans had adopted her (despite the fact it was mentioned in the original).

The final and biggest plus for me about this movie would have to be Samara. Her character development is nothing short of amazing. But you'll have to check that out to see. Ooh and there are some cool scenes in this movie, I keep thinking of more and more positives...now that's gotta be a good thing!

There are a few negatives however which bring this movie down. The main line of the entire film was comedic, it made the entire cinema burst into laughter. It seemed bad to make a horror movie like this have such a shit line as the main highlight. Moving swiftly on I didn't like the new location too much, it felt out of place to me - although I don't think that would be a factor to anyone else. Finally the middle of the movie, while doing its intended job, did seem to be very slow and lagging. I was checking my watch then before it got into the build up to the conclusion.

Overall, this gets a very solid 8/10. This is a movie for fans of the Ring, and I don't think they could have done much better in many areas. It felt good to watch it and I highly suggest it to anyone.

Go see this now!

Edited by TAFKA Castroneves

Rocky IV

Rating: 10/10

Never gets boring, the best Rocky film by far. Ivan Drago is a cool russian trained by using all the machines while Rocky trains Old School style in the show and the logs of wood. Absolute fantastic film :)

Sin City - 7.5/10

I already wrote a big ass review for it, so I'm not going to do that here. Just know that one of the major downfalls is some of the minor character's acting (Especially Michael Madsen, who I LOVE.)

Edited by Mysterio2000X

18403825.jpg

Guess Who - 5/10 - I was going to see Sin City, but got there too late and it was sold out across the board. I guess that's what we get for trying to hit up a new movie theater. Anyway, I saw this little "gem" for three reasons.

A. I was already there.

B. Melinda and Melinda got some really bad reviews.

C. It seemed like a good date flick.

So, I came in with low expectiations and the movie delivered a bit better, but it was still not the best. It had some good laughs, but a lot of pedestrian stuff so it really didn't outshine much in it's genre.

20433-1.jpg

Road Trip - 7/10 - This is a really fun movie and this is about the fourth time I see it. I also saw this movie years ago with rather low expectations, but was really amused by it. Great for laughs even if you are a stuck up asshole.

Here are the film I saw recently, in brief detail due to the fact I'm too lazy to expand on them, and the fact that I've seen them all already.

Vegas Vacation - 6/10

While some gags are weakly done, other gags do provide some laughs to the fourth Vacation feature.

Bruce Almighty - 7/10

I like Carell and Carrey, I hate being oversentimental.

Die Hard With A Vengeance - 8/10

While it goes on a little long for even an action movie, the third Die Hard still pumps up the entertainment factor.

Matchstick Men - 8/10

The talent in this is all very good as well as Ridley Scott. In fact, my only real problem is that the twist could've been better. Still, it's very good.

The Girl Next Door - 8/10

Still one of the best films of 2004, with solid acting and direction all around. That said, a few scenes still feel whiny but all in all, a good teen romantic comedy.

B0002T2R3C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Judgment - 5/10

This flick is Christian-produced fare from Cloud 10 Pictures, who brought the successful Left Behind adaptations that became major forces in the video market. This flick includes a couple of the more famous Christian actors in Corbin Bernsen and the eccentric Mr. T. This flick does get pretty preachy and Bernsen isn't exactly the best actor around, though, he's not too bad. Also, the ending felt far too sudden for its own good. Still, there's an excellently done shot at the beginning, and the story isn't too bad. All in all, it's meh, but better than most of this type of film. With this and the decent Left Behind movies, maybe the Christian film genre is getting better than preachy propaganda. Maybe there's some decent entertainment in it, too.

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

Judgment - 5/10

This flick is Christian-produced fare from Cloud 10 Pictures, who brought the successful Left Behind adaptations that became major forces in the video market. This flick includes a couple of the more famous Christian actors in Corbin Bernsen and the eccentric Mr. T. This flick does get pretty preachy and Bernsen isn't exactly the best actor around, though, he's not too bad. Also, the ending felt far too sudden for its own good. Still, there's an excellently done shot at the beginning, and the story isn't too bad. All in all, it's meh, but better than most of this type of film. With this and the decent Left Behind movies, maybe the Christian film genre is getting better than preachy propaganda. Maybe there's some decent entertainment in it, too.

Judgment - 5/10

Left Behind 3 later this year... can't wait since I loved the first 2, it just worries me about all the washed up actors in Cloud Ten's other movies, I might have to check a few of them out though.

B0002NRRBA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

9.5/10

Any fan of Godsmack should watch this, as it's a great watch. It talks about how they come up with some of the ideas they use when touring, and how it's like to be on tour a lot of the time. There are some personal glimpses like Sully and his daughter, as well as Shannon and his daughter as well. Overall, it's a great DVD and I reccomend to anybody, not even Godsmack fans really. And even if you hate their in-studio stuff, you have to love the fact that they're probably one of, if not the best, live band out there right now. This DVD definitely brought back memories of when I saw them last year. Great, great DVD.

B00005LZOD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Open Your Eyes - 8/10

Now here's a flick ahead of its time. This Spanish flick proves to be very good and worthwhile in story. The film was apparantly done so well, that it became the material for the Cameron Crowe film Vanilla Sky. This flick actually happens to have better performances than Sky did, as Eduardo Noriega and Penelope Cruz charm and perform very well. Not to mention, the Sofia character is much better written in this, where she proves to be more than mere romantic pawn. Some have also argued that this is much more understandable than the confusing remake. Either way, if you haven't been convinced that Penelope Cruz has talent, watch this. It's amazing.

B00005JLWN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Equilibrium - 8/10

Writer/director Kurt Wimmer creates a dark and cold mix of Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World in his 2002 film Equilibrium. While the critical reaction was very weak and box office was very poor, the flick seemd to be hated on for the wrong reasons. Sure, the Gun Kata teeters more to the Matrix clone side of things, but reviews saying the film was "cold and sterile" entirely missed the point. The story and atmosphere was purposely made cold to prove the dark theme and make you hope for the main character, John Preston (played by Christian Bale), to liberate himself from the dank society of the future. The film has also been criticized for weak dialogue, which could also be mentioned as done purposefully for the best impact. Overall, while it could be asmired for Gun Kata, I personally think Equilibrium is a very solid homage and a very good film upon itself.