What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

B0001EFTH4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Cheaper By The Dozen - **

Two stars for trying to be a solid family movie but having far too many gags to be anything more than meh.

B00000F0EA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Barb Wire - 1/2*

Half of a star for Pamela Anderson's fake ass titties...

e020928a.jpg

Sideways: 8.5/10

Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb 7/10

Decent film, not a really funny film, but as quite a few chuckles (mostly near the end), and has a very watchable quality to it. Though I'm not sure baout repeat viewings. Still, glad I saw it the once. Fairly decent story too.

B00005JMXO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

New York Minute - *

Now that was bad. What a waste of good talent. That talent, of course, being names like Eugene Levy, Andy Richter, Darrell Hammond, and even Dr. Drew Pinsky, who is severly mis-cast as the dad. It also encounters the unfortunate fate of most of the Olsen twins' STV films, as in being horribly cliche, badly acted, and unintentionally funny. Joe Dirt director Dennie Gordon does not make it any bit better at all, with average directing. One star for having good talent, albeit very much wasted.

B00018U9G6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

School of Rock - ***

Freaks and Geeks writer Mike White has done some amazing writing past the critically acclaimed but cancelled show, including the sleeper cult hit Orange County and his Jennifer Aniston/Jake Gyllenhaal flick The Good Girl. But nothing became as huge for as his Jack Black flick School of Rock, which got major help from famed director Richard Linklater. The film works well because it is funny, yet it has heart and solid acting (then again, any performance from a Cusack can make a flick watchable). The plot and style is also not that of a traditional gag-filled comedy, as it relies more on Black being funny, and thus feels refreshing in the age of weak comedies like Along Came Polly. Three stars for being a very refreshing comedy in an age of meh ones.

Clerks: 10/10

Chasing Amy: 10/10

Jay and Silent Bob strike Back: 10/10

without a doubt in my mind these three movies are the greatest flicks ever made

Swimming Upstream : 6/10

good to see Ben Savage(Corey from Boy Meets World) in another movie. the movie itself is run of the mill . boy has Leukemia , and he tries to reconcile with his drunkard dad.

Good movie if your like me and hooked on watching movies on LMN

B0006IIKS0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster - ***1/2 (7/10)

Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky's "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster" is a gritty documentary that pulls no punches, in turn doing a greater service to the band being examined. The film follows Metallica members James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett through the arduous process of recording the band's 2003 album St. Anger, including their numerous group therapy sessions as well as James' rehab stint and bass player Jason Newstead's sudden departure. What I really like about this film is how effective the human drama goes over. At the top of the food chain, if you will, are James and Lars, the two remaining original band members. Their egos come into conflict recurrently throughout the film, and when James goes into rehab, Lars seems to feel more inconvenienced than concerned. Somewhere below them in influence is producer Bob Rock, the man who has shaped the band's sound over the past 10 years, for better or for worse. Phil Towle, the band's therapist, is brought in to manage these egos, and frequently chimes in on band issues, even the music related ones. At the bottom of this chain is Kirk Hammett, the virtuoso guitarist who so effectively replaced Dave Mustaine in 1983. The most poignant line in the film is when James is complaining of feeling that everything is out of his hands and that Lars is in charge, to which Kirk replies "To me, that just sounds like the past 15 years". Interesting human drama along with kick ass rock music make this one of the best documentaries of last year. Thumbs up.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. *****

Wow. This is going into my top ten movie list. The only complaint I have ever heard about this movie is that the characters are impossible to associate with. I think this was an intentional act on the part of Kaufman. Everything in this movie is a contrast you have the beach in winter, the extrovert falling for the introvert, and hate being a by-product of love etc. Whilst it seems on the surface that this contrast need not extend to the main characters it’s for this reason that this movie made me cry - a first for me watching a movie BTW. The relationship is supposed to seem destined to fail, having a character cheat wouldn’t have done the job, this movie was obviously intended to be an emotional version of Romeo and Juliet; it’s a story of intense love that is doomed to fail. The premise is that the relationship was intended to fail for the same reason that made the characters fall in love.

My only other two complaints are the music that I felt supported neither the story nor the characters, but since it is in the background and largely inoffensive it’s only a minor annoyance. The other complaint is the length of the movie. It isn’t that the movie runs too long, it’s more that I feel the movie would have been more effective if it had of ended at the end of Joel Barish’s (Jim Carrey) treatment. We had already seen the conclusion of the movie and I believe that the Mary (Kirsten Dunst) and Dr. Howard Mierzwiak (Tom Wilkinson) subplot could have been ignored without much damage to the movie. But really this is all small nitpicking stuff. Try as I might I cannot think of one thing that was a negative of this movie.

I am also struggling to place into words the positives of this movie. All of my analytical skills are lost in dissecting this movie. Instead all that is left are emotions, which are as contrasted as this movie. It makes you feel cold and warm at the same time. It helps you recognise holes in your own personal relationships whilst making you feel a connection to people.

B00003CY51.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Baby Boy - 6.5/10

Pretty good film, not one that was anything amazing though. Think it just lacked something at certain times, but also had a decent story to it. Not enough Snoop Dogg though.

image.jpg

Just Ask For Diamond - 9/10

I still love this film. It's a classic English film from years and years back. I brought it in the early 90's as a child and I've still got that same video, with the old Ritz sticker and prize on it and everything. As a kid I loved it and I still do. Just has something about it, so damn awesome. Shame nowhere around the internet has the proper video case picture.

hide2.jpg

Hide and Seek - 8.5/10

Awesome movie to add to my collection of seen movies so far this year. So far every single movie I've seen at the Cinema has been off the hook. This was another great movie in my opinion. Had a good twist and was so weird at times that it was good. I partly see the ending coming how it all went but still a great movie.

aleisha_allen2.jpg

Are We There Yet? - 8.5/10

Another movie I went to see at the cinema and yet again it ruled. I loved pretty much all of it. Ice Cube played his role to perfection, with everyone else pretty much doing the same. I enjoyed pretty much the whole movie, great job right here.

I cant get to sleep so now I'm off to watch 'For Your Eyes Only' and 'The Beach'. After that though I'm returning my movies to Blockbuster and getting three more out, so if anyone could, tell me a film or two to check out. Not really new, nothing within the last year as I'm going for the three movies for £5 deal which means no really new movies. Much appreciated for anyone who helps me out. Into all sorts I suppose, more action/comedy I'd say. Comedy certainly, looking for a great comedy that I aint seen.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

B00003CWM3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Beach - 10/10

Okay, for over a year or more I've been wanting to see this film. Why? Well to be truthal, mainly because I'm a big All Saints fan and adore the soundtrack. So yeah, everytime I see the video to Pure Shores it makes me need and want to see the film. So finally after a huge wait, I get to see it. Just finished watching and personally I think it's amazing, I love every minute of it. Eternal Sunshine and TTIHAY both just got knocked of my top spot and this is in at number one. I fucking love Leo, that guy is so damn awesome. I think he's amazing in this film, my favourite film of his. The setting and colouring on the film is gorgeous, along with a beach scene that made me think of FFX for some reason.

Started very weird, I was liking the entire setting and the feel it gave. After a good thirty minutes when the film was properly on it's way, I began to feel it even more. Cant really say much more, loved every minute of it. Brilliant acting with some amazing scenes plus a superb soundtrack, great stuff.

moreabsorbent.jpg

7/10