What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

National Lampoon's Animal House was amusing, but I feel like a lot of it was lessened by the fact I've already seen so many homages ("I'm going to need a continuous tape of 'Louie Louie'"). That's not to say it's bad at all, but just that the jokes aren't as fresh to me as they could be through no fault of the film.

Belushi absolutely steals the film. Even the stuff I already knew was way funnier with his delivery, and every scene without him I was hoping for or waiting for him to appear. Hilarious stuff.

I've got plenty saved to watch but could always do with more if you've got some ideas.

What do you have? I'll be happy to give you a few more :)

At some point I want to watch the Dollars trilogy, but at the moment Sky Movies has only the second one available on demand. Like, what the hell?

It's probably because For a Few Dollars More is the lamest of the three (in my opinion, especially with how wonderfully it ends with Good, Bad and Ugly, which is the sort of prequel, either way). Either way, it's still really worth a watch, and it doesn't matter, they're only a trilogy in the sense that Eastwood doesn't have a name in all three and Sergio Leone is the director. In every other way, they're basically standalone movies.

The Magnificent Seven Ride, The Lone Ranger (2013), Avenging Angel, The Cowboys, Tombstone, Once Upon a Time In The West, The Bravados, Blaxing Saddles, McCabe and Mrs Miller, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, El Dorado, The Comancheroz, North To Alaska, Hondo and The Gunfighter are what I have at the moment. Adding the Dollars trilogy when it comes up on Sky Movies.

Been years since I watched Blazing Saddles. It's on the list of films that that "I feel like watching but force myself not to because they would waste valuable Film 365 time". :shifty:

Not many 'westerns' that have guest appearances from the likes of Nazi soldiers, after all...

The Magnificent Seven Ride, The Lone Ranger (2013), Avenging Angel, The Cowboys, Tombstone, Once Upon a Time In The West, The Bravados, Blaxing Saddles, McCabe and Mrs Miller, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, El Dorado, The Comancheroz, North To Alaska, Hondo and The Gunfighter are what I have at the moment. Adding the Dollars trilogy when it comes up on Sky Movies.

I'd recommend this one first, it's just plain fantastic! I actually haven't seen a bunch of those, of the ones you've listed, I've seen Once Upon a Time, Liberty Vance, El Dorado, the Gunfighter, Blazing Saddles and The Cowboys.

I'd recommend:

High Plains Drifter and The Pale Rider - They're kind of like the Dollars trilogy, in that Eastwood is nameless in both, he's the Stranger in Drifter and the Preacher in Pale Rider, and they both also give Eastwood's character a sort of reverie.

Once Upon a Time... a Revolution - The sequel to Once Upon a Time in the West, James Coburn is amazing in it. Like the Dollars trilogy, though, they're standalone movies.

3:10 to Yuma - I haven't seen the original, but the remake with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe is really fucking good. It's one of those amazing brutal westerns. Kind of overlooked among the recent Westerns.

Winchester '73 - One of Jimmy Stewart's most overlooked westerns. It's all about this prized Winchester '73 rifle because they only made like 100 or something, and how everyone, including Indians, want it.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I don't think I need to give any reason for this, right? It's like a must-watch if you're into westerns. Robert Redford and Paul Newman are just fucking splendid as a tandem here, I think their chemistry here is better than in the Sting. Plus, Katharine Ross :wub:

Unforgiven - Ditto. It's Eastwood's greatest movie. I have a feeling you've seen it, though :P

Dances with Wolves - I watched this only recently, and was surprised how good it was! Kevin Costner is this soldier who gets stranded alone at a post in the middle of the desert in America, and he starts befriending a tribe of Native Americans, eventually falling in love and being the saviour of them. It's typical white man saves Indians stuff, but it's really good. I've never been a bigger fan of Costner before this.

True Grit - The recent one with Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon and Hailie Steinfield is really good, watch that if you haven't. Then watch the one with John Wayne, because it's even better.

No Country for Old Men - Pretty sure you've seen this too, but it's one of the best movies ever. Watch it again :P

The Proposition - This is some crazy stuff. It's set in Australia, and has Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone and Danny Huston being absolutely lovely.

Maverick - I think this is my favourite comedy western. It's so silly and not very, very good, but a ton of fun, even if Mel Gibson turned out to be a pleb.

The Magnificent Seven - The American version of Seven Samurai. Really fun, tons of cool stuff.

Nobody - Johnny Depp's best performance, and some really wild stuff here too.

That's what I can think of from glancing about my movies folder. Sorry, it's not much.

• Like 1

Once Upon A Time.. A Revolution is great. I prefer the title "Duck, You Sucker" though.

Also, My Name Is Nobody. Spaghetti western comedy with Terrence Hill.

Might I make a small suggestion? If people watch something using various streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO2Go etc...), put somewhere in your post that you watched it on that so other people know how to watch said movies

Once Upon A Time.. A Revolution is great. I prefer the title "Duck, You Sucker" though.

Also, My Name Is Nobody. Spaghetti western comedy with Terrence Hill.

Have you watched Once Upon A Time in America, Cloudy? Is it good? It's bloody long, so I never had the inclination to put in the time. 3 hours 40 minutes, oh man.

It's funny watching George C. Scott in Patton (1970) [Amazon Prime] because I always have his character from Dr. Strangelove in the back of my mind when he's talking...

Other than that it's pretty much your typical Acclaimed War Film: well-done but at the same time most of it is not massively engaging. Oh, and it's very, very long.

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

So, wow, Blue Jasmine was basically just trying to emulate this, eh? Vivien Leigh was amazing, and Karl Malden is just all kinds of magic. Is it wrong that I didn't like Brando's part as much as I thought I would? I just think Leigh and Malden overshadowed him.

The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift was better than the second, but probably on par with the first. Some awkward moments, but a good cast (particularly the actors who played Han and DK) and characters really worked. The drift scenes were really cool and had great camera work, and aside from the usual tacked on love story it had a fun plot.

Just keep in mind that Tokyo Drift actually takes place between 6 and 7. (well, after an extra scene at the end of 6, and then 7)

For westerns, I'd recommend:

The John Ford Cavalry trilogy (Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, and Rio Grande), , The Searchers, The Fastest Gun Alive, Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid, Silverado, The Sabata trilogy (well, maybe skip the one with Yul Brenner instead of Lee Van Cleef), High Noon AND every film that Benkid recommended. Especially Winchester `73, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sacketts and Unforgiven. The original version of 3:10 to Yuma is better than the remake, but they're both excellent.

Also, watch these James Garner movies:

Support Your Local Sheriff

Support Your Local Gunfighter!

A Man Called Sledge

Hour Of The Gun

Sunset

(Watch the last two back to back. There's a reason.)

Edited by GhostMachine