Sony Picture making Metal Gear Movie

ragbag

At the Electronic Entertainment Expo last year, Konami revealed that work had begun on a live-action movie based on Metal Gear Solid. The news broke via a pamphlet for Studio Kojima, the Konami-owned development house headed up by Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima.

"I have received many offers to adapt Metal Gear Solid. It has taken a long time, but we have finally settled on an arrangement," Kojima said in a statement. "False facts aside, a movie project is underway. I have finalized a Class-A contract with a party in Hollywood."

For eight months, the identity of the aforementioned "party" was unknown. That changed this week, when Sony Pictures Entertainment vice chairman Yair Landau revealed his studio is developing the project.

"We're working with the Metal Gear guys," Landau told GameSpot following his D.I.C.E. summit keynote address in Las Vegas. "It's a very cinematic game, it really lends itself to movie telling. But the question is, 'How do you translate Snake's experience into a full arc that conforms to what audiences expect on the large screen?'"

Landau also hinted the Metal Gear Solid movie may just be the beginning. "There are other games we are looking to develop," the executive said. "We're working with one of my favorite producers right now on an idea for an EverQuest movie." The producer was apparently of such stature that Landau declined to name him. "I'll let him disclose that," he said cryptically.

Besides the forthcoming World of Warcraft film, currently in development at Warner Bros., the Metal Gear Solid movie is the highest-profile game-film project in Hollywood. Previously, that stature was held by the Peter Jackson-produced Halo adaptation, which imploded last year.

*orgasm*

Kurl Russell would probably be the ultimate Snake choice, although he'd need to lose weight from Poseidon. He's getting a bit old recently. If this had been Escape From... era then he'd be a shoe-in.

Tommy Lee Jones for Revolver Ocelot though!

Eh, Russell could still play the part. Hollywood makeup can make anyone look a few years younger, plus Russell has the character down perfect since Solid Snake isn't anything but a complete ripoff of Snake Plisskin anyway.

Hey, didn't I cast Kurt Russell for the MGS movie in one of my movie diaries? >_>

(I think I casted him for the Splinter Cell movie, too.)

EDIT: And while Russell is obviously a great pick for it, I am skeptical that Hollywood would let him do it after the massive string of flops the man's had.

Edited by Anus's Biggest Fan!

It'll be damn difficult to pull off, but pretty much the best way to go about it would be to take the plot of MGS, remove a fair few un-necessary scenes and characters, and throw in some flashbacks to explain things like Big Boss and Gray Fox. Then there's the problem of how you get across the lengthy Colonel/Snake Codec conversations without boring the hell out of your audience, but it's probably possible. The storyline would have to have some major chop work done to it, though.

I, for one, cannot wait, anyway. I've been begging for this since I first played MSG. If they get the casting right, it could be superb. And hell, why not just get David Hayter to bulk up? >_> can't imagine anyone else voicing Snake.

Speaking of which, reading David Hayter's Wiki Trivia, he sounds like a top bloke.

Erm...yeah, get Kurt Russel. By MGS and MGS2 Snake had completely transformed from the musclebound action hero of MG1 into the bastard offspring of Snake Pliskin and Bruce Springsteen anyway. I can't think of anyone else that could play him, but I'm sure there's plenty. I'm trying to think who to play Liquid, though.

Edited by Skummunist

I, for one, cannot wait, anyway. I've been begging for this since I first played MSG. If they get the casting right, it could be superb. And hell, why not just get David Hayter to bulk up? I can't imagine anyone else voicing Snake.

Hayter looks way too young, plus the voice is really just Russell's voice he uses for Plissken.

Edited by Zero

"Hayter is the only Metal Gear Solid actor to date to have played and beaten the Metal Gear games he's voiced in."

However, 'nuff respect for that. Gotta love a guy who loves what he works in. The fact he wanted to be involved in writing for an animated movie and gave up money for others to come onboard Twin Snakes to up the voice quality is great.

"He also co-wrote The Scorpion King and produced unused drafts for Hulk and The Chronicles of Riddick."

Gah. even Solid Snake's not perfect! :pinch:

Scorpion King wasn't a bad movie and they were *unused* drafts of Hulk & Riddick..

"He also co-wrote The Scorpion King and produced unused drafts for Hulk and The Chronicles of Riddick."

Gah. even Solid Snake's not perfect! :pinch:

Scorpion King wasn't a bad movie and they were *unused* drafts of Hulk & Riddick..

A good portion of the time, unused drafts are better than the actual movie. (see Evil, Resident)

Edited by Zero

Well, they didn't cast Denzel Washington, so they've done the Hitman movie one up already.