Footy teams

Which have the biggest following? I'm curious, as FSN's been showing games at 2am lately. Both games I've caught have been Reading games, one against Tottenham and the other against some team in black jerseys (I forgot the name..).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest global following would be your teams such as Man Utd, Chelseas and Liverpools - from England at least. Arsenal are pretty big too.

Reading will have been shown because there the hot team this season, they just got promoted from the league below and are currently doing really well this year. Much like Wigan last year (who fell like a brick now this season :D).

But yeah, the biggest teams will be Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur. I'd imagine anyways. Three of which are all London teams~

Newcastle may have had a larger following back when they were more than average, but I doubt they'll be as big as they may have been years ago.

Man Utd are on a level that the other clubs can't imagine.

Sure, Chelsea are getting there but Man Utd were the first team to break Asia; and we brought Beckham so it will be a long time before a British team has the Global support Man U.

Don't believe me? Watch any 2002 World Cup game with South Korea playing. 50% of the Korea fans are wearing Man U shirts as the red matches their own kits. :D

Chelsea aren't particularly big. They're trying, but they aren't all that. From England in terms of popularity it's Man Utd by far, with Arsenal or Liverpool just behind. I'd say Newcastle are more popular than Chelsea still to be honest.

What teams have black jerseys? >_> I wanna know who I was watching Reading play against in that first game I watched.

Chelsea are probably bigger in the USA with their latest tours and stuff over there, probably moreso than other clubs. Mind you, we're probably going to fall into the trap of a total moronic ignorant American here, whereas we probably need to think of someone with maybe a shred of intelligence for football, but maybe doesn't know it that well.

If we ask any random American they'd probably say Man Utd if any, but if you ask someone with a little bit more knowledge about them they can probably name 5 or 6 teams, much like some people can name maybe 5 or 6 American sports teams without knowing much.

Not to mention the overtakings by American businessmen may help, such as the Glazier's taking over Man Utd (do they still want them out? :P), Hicks and Gillard taking over Liverpool etc. Chelsea have toured USA for the past two seasons I think, so they're obviously trying. Either way, I doubt Newcastle have much of a fanbase over in America right now.

And I'd say Chelsea are probably better known than you think.

Doughnut, bearing in mind that was mostly down to Beckham.

Yeah. I totally agree. The guy was amazing for our finances.

Beckham helped us to establish the Man Utd brand in Asia and America, and although losing Beckham hurt, Park Ji-Sung has helped it somewhat. Seriously; he has.

Guest Ringy Said Knock You Out

According to Bobby McMahon who's is FSN's footy analysts, the English teams with the biggest following in the US are:

Man Utd

Blackburn

Newcastle

Everton.

With the most hated team being Arsenal.

The 'biggest' clubs in England are Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs, Newcastle and Villa. More or less in that order.

I'd aruge that Arsenal are 'bigger' than Chelsea, and Spurs are higher than both Chelsea and Everton. The only reason I suggest this is that a lot of what makes a club 'big' is thier respective histories. Chelsea and Everton don't have it as much as Spurs and Arsenal do.

Though if we are talking purely based on fans, I dunno myself.

On a similar note, what would people say the 10 most supported teams in England are as I was having this conversation with my mates the other day, but its hard to get a wide mix due to the area we live in being the Midlands, we think Midlands teams have high followings compared to others due to not knowing fans for them.

Personally I think its Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs, Everton, Sunderland, Leeds and Aston Villa. A couple of them are definately disputeable though

Leeds possibly, Sunderland I don't know. I mean we often sell out our away ticket allotments for matches, and can attract a decent 30k or so crowd to home matches but I'm not sure about the top 10.

EDIT: My bad Thomas, but yeah, they do play in black - they've worn it a lot recently.

Edited by IAceI

On a similar note, what would people say the 10 most supported teams in England are as I was having this conversation with my mates the other day, but its hard to get a wide mix due to the area we live in being the Midlands, we think Midlands teams have high followings compared to others due to not knowing fans for them.

Personally I think its Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs, Everton, Sunderland, Leeds and Aston Villa. A couple of them are definately disputeable though

What teams have black jerseys? >_> I wanna know who I was watching Reading play against in that first game I watched.

Were Reading at home or away? No teams have an all black home shirt. Chelsea have a black third shirt, Man City have a black away kit, Newcastle play in black and white striped shirt, and Fulham also have a black away shirt.

I wouldn't know for the life of me. :ohwell: I had the volume low so as to not wake my roommate up so if they said anything during the commentary I didn't hear it. I caught the game about mid-way through too, so that doesn't help things.