MMA News and Discussion Thread

I have Gilbert at #3. Looking at the records, I have to put Gilbert ahead of BJ, solely because BJ just dropped down from 170, has only beaten Pulver so far, and didn't do enough at Welterweight since returning to justify him dropping and suddenly becoming top 5. Judging by skill may be a different story, but not in this case, IMO. Sherk, I won't rank until he's served or somehow cleared of his suspension.

I had Shaolin a close #4, it was a toss up between the two before a few weeks ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box;_ylt=AncLb4ZdL...4rPLxccjDQ5nYcB

Click "View More Videos" below the video's section. In the window that pops up, search for "Strikeforce" (the bottom of the window was cut off for me, so it could be right there) and it will show up in the search results.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Two rematches are put on hold as Rashad Evans will take on Michael Bisping at UFC 78. Meh, this fight does nothing for me. Sure it is a battle of unbeating TUF winners/Light Heavyweights, but the two rematches are easily more interesting than this fight. This fight would be a good headliner for a Spike TV show but certainly not for a PPV.

There isn't a main event caliber fight rumor on the card either. Fight-wise, it's appears to look pretty damn solid, but no marquee, non-TUF names on it. EDIT: Besides Karo, but even he would need to be paired up against a big name.

Main Card Bouts:

-Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping

-Karo Parisyan (#6 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Hector Lombard

-Spencer Fisher vs. Frankie Edgar

-Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva

-David Terrell vs. Ed Herman

Preliminary Bouts:

-Thiago Alves vs. Ryo Chonan

-Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory

-Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt

It's got the makings of a great undercard, but nothing to top it off and make it a solid buy. I'll watch it without worrying about my wallet either way, but I can just hear the infuriated screams of the "anti-TUF" keyboard warriors calling this the worst card ever.

This is still the rumored card and Bisping/Evans came out of nowhere, so who knows what else is going to be announced. MMAWeekly says its the main event... so I don't know.

I don't see a bad fight on there. Alexander/Silva should end early and spectacularly, Alves/Chonan should be a great fight, Fisher/Edgar too. Hector Lomdard is kind of random, though. The only fight I've seen with him was against Akihiro Gono. He looked pretty ok, though I only vaguely remember the fight. From what I remember he had good hands, but Gono was too crafty to allow the strikes to play a big factor in the fight and he ended up losing a decision. Also, Lombard is an Olympic caliber Judoka. Everybody knows Judo is Karo's thing. EDIT: Not that I'm favoring Lombard, but for a guy with good, technical boxing (while Karo's is much more of a heavy handed slugger) and more renowned Judo, it makes it seem more intriguing than Karo vs. a guy no UFC fan has heard of.

Bisping/Evans and Herman/Terrell both make this an interesting card, but the lacking of a big main event sucks.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Tito's reason for no rematch with Evans at UFC 78

The following is a post from Tito Ortiz over on The Underground Forum:

From: FUTA1 Date: 10/04/07 01:55 AM Member Since: 01/01/2001 1072 Total Posts Ignore User

Getting in shape. I'm doing rehab for my injurys. I'm sick of fight 75%. I'm trying to pay my bills injured and making guys like evans and forrest look good. I can't do it anymore. I'm going to take some time to take care of myself. Everone wants the old Tito back and I'm going to give it to them.

UFC will not be on HBO, not that it was really expected at this point anyways.

"After lots of discussion it became apparent that the business model doesn't make sense for either one of us. So we agreed to go our separate ways," said HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg in a statement. "You never know what the future holds. We have enormous respect and admiration for the executives we dealt with at the UFC. We with them well."

Calling NBC. Calling NBC.

Seriously, it isn't a terrible idea. NBC has been slumping for some time now and boxing used to be on network TV for folks before PPV. NBC should try to strike a deak with the UFC for say... 4 cards a year, one each quarter. Slap a nice 7 second delay on it for FCC purposes and I think it'd work out well for both. UFC gets the advantage of boasting about being on network TV while NBC wins the demographic easily on those events.

Just a thought, it won't happen, which is why I should run NBC.... and does (and bring back Studio 60 :().