MMA News and Discussion Thread

He really couldn't have, Aina was doing an excellent job defending. Just because he had the back doesn't mean he could have just magically gotten the choke. It was well defended at the time and that's why it wasn't sunk in, although he did almost have the armbar at the end.

You can't say that "if he worked for the takedown it'd be over", Aina did a good job with wrist control on his back and didn't allow Nick to get a clean shot for a submission. It's like saying if you get inside the 20 you should always score a touchdown, you still have a defense there in front of you preventing you. I had Diaz in the 2nd by TKO, which may have been the end had he had more time in that first round. Aina won the fight on my card 29-28, but what ya gonna do.

The problem is with judge's themselves. Cecil Peoples and such come from karate backgrounds with point scoring, while others may be ex-boxing judges, or jiu-jitsu, and then others simply look at the round and say one guy one that one. There needs to be like a judges conference where the commissions, organizations, etc. all get together and try to have a seminar and discussion about why they would judge it this way and not another way.

I was watching the post fight press conference and all that came out of it was that Gary Shaw is looking into finding a "suitable opponent" for Gina for a Women's championship. They need to find one above 140 as she cannot make that weight class without looking in rough shape before. And Shaw stated that they will indeed have a 160 pound division. Now how does this go about being made? Since the athletic commissions do not have 160 pound divisions, do they have to petition for this to be made so they can make a title for it or what? I know PRIDE had a 160 division for their lightweights, but there is no 160 division in the US. So can they just make divisions up themselves or do they need to get it approved or what? I guess if they continue to fight in places that don't have commissions then they are fine I guess. Not that it is a big deal, but I was just wondering how that works. I wonder if Gomi would come into EliteXC if they have a 160 title so we could see Gomi vs. Diaz for the first EliteXC 160 title fight.

I was on MMAjunkie.com and saw this:

The judge who scored the match 30-27 Diaz was spotted chatting on his cell phone at one point during the fight and spent a chunk of round 1 with his back turned to the fight, engaging a woman sitting at the press table in a conversation.
Edited by Fitzy

I did horrible in K-1 predictions.

Opening Bouts

Takenori Sato def. Kenji Nagai - Tapout (Armbar) 2:40 R1

Tashiro Nishiuchi def. Wataru Takahashi - Unanimous Decision

Tournament Reserve Bout

Kazuyuki Miyata def. Harvey Harra - Tapout (Armbar) 1:13 R1

Middleweight Tournament Semifinals

Andre Dida def. Caol Uno - Unanimous Decision (2 Rds)

Gesias “JZ” Calvancanti def. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro - TKO (Ref Stoppage - Strikes) 0:35 R1

Individual Bouts

Ikuhisa Minowa def. Kevin Casey - TKO (Ref Stoppage - Strikes) 0:42 R2

Dong Sik Yoon def. Zelg Galesic - Tapout (Armbar) 1:29 R1

Melvin Manhoef def. Fabio Silva - TKO (Ref Stoppage - Strikes) 1:00 R1

Sergei Kharitonov def. Alistair Overeem - TKO (Ref Stoppage - Strikes) 4:21 R1

Kazushi Sakuraba def. Katsuyori Shibata - Tapout (Armbar) 6:20 R1

Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto def. Bibiano Fernandes - Unanimous Decision (3 Rds)

Middleweight Tournament Finals

Gesias "JZ" Calvancanti def. Andre Dida - Tapout (Armbar) 4:48 R1

THat JZ/Shaolin fight should have been better but what are you going to do when you get jacked 35 seconds into the bout. I missed the fight, they had the entrances and of course it was all in Japanese so I was typing next thing I know bell rings and I hear shouting from the commentators.... over.

In other in-ring happenings this evening, the most notorious Gracie family fighter, Rickson Gracie, came into the HERO'S ring to announce his intention to return to fighting.

Though no opponent or date was specified, Gracie expressed to the fans in attendance that "I'd like to fight forever, but that's not possible. But, I think there's still one good fight left in me though."

MMAJunkie is reporting that Chris Lytle is moving to WEC and will be granted an immediate title shot against Carlos Condit for the Welterweight title. I like that they are moving Lytle down there as it gives WEC more talent plus the UFC Welterweight division is stacked and Lytle will probably be better off in WEC.

And also Marvin Eastman is off of UFC 77 due to just having eye surgery.

MMA Playground says I got 6-4 for HERO'S.

Anyways, WO has confirmed that Ryo Chonan has signed with the UFC. And MMAJunkie.com is reporting that Akihiro Gono is just about set to fight Tamdan McCrory at UFC 78, as says McCrory's manager.

Gono and Chonan aren't big time signings, but both guys are solid additions to the UFC middleweight division. They'll make worthy tests for anybody at 185, if nothing else.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Nog vs. Mir. That would have been Frank Mir fight I could (most likely) predict correctly for a change. Wow, if it does happen, Frank might as well slap a submission on himself, because when Frank Mir is gassed out, he'd be a sitting duck just begging to be caught.

I can even see Nog being able to manage a Gogo without much of a fight from an exhausted Frank Mir.

Seriously though, I could see Nog keeping it standing for the most part, pick Frank apart systematically with his boxing. Frank would be running on empty through the second, making him an easy target to be on the receiving end of more technical striking. Nog prefers to keep it standing on the feet when he feels his "strike to score" strategy is working, so more of the same until either the fight ends or if it goes to the ground, then there is a whole other set of weapons for Nog to school Mir with. A gassed Frank Mir couldn't pray for a way out of a fluid Minotauro armbar.

Well, that's a lot of talk for a fight that is "unlikely"... I got caught up.