MMA News and Discussion Thread

thehype: FightHype would like to welcome Sokoudjou to tonight's chat session

SOKOUDJOU: What up Fighthype!

mosleyfan: obvious question...but....When can we expect to see you fight again?

SOKOUDJOU: Hopefully by mid-September.

SOKOUDJOU: That's what I'm training for!

skankpunch: did u sign with elite xc?

SOKOUDJOU: No, because they sent us a contract and we had an attorney go over it and we never came to an agreement.

SOKOUDJOU: Im unemployed right now!

SOKOUDJOU: Fighter for hire!

SOKOUDJOU: I'm looking for work right now. Is there anyone who wants to hire me?

jaz: In an ideal world, who would you want to fight next?

SOKOUDJOU: I would love to fight Shogun or Tito, but it seems like I will never be in the UFC and Shogun has someone lined up!

mikerg: How many weeks do you train for a fight?

SOKOUDJOU: Usually it's eight weeks. We usually have 8 weeks to prepare for a fight. I started my camp at the beginning of the month, so hopefully by September.

mosleyfan: Is it tough to train and mentally stay focused when you're not even sure if you'll be fighting?

SOKOUDJOU: Yeah, its really tough because your focus is not on any certain fighter. It's really tough. You dont have a gameplan or anything.

skankpunch: so what orgs are you talking with? Is the UFC not offering u enough money?

SOKOUDJOU: Put it this way, the UFC is where I would love to fight, but the UFC is all about protecting people. I'm hoping to get a call saying "Forrest Griffin can't fight, do you want to fight Shogun?"

SOKOUDJOU: That's my dream.

SOKOUDJOU: I told them screw the money. I want to fight this and that person, but they wanted me to fight nobodys.

jaz: How do you think Rua will do against Forrest Griffin?

SOKOUDJOU: Well, to tell you the truth, I would love for Forrest to call in sick!

teetoe: How has your boy Dan Henderson been looking in preparation for his fight with Rampage?

SOKOUDJOU: He's been looking good. He's been beating people up every day!

muaythaifan: Any chance we might see you fight Fedor?

SOKOUDJOU: After my fight in Japan, we went to a Bodog show. My manager said Fedor is the guy standing between me and my dream car; a Benz CL600

SOKOUDJOU: I would love to fight him!

SOKOUDJOU: We are both unemployed so maybe we can fight for a job.

mikerg: Whats weaknesses do Fedor have in your opinion?

SOKOUDJOU: His stand-up sucks.

mosleyfan: What do you think about Liddell-Jardine being a PPV fight while Rampage-Henderson is free on Spike and in England no less? Do you think Dana is showing favoritism to a couple of fighters who just got knocked out?

SOKOUDJOU: Dan isnt really known in the US. It's better for Dan to be on free TV for exposure. You cant say UFC without saying Chuck, so it would be good for Dan to be on free TV.

SOKOUDJOU: It's good for Dan and Chuck is just so marketable.

thehype: good answer

SOKOUDJOU: Thanks.

skankpunch: Can you give us specific names u asked for in the ufc, and names the ufc wanted u to fight instead? who gets the better of each other in practice between matt lindland and dan henderson?

SOKOUDJOU: They're friends, but in the ring, they hate each other. I will just give one name. I asked to be on the card with Dan on free TV and I asked for Michael Bisbing and they basically asked me if I was on crack.

SOKOUDJOU: I dont want to name any names they offered me and start some shit.

thehype: obviously they weren't anyone you felt were elite

SOKOUDJOU: Exactly!

jaz: Where were you training before you hooked up with Dan and Team Quest?

SOKOUDJOU: I was doing my own thing. Everywhere, but nowhere. I hooked up with Dan in 2004. They told me I had potential, but I needed to work on my striking. All I knew was Judo.

SOKOUDJOU: I went to various gyms and learned other things and told them to give me an opponent.

teetoe: Do you ever see yourself fighting Dan Henderson some time down the road?

SOKOUDJOU: If they give me 10 million dollars and they want me to get my ass kicked. No, we would never fight. What's the point of it? We're from the same camp.

muaythaifan: in your opinion, who, besides yourself, do you think are the top five or so light heavyweights in the world?

SOKOUDJOU: I'm not really into rankings. To me, a ranking is when all of the guys fight each other in a tounament and prove who's #1, #2, #3 and so on. I respect every single fighter, but until we have the tounament, I won't say who's #1 or #2.

muaythaifan: and if the UFC offered you the fifth best light heavy, would you be willing to take that fight?

SOKOUDJOU: Who's that?

SOKOUDJOU: If they give me Shogun, I wouldnt care about the rest of them.

muaythaifan: I meant the fifth best in your opinion...but you kind of already answered

SOKOUDJOU: But who do you think is the 5th best?

muaythaifan: good question

muaythaifan: not sure who would be 5th best

muaythaifan: maybe Liddell or Ortiz or someone like that I guess

muaythaifan: but obviously the UFC isn't offering those guys

mikerg: Do you think Tito is overrated?

SOKOUDJOU: Tito has a good marketing plan behind him. I dont know if he's overrated. I never thought about it. Good question. I dont know?

SOKOUDJOU: I'll put it this way...when was the last time he finished a fight before Shamrock?

mosleyfan: Brandon Vera, who they just announced was returning to the UFC, has commented in the past that he'd be willing to move down in weight to fight Chuck Liddell. Do you think he'd be as willing to fight you?

SOKOUDJOU: We train together from time to time. We've had some good sessions together. This is a business and if you put enough money up, fuck it, we can train after the fight .

skankpunch: who do like in the couture v. gonzaga fight? I got u at number 5 in the world by the way behind shogun, henderson, ramapge, and chuck. Not to say u can't beat some of these guys they have just accomplished more up to this point.

SOKOUDJOU: Thats a tough fight for Randy. Gonzaga is a tough grappler. I'll say Randy, but he has a lot of work.

jaz: How would a Rampage-Sokoudjo fight play out?

SOKOUDJOU: I dont know. The only answer is for me to fight him. That's a tough one!

thehype: FightHype would like to thank Sokoudjou for taking time out of his busy schedule to chat with us tonight.

SOKOUDJOU: Be good FightHype and I'll chat with you guys again soon!

Las Vegas, NV (USA) – Dana White, UFC® President, today announced he has signed the mixed martial arts superstar Wanderlei Silva, and that UFC fans could see the Brazilian legend fight by the end of this year.

"This is the pinnacle of my seven year career in this company," said White. "I'm so excited to have Wanderlei under contract. He grabbed my arm and looked me in the eyes like one of his pre-fight staredowns and he said ‘I'm gonna fight so good for you, you're gonna see the best fights ever from Wanderlei Silva.'"

It has been a deal several years in the making, but finally, one of mixed martial arts' unquestioned greats – Silva, the former PRIDE Champion - will return to fighting in the Octagon™ this December for the first time in over seven years to take on the best 205-pound fighters in the world.

"Many fighters have a dream of fighting for the UFC, and as a champion for six years in Japan, my dream has always been to have the UFC belt," said Silva. "Today, I'm one step closer to this goal."

The signing of Silva, which took place in the Zuffa offices in Las Vegas this afternoon, is the culmination of years of pursuit and hard work by White, who weathered a series of ups and downs to get the Brazilian bomber in the UFC, where potential matchups with the likes of former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell await.

The 31-year old Silva, known by fight fans as "The Axe Murderer" for his ultra-aggressive style and finishing ability, began his career almost 11 years ago in his native Brazil, fighting in Vale Tudo bouts that pushed him to the limit as he honed the skills that would soon make him one of the most feared fighters on the planet.

In 1998, Silva would make his UFC debut against Vitor Belfort, and he would fight two more times in the Octagon (including a 2000 bout against Tito Ortiz).

But it was in the PRIDE organization that the legend of Silva was truly born, and after his debut in 1999, he met great success by winning the organization's middleweight championship and defeating the likes of current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton Jackson (twice), Dan Henderson, Kazushi Sakuraba (three times), Ricardo Arona, Hidehiko Yoshida, and Kazuyuki Fujita, while engaging in some of the most memorable fights in MMA history.

"This guy is a real fighter," said White. "He reminds me of Chuck Liddell, and he's the kind of fighter that all fight fans love to see fight. He's a gunslinger. He will get in harm's way to inflict damage and pain. This guy comes out like a speeding train and never stops. He goes for the finish, he likes to knock people out, and I just think he's going to bring so much excitement to the UFC, I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin."

Well-rested after his February PRIDE fight against Dan Henderson, Silva (31-7-1) now looks forward to the next chapter in his career in the UFC.

"I'm gonna work hard to give a great show for the fans and I want to thank God for this opportunity," said Silva, who counts the key elements of his style as raw aggression, emotion, and intensity.

He also wants to send a message to prospective foes.

"I want to issue a warning to the other fighters out there: you need to train hard, because "The Axe Murderer" is here."

A date and opponent for Silva's return will be announced at a later date

On the heels of their first fighter rankings, comes Sherdog's Pound-for-Pound rankings!

For the past century the baddest man on the planet was widely regarded to be boxing's heavyweight champion. That perception has changed rapidly in recent years with the growth of mixed martial arts and an influx of young talent into the sport. Who is the best mixed martial artist -- and by extension the top fighter in the world -- today? Sherdog.com attempts to answer that, and lists nine others who could own the distinction in short order.

1) Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) (26-1-0, 1 NC)

The creation of a pound-for-pound list can be directly traced back to the desire of determining the best fighter regardless of weight. So it is Mastro's Steakhouse-rare when a list is topped by a heavyweight. But such is the greatness of Russian Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures). A complete fighter, Fedor is known for his brilliance in the ring, where he often appears so relaxed it's like he just woke from a Sunday afternoon nap. Fedor, currently weighing contract offers, mixes a vicious ground-striking game with an active submission regimen along with the kind of high-elevation takedowns that only the most dynamic fighters possess. Having stood and gone to the floor with the best in both areas, most pundits regard Emelianenko, the current PRIDE heavyweight champion, to be the finest fighter on the planet.

2) Mauricio Rua (Pictures) (16-2-0)

A staple of any pound-for-pound list, and rightfully so, Shogun's ledger is a hit list of some of 2005's finest. His epic run through 2005's PRIDE 205-pound Grand Prix saw him ice now-UFC kingpin Quinton Jackson (Pictures), Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Pictures), Alistair Overeem (Pictures), and Ricardo Arona (Pictures), in what may be the best 12-month run any MMA fighter has ever put together. Recent wins over respectable opponents such as Kazuhiro Nakamura (Pictures), and another W over Overeem, only serve to solidify the 25-year-old's sterling hit list, which may be due for some fresh additions as he heads to the octagon.

3) Gilbert Melendez (Pictures) (12-0-0)

You won't find "El Niño" on many people's pound-for-pound lists, let alone third. The question is simple: Why not? Melendez is perhaps the only fighter you could name other than B.J. Penn (Pictures), who after achieving top three status in one division, jumped up a weight class to achieve the same stature in another. Melendez's wins over the likes of Hiroyuki Takaya (Pictures) and Rumina Sato (Pictures) saw him emerge as a preeminent featherweight, but he was forced to move up in weight when then-Shooto world champion Alexandre Franca Nogueira (Pictures) did everything in his power to avoid fighting him. At 155, Melendez cemented himself as one of the division's best, emerging victorious in his slugfest with Tatsuya Kawajiri (Pictures) on New Year's Eve. While Melendez may not be the "third best fighter in the world," his resume boasts two divisions of top three credibility, which cannot be balked at.

4) Dan Henderson (Pictures) (22-5-0)

The proverbial snapshot adjacent to the definition would feature Henderson wearing 4-ounce gloves. Fighting from heavyweight to 185 pounds, Henderson is the only man to hold major titles in separate weight divisions at the same time, owning both the PRIDE 205 and 185-pound straps -- and the No. 3 spot at both light heavyweight and middleweight in the Sherdog.com divisional rankings. There are few if any fighters with as an impressive list of opponents, many of which are heavier than the former U.S. Olympic wrestler. A February knockout over Wanderlei Silva (Pictures) helped to diminish the negative impact of Henderson's uninspired 2006 decision loss to Kazuo Misaki (Pictures) at 183 pounds in Japan last year. But no matter, Hendo is a great mixed martial artist and has never failed to fight -- and in many cases defeat -- the best when given the chance.

5) Anderson Silva (19-4-0)

Had Silva not illegally up-kicked Japan's Yushin Okami (Pictures), Silva may very well be 22-3. However the Brazilian Muay Thai sniper had to settle for taking the loss and the eventual UFC middleweight title around his waist. Silva captured the title by demolishing Rich Franklin (Pictures) last October. Recently, Silva side-swiped Nathan Marquardt (Pictures) to hold on to the 185-pound belt. Silva's lanky frame and dangerous striking skills make him a tough night for anyone. Add to that an increased awareness in the cage, as well as improving takedown defense, and it's quite possible Silva won't lose in the UFC middleweight division for several years, especially if he can get post Franklin again, this time in the former champ's hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio.

6) Quinton Jackson (Pictures) (27-6-0)

On the strength of his early knockout against Chuck Liddell (Pictures) in May, "Rampage" Jackson comes in on the cusp of a Top 5 ranking. It's taken some time for Jackson to appear recovered -- both physically and mentally -- from the beatings he endured against Wanderlei Silva (Pictures) and Mauricio Rua (Pictures), but on the eve of his Sept. 8 title defense against PRIDE king Dan Henderson (Pictures) the UFC champion looks as strong as ever. It's really his strength that separates "Rampage" from many fighters at his weight; the gifted Memphis, Tennessean has picked up and slammed a great many opponents, and has harnessed his punching power while learning how to strike in the gym.

7) Takanori Gomi (Pictures) (27-3-0)

The talk of where post-PRIDE Gomi will end up continues to be a major MMA topic, and with good reason: the 28-year-old PRIDE champion is still arguably the best lightweight in the world after seven years in the rarified air of the division. While his spot on the list may have been saved by the bogus technicalities that beautified his record after his wild and woolly loss to Nick Diaz (Pictures), rules are rules -- however silly -- and we must play by them. Besides, in the last two years alone, "The Fireball Kid" has taken home wins over the likes of Tatsuya Kawajiri (Pictures), Hayato Sakurai (Pictures), Marcus Aurelio (Marcus Aurelio' class='LinkSilver'>Pictures) and Mitsuhiro Ishida (Pictures), which is pretty tough to argue with.

8) Shinya Aoki (Pictures) (11-2-0)

Multidivisional success is a huge achievement in MMA, where weight classes aren't a cute four pounds apart. Yet, the 24-year-old Shooto world champion has managed stalwart wins in two weight classes, having knocked off perennial Top 10ers Joachim Hansen (Pictures) and Akira Kikuchi (Pictures) at lightweight and welterweight. While the "Tobikan Judan" doesn't quite fulfill the criteria of dominance expected of pound-for-pound list, he is still one of the few fighters in MMA who deserves to be ranked in two weight classes, which earns him his spot here.

9) Sean Sherk (Pictures) (32-2-1)

However tarnished the UFC titlist may emerge from his ongoing steroid saga doesn't change the fact that, at least for now, he is a winner. A longtime standout welterweight, Sherk punctuated his career at 170 pounds with a win over Nick Diaz (Pictures) before moving down in weight and knocking off Kenny Florian (Pictures) and Hermes Franca (Pictures). Though solid enough to entrench him as a top lightweight, his wins at 155 are not overly outstanding in a pound-for-pound fashion, which is why "The Muscle Shark" takes a dip on this list below other double division standouts.

10) Norifumi Yamamoto (Pictures) (15-1-0, 1 NC)

As these types of lists go there is always a necessary subjectivity that's used to bind the thing together. You can argue that "Kid" Yamamoto doesn't have the wins to make the list -- though he has fought 10 pounds above his natural weight division of 145 for several years. But you can't argue against the explosive fighter's dynamic skills and fighting style, both of which have some suggesting "Kid" needs to have the zero removed from this ranking. Yamamoto is the face of K-1 HERO'S and if he fought regularly against 145-pound competitors, it wouldn't take long before he was regarded the best in the world at that weight.

Brock Lesnar is on hype duty tonight. He cut into the UFC, telling the heavyweights he is going to discombobulate them.

From MMAWeekly.com

A former NCAA heavyweight wrestling national champion and pro wrestling superstar, Brock Lesnar made his mixed martial arts debut in impressive fashion on June 2nd against Min Soo Kim. That fight was fulfillment of a one-fight deal with K-1.

Now, the 30-year-old Lesnar wants to compete in the UFC.

With his collegiate wrestling accomplishments and pro wrestling popularity, Brock Lesnar is one of the highest profile free agents in MMA. Sporting an MMA record of 1-0, what Lesnar lacks in MMA experience, he more than makes up for in potential pay-per-view buys.

Contacted by several promotions, Lesnar is tired of the run-a-round and is ready to ink a deal.

"We're playing the games, but I'm tired of playing games,” stated Lesnar. “It's time for somebody to make a move. I'm going to go down to the UFC and see what the hell is going on down there."

Asked if he has talked to UFC President Dana White about his interest in competing in the Octagon, Lesnar answered, "We've spoken. I cannot deny or confirm anything. I'm just telling you this, I'm going to be there Saturday night and I'm looking for a win. I don't care who it is. If I had to fight somebody, I'd like to fight Randy [Couture]. I'll fight [Gabriel] Gonzaga. We'll see what happens."

He added, "I hope Randy wins that fight. I hope Randy wins that fight and then I can fight him in December."

"I'm going to be attending the UFC this weekend, and I'm going to go down and watch and see in person, because I've watched these guys fight on TV. I'm going to go down there and see for myself and watch these heavyweights that I know I can beat," Lesnar told MMAWeekly.

"I'm looking to fight somebody with credentials. I'm not just talking Silver Medals in Judo. I want a belt. I've fought a lot of tomato cans. I've already had it. You know? I want a fillet Mignon. Let's do it, and do it right. I want to fight somebody, somebody that's got credentials because I've got them too. There isn't a wrestler, there isn't a heavyweight out there my size that has done the things I've done."

Questioned if the UFC is where he'd like to eventually compete, Lesnar responded, "The UFC, they're the big dogs on the street, obviously. You've got Randy Couture, who he's definitely going to be past his prime here. You've got Fedor [Emelianenko]. There's nobody out there that is unbeatable. Okay? All the media builds Fedor into this great monster. Well, every monster has his day.

“There isn't a guy like me walking around that can do the things that I do. These guys, they don't know. Let's put it this way, in college, or everywhere that I've gone, everybody has said that I'm one strong son-of-a-bitch, and that's what I am, and I'm able to back it up."

Lesnar has a wrestling resume that rivals or surpasses most everyone competing in MMA. We've seen accomplished collegiate wrestlers like Randy Couture, Matt Lindland, Josh Koscheck, and others succeed in MMA.

Does Lesnar believe he has the ability to have the same success?

"Absolutely, no doubt in my mind. I mean, you take Randy Couture for example, I mean he's the heavyweight champion of the UFC, but he's a small heavyweight. Let's face it, Tim Sylvia was not a legitimate heavyweight champion," responded Lesnar.

"I enjoyed watching Randy beat the sh*t out of Tim Sylvia. I enjoyed that. I mean take a look at this guy, Tim Sylvia, the guy’s feet; they're damn near webbed. He looks like the Swamp Thing. The guy is a vulture. He can't wrestle worth a crap. He's got a jab and a little right hand. There's no way. I'd double-leg his a** right through that cage so fast, and that would be the end of the fight. I'm tired. I'm tired of this. Brock Lesnar wants to fight somebody, somebody with credentials, and Tim Sylvia ain't the guy."

"I'm a fighter, and I believe that if somebody should be holding a belt in the UFC, it's Brock Lesnar."

The UFC has negotiated with Kurt Angle to fight in the Octagon; it would only make sense for them to jump on the opportunity to sign Lesnar.

Lesnar's full of shit.

The Brock Lesnar who beat Kim at K1 Dynamite USA would get dismantled by a Randy Couture or Tim Sylvia.

I think it would be worth it just to see him get destroyed by someone on Pay Per View. Give the fucker some humility.

I really don't know if he'd be dismantled. His wrestling is at an awesome level and his strength would allow him to dictate the tempo and such of the fight. Not saying he'd win, and I don't ever want him in the UFC unless he remains committed to MMA, but he is a capable fighter.

Dana and Randy on Brock. Unfortunately not a direct response to Brock's promo earlier this week.

credit: thefightnetwork.com

2000 NCAA heavyweight champion and former WWE pro wrestler Brock Lesnar is on the UFC’s radar, Dana White confirmed today. Lesnar made his successful MMA debut at June 2’s “Dynamite!! USA” in Los Angeles, Calif., submitting South Korean Min Soo Kim with strikes in under two minutes. Lesnar is expected to attend Saturday night’s UFC 74 event.

“I’m very interested in Brock Lesnar,” said White. “I tried to talk to those guys a couple of years ago and they were on another planet at that time. After fighting in the sh--y show he fought in last time, maybe they’re back down here on Earth and we can talk Saturday night.”

UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture voiced his approval of a potential match-up as well.

“I’d love the opportunity to fight Brock,” said the 44-year-old legend. “He’s a big strong guy, has a wrestling background. I’m familiar with his collegiate career. I don’t really follow pro wrestling, so I don’t know what he’s really done in there, not that I think it really matters. It would be an interesting fight.”

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Lesnar's a fighter, like I'm a rocket scientist. Ya know, I am in the army and have been through a combatives course. Maybe I'm a fighter too? Whatever. I almost hope the UFC does give Lesnar a fight with Couture. I'd love Randy to bash his head in within the first minute.

Lesnar's a good hype man due to his time in the WWE, but like said, he's fought a lot of "cans". Suddenly, he feels he's ready to face the elite of what he called the top promotion. To use wrestling logic... that's like getting a few wins over the Shark Boy's and Norman Smiley's of the world, then declaring, "Give me the Undertaker... I'm ready to end that undefeated WrestleMania streak!"

Lesnar's big, and he does have some skills, but the truth is he's unproven. Even if it were a lock that he had the skills to end Couture, the UFC isn't stupid enough to make that Lesnar's first match. You have to face a few contenders to get the spot. If not, why even have rankings?

Edited by armyman2004

- Former WWE star Brock Lesnar either already has, or is close to, reaching a deal with UFC. He will attend the UFC show on Saturday night and it is believed that he and Dana White are both in on an angle to portray Brock has an "outsider" to capitalize on the resentment many MMA fans have towards pro-wrestlers. [WrestlingObserver.com]

Judging by how Brock's talking, I'd say it's pretty likely to be how they're doing it... in which case, I can't stop laughing at the idea that they're going to work the fans who like MMA not being a work.

And it's working, judging by some of these responses <_>

Oh man, if they give Lesnar a pro wrestling gimmick...that would totally rule. Have him come out with WWE shirts on, pyro, and wearing his little spandex talking shit the whole way...people would pay top dollar to see him get his head kicked in.

Guest The Moxicity

Lesnar in UFC would be intresting.....however

the UFC does have a Weight Limit on its heavyweight Divison I believe....so I think Brock would have to cut some weight