MMA News and Discussion Thread

Dustin Hazelett replaces Mike Swick on the UFN Card vs. Jonathan Gulet.

Dean Lister vs. Evan Tanner Tentatively Planned for UFC 79

Good to see Tanner back and against Lister this probably is for the #3-#2 contenders spot for the title. A shallow division currently so the winner probably only needs to win one more fight afterwards.

I'm a huge Tanner mark. Lister's stand up is horrible. Lister is a beast on the ground, but getting there isn't going to be easy at all and the last thing he wants is to get stuffed and clinched. Tanner is going to eat him alive with elbows and knees if he gets stuck in the clinch. AND Tanner's ground n' pound is tremendous. Lister is at home on his back, but Tanner is great on top. Tanner's a pretty talented grappler as well, so it's definitely not going to be a case were as soon as it goes to the ground, Lister will be on his way to victory. Submissions are what Tanner does best.

No Mike Swick sucks. Hazelett is a nice replacement, though. Plus I like Goulet's chances more against Dustin anyways and I always root him. So yeah. Boo that Swicky is out, yay for that Goulet has better chance at being above .500 in the UFC, which would mean more Goulet in the future. Which would be good because Goulet is one of the most exciting fighters out there.

Damn, Swick vs. Goulet would have been a fun fight.

Good to see Tanner coming back to UFC. It sucks that Swick is off the show. And now Goulet will get bumped down to the undercard fights while Sell vs. Quarry gets moved up to the main card. I like this as I am quite interested to see how Quarry does after a while away from the cage.

Q: So it’s possible we could finally see Liddell vs. Silva on Dec. 29?

DW: It’s possible. Liddell would have to win. Liddell would have to come out injury free. There’s a lot of ifs.

Q: But if he’s able to beat Jardine and get through the match healthy, is that the match we’re going to see on Dec. 29?

DW: I’d like to see it, wouldn’t you?

Edited by ACCBiggz

So anyone watch WEC 30 last night? Pretty good show. Not a bad fight on it. Brian Stann, for only having like five fights, continues to impress me. I think he is getting closer to a title shot in the Light Heavyweight division and he and Doug Marshall would match up well against each other and it is clear that Stann will be used as a star of the promotion with the latest news of him being given the Silver Star.

After 3 events, I am currently in 13th place (out of 2275). That's great. :D

One thing that I found odd was that they said they would next be live on Versus in December for Faber's title defense but Stann mentioned that Doug Marshall has a title defense in October and I checked on various websites and it lists WEC 31 in October and WEC 32 in November (according to Cub Swanson, this is when they will do the fight with him and Jens Pulver). So does this mean that those two will not be shown live at all or something? Or maybe they have decided to have the Light Heavyweight title defended in December instead and also put Swanson vs. Pulver in December as well.

Picking Yahya and Crunkliton killed me. It's not even like I was trying to be some kind of MMA elitist, picking them to look smart and informed or something, I genuinely thought they'd win both their fights. I really thought picking Rich with the underdog bonus was a steal. I knew when I checked the Sherdog predictions and mine were nearly exactly alike that I was in trouble. Overall I went a abysmal 6-4. Could have been worse, but definitely not impressive. That's my worst set of predictions ever.

Good event, though. I'm really liking WEC. It's like a breath of fresh air from the non-stop UFC cards. I'm starting to like Frank Mir on commentary too for some reason. He has a tendency to flub on commentary, but he is well informed, is on top of all the action, and you truly believe he knows he is talking about all the time (EDIT: I mean, he is a professional fighter, duh!). He isn't awkward or wooden or anything either. And with me growing increasingly tired of Joe Rogan's whining voice each UFC and him becoming more and more of an abrasive know-it-all, rather than the intelligent, over-enthusiastic fan he used to be, I'm starting to like Frank more than Joe.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I like Frank Mir too, but the only thing that bothers me is his tendency to get the names of the fighters mixed up often. But that's minor. I don't like his partner, though. But he seems to be improving with each show so I'll give him that. He is sort of like how Mike Goldberg use to be a few years ago when I couldn't stand him but gradually became a good announcer.

One thing I wanted to mention was Herb Dean doing nothing about that head butt by Baker on Forbes.

Edited by Fitzy

It's funny, the announcers where like "what the fuck? headbutt!", but there wasn't any mention of it after that. At all. Unless, I missed it.

Baker was able to pass Forbes' guard right into full mount with ease immediately after the headbutt too. Headbutt right into prime position, Forbes never recovered.

EBG and I talked about the headbutt. There were no one talking about it on Sherdog, there was no mention of it on Sherdog's PBP, and WEC totally never mentioned it again. Strange. Very Strange. But that was the WTF moment of the night.

Also in the news...

UFC's Martin claims he was falsely arrested

September 6, 2007

BY ROMAN MODROWSKI rmodrowski@suntimes.com

Ultimate Fighting Championship rising star Terry Martin was falsely arrested as he was on his way into a police station to report police harassment, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday.

Martin, 26, is suing Mayor Daley and Chicago Police officials and officers for misconduct, alleging that corruption within the Chicago Police Department led to Martin being arrested and prosecuted.

Martin was stopped by police Oct. 22, 2005, for alleged minor traffic offenses while driving with his girlfriend, a 911 operator. He claims the officers used racial slurs during the encounter and other disrespectful comments. The next evening, according to the suit, Martin went to the police station to report the incident and was spotted by the same two officers.

''The police said Terry drove past the station, and when the officers turned on their sirens, he did a U-turn and fled,'' Martin's attorney, Blake Horowitz, said. ''They said he got up to a half-mile away before they brought him back and arrested him for fleeing and eluding.

''During the trial, another officer said he saw Terry pull up to the station calmly and they arrested him. He would have been able to see if there was a chase.''

Martin's a Chicago native who worked his way up from gangbanger in the North Lawndale area to a college graduate with a master's in psychology. He's 2-2 in the UFC, having won his last two matches. Martin is scheduled to fight Chris Leben on Sept. 19 in Las Vegas.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Good show tonight with Houston Alexander proving his knockout over Jardine was not a fluke. Alexander is going to be huge.

Marcus Davis getting rocked and coming back to get the win was awesome. Davis continues to improve. It's going to be a while before he gets a title shot or anything in the crowded welterweight division, but he is getting awesome.

Cro Cop losing is not good for his star power, that's for sure. Two loses in a row is not going to help him, but whatever. Kongo just dominated him tonight.

Hamill was robbed. Bisping only won that final round. Hamil controlled him in the first two rounds. How did those judges give two rounds to Bisping? Then again, it was Cecil Peoples as one of the judges and he has been known to make some really weird calls. It just did not happen, though.

And good fight at the end with it going the full five rounds. Good back and forth action throughout it. Rampage did indeed get the best of Henderson to earn the claim as the first unified UFC/PRIDE champion.

Henderson and Bisping both need to move to the Middleweight division though. They would be so much better there. I am sure Henderson is going there as he will have to unify his belt. And I wonder if Goldberg mentioning Fedor's name and Rogan mentioning Brock Lesnar's name means they've been signed.

Edited by Fitzy

Good show. I agree with Fitzy.

Bisping can suck me off he lost all three rounds in my book. In that third round after that takedown Hammill landed some nice ground and pound and took it, but regardless those first two rounds were CLEARLY for Hammill.

I had Rampage/Henderson 49-46, but there were 2 close rounds in there as well.

Just a bit of random speculation, a site called K-1 fans said that at UFC 75 weigh-ins he learned the UFC signed Mark Hunt, and he can make 265 easy, but they just don't know what to do with him yet. I'll believe it when I see it.

I personally think they made the right call with the Hamill/Bisping fight. It was incredibly close, and I know people can see the same thing and have a different view of it, though. I think there needs to be a rematch and a definitive winner.

I was rooting for Rampage, so that was an awesome fight to watch. Henderson looked good too, despite losing.

Worst fucking decision I've ever seen. Just embarrassing, they should be ashamed. Although it did get me some much-needed points over at MMAplayground...

>_>

Regardless, I'm interested to see what Dana has to say about all this, he's usually pretty frank and truthful, although I'm expecting him to just stand by the decision. And since when is Henderson's nickname "Dangerous"? But whatever, that was a good fight. I scored it 49-48 Jackson. I gave 1st and 3rd to Hendo (3rd was definitely close), 2nd and 4th to Jackson, I thought Henderson had the fight won until the very end when he got the crap pounded out of him, but either way, I'm pleased, it was a good fight, now Hendo can move down to MW and dominate. Hopefully. And the Davis/Taylor fight was way fun, great fight, and a great transition by Marcus Davis into that armbar, he was very impressive. And I'm still unsure of Alexander though, he definitely is aggressive and has tons of power, but I want to see him fight for more than a minute. Overall a good show. Except for that Hamill/Bisping garbage.

Worst fucking decision I've ever seen. Just embarrassing, they should be ashamed. Although it did get me some much-needed points over at MMAplayground...

>_>

Regardless, I'm interested to see what Dana has to say about all this, he's usually pretty frank and truthful, although I'm expecting him to just stand by the decision. And since when is Henderson's nickname "Dangerous"? But whatever, that was a good fight. I scored it 49-48 Jackson. I gave 1st and 3rd to Hendo (3rd was definitely close), 2nd and 4th to Jackson, I thought Henderson had the fight won until the very end when he got the crap pounded out of him, but either way, I'm pleased, it was a good fight, now Hendo can move down to MW and dominate. Hopefully. And the Davis/Taylor fight was way fun, great fight, and a great transition by Marcus Davis into that armbar, he was very impressive. And I'm still unsure of Alexander though, he definitely is aggressive and has tons of power, but I want to see him fight for more than a minute. Overall a good show. Except for that Hamill/Bisping garbage.

I just watched the Hammil/Bisping fight on my DVR, and it was a good, entertaining fight. Unfortunately, the wrong man one, it was truly a bullshit decision. Hammill took the first two rounds easy, and wasn't exactly dominated in the third either. It's a shame when judges make inane decisions like this.

>_>

It's got to be obvious - unless one side decides they don't want to fight again, we will see another fight between Micheal Bisping and Matt Hamill.