MMA News and Discussion Thread

The Lightweight Division is far from hot right now. There's a load of guys who will be players in the future, but as of right now, it's the Sean Sherk show. The only person I can see taking the belt from Sherk is Penn, and if that happens, then it's the BJ Penn show. There's really not much competition at the top of the Lightweight Division. Kenny Florian could be a major player soon, but I saw a few holes in his game last event that he needs to patch up before he can beat Sherk.

Gomi would be a welcome addition to the Lightweight Division. He may or may not be capable of defeating Sherk, but the two of them would put on a hell of a show given the chance to do so.

BJ Penn

Matt Serra

Sean Sherk

Everyone Else (Currently)

---------------------------------------------

I put Serra in there as when he loses the belt he'll be going back down. With that said the "Everyone Else" put on some great fights. Now, Sherk and Penn could lose to any of these guys but like Gabe said I think it's for the future. Including the upcoming contenders bout between Din Thomas and Spencer Fisher.

Last seasons TUF Class will be a lot of fun to watch develop in the Lightweight Division, but just like Biggz illustrated, the gap between the top fighters and the rest of the guys is probably the largest in any division in the UFC. If Penn and Serra don't become regulars in the 155 division, then you've got Sean Sherk on top in a division where 90% of the fights are great fights, and then a challenger moves up to face Sherk and gets dominated, much like Franca did.

Hermes is a perfect example. His fights are, for the most part, entertaining, and he's a lot of fun to watch in a division where he has some great opponents. The problem lies in the fact that he earned his title shot, got into the Octagon with the champ, and was embarrassed. The same thing will happen to anyone else not named Penn or Serra who tries to take on Sherk at this point in time.

Could we see an upset? That's never out of the realm of possibility, but Sherk would get his rematch and win the belt back. He's tailor-made to be a dominating force at 155, and until the rest of the pack starts to catch up to him, he'll be relatively un-rivalled as the Champion.

Sherk would just put Gomi on his back and keep him there for 5 rounds, if he can avoid getting stung by Gomi. Which is easier said than done. Gomi has a disgusting ability to turn guys off like a light out of nowhere.

As for lightweight contenders, they better hurry and try to get Gilbert Melendez in there. He's going to be a terror if he comes to the UFC.

Thiago Tavares is a guy that really impressed me. Jason Black is like a human wet blanket, he latches on to guys and cruises to victory (not in a bad way, I didn't mean to make it sound like he's a lay n' prayer), but Tavares had his number big time and beat on him for 2 rounds instead. If the Black fight is any example, Tavares is a different kind of animal on the ground. Keep an eye on him.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Stolen from Sherdog

The light heavyweight title unification bout between UFC 205-pound ace Quinton Jackson (Pictures) and PRIDE champion Dan Henderson (Pictures) will be broadcast via same-day tape delay on Spike TV, the television network announced through a press release Monday afternoon.

"We are pleased that Spike TV will bring UFC 75 live from London to millions of UFC fans in the U.S. and Canada," said UFC president Dana White. "UFC 75 will be the UFC and PRIDE's first ever unification match -- this fight between 'Rampage' Jackson and Dan Henderson (Pictures) will decide who is the best 205-pound fighter in the two organizations."

Also set for the card, Mirko Filipovic (Pictures) (22-5-2) returns from his devastating loss to Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures) back in April to confront French striker Cheick Kongo (Pictures) (10-3-1) and undefeated Ultimate Fighter veterans Michael Bisping (Pictures) (13-0-0) and Matt Hamill (Pictures) (3-0-0) take to the cage.

Shibata caught Ralek with a nice shot that almost put him on the ground, but he recovered and Shibata never had any advantage after that. They were clinched on the ropes for a bit, and I can't remember if Ralek had double underhooks or over/underhooks, but he got the takedown and landed in full mount. Ralek pounded on him a bit and didn't have much trouble applying a nice, textbook armbar. EDIT: I said Shibata went for the takedown by accident, I meant to say Ralek went for the take down. Brainfart.

As for the favorite, I'd say it's between Ribiero and JZ... if he can make it to the next event.

And Gomi had nothing to do with last night's big news. Instead it was announced that Masakatsu Funaki would be coming out of retirement to fight in Hero's. I didn't see it myself, but according to Sherdog, the camera was heavily focused on Sakuraba during the whole thing (Saku was doing commentary). As a fan in North America, Gomi in Hero's would been bigger news than hinting a possible Funaki/Sakuraba fight, but there is no doubt it would be a monumental fight in Japan and there is no way any native fan can possibly fathom a bout between the two legends.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Jardine/Liddell almost a done deal

From MMA News.com

The following is an excerpt from an article on TheFightNetwork.com site:

Keith Jardine confirmed Monday he has verbally agreed to fight Chuck Liddell at UFC 76 Sept. 22 in Anaheim, Calif. Jardine (12-3-1) is on the mend following a surprising first-round TKO loss to newcomer Houston Alexander at UFC 71 in May.

“This fight has been talked about for a long time,” Jardine said. “The UFC is impressed with the way I’ve been fighting.”

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

He had some sort of excuse for it, but I agree with what he said. Why fight it, regardless of guilty/innocence. It'd be cheaper and better off to pay the small fine and wait.

“This fight has been talked about for a long time,” Jardine said. “The UFC is impressed with the way I’ve been fighting.”

From the Brazilian based MMA site, Tatame.com

Master Rudimar Fedrigo confirmed us that Mauricio Shogun will face Forrest Griffin at UFC 76, that is schedule for September 22, at . “We went specially to Las Vegas to sign the contract for four fights and to record the videos for before the fight”, said Rudimar, that arrive at Curitiba today. Rudimar had confirmed too that Mauricio Shogun’s brother, Murilo Ninja, will make his first EliteXC belt defense against Robbie Lawler, one week before UFC 76."
Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Credit to MMANews.com

Both Franca AND Sherk test positive

It has been confirmed that Lightweight champion Sean Sherk has also failed his post-UFC 73 drug test as well. His opponent Hermes Franca released a statement claiming he would be coming up positive when the next set of test results were made public by the California State Athletic Commission.

Sherk tested positive for Nandrolone Metabolite and has been fined $2,500. He will be suspended until June 26, 2008 (nearly a year). Normal levels of Nandrolone range from 2 ng/mL to 6 ng/mL - where as Sherk was found with 12 ng/mL.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

What does this mean for the Lightweight Division now? Will BJ Penn stay at 155 if there's no Sean Sherk? What happens to the Title with the Champion suspended for a year? Will the rest of 07 be the Kenny Florian show?

With Sherk and Franca testing positive, and Penn unlikely to stay in the division without Sherk, the divide between the top guy and the rest of the group has been lessened. It is now:

Kenny Florian

Everyone Else

...and at this point in his career, it isn't unlikely for Florian to lose to someone who may not be as good of a fighter as he is. He's great, but he gets himself into some tough spots. I figure, you've gotta give the edge to Florian and Diaz when it comes to looking at guys who should be thought of for the Title if they vacate it.

Credit to MMANews.com

Both Franca AND Sherk test positive

It has been confirmed that Lightweight champion Sean Sherk has also failed his post-UFC 73 drug test as well. His opponent Hermes Franca released a statement claiming he would be coming up positive when the next set of test results were made public by the California State Athletic Commission.

Sherk tested positive for Nandrolone Metabolite and has been fined $2,500. He will be suspended until June 26, 2008 (nearly a year). Normal levels of Nandrolone range from 2 ng/mL to 6 ng/mL - where as Sherk was found with 12 ng/mL.