MMA News and Discussion Thread

The Ken Shamrock that was dominated by Tito Ortiz is a far greater fighter than the Ken Shamrock that beat Pat Smith, Dan Severn, and Kimo back in the day. Ken worked very hard to reinvent himself during his return to the UFC. He changed training partners, he changed training methods, trained in different areas he hadn't trained before, basically tried to catch up with the sport. Problem was the sport had evolved without Ken, and Shammy was very much a molded fighter already. Plus, he was older, war torn, and his physical capabilities weren't what they used to be. The transition has been very rocky and largely unsuccessful.

As for skills, you can't fight and train as long and hard as Ken has not be a skilled fighter. His grappling isn't nearly as slick it was compared to the early 90's (obviously shoot wrestling has been long eclipsed by the pure domination of BJJ). He's got intensity, good technique, hits very hard, intelligence, and a lot of heart. But you don't get see any of it for very long, because he has been constantly been physically dominated for years.

Ken Shamrock shouldn't be taken lightly, especially by Michael Bisping, who still has a lot to prove. Like I said, Shammy trains very hard. That being said, Ken hasn't shown that he has much left offer in MMA. He's old, broken down, and isn't much of a complete fighter by today's standards. Bisping still needs a bit of credibility, but would clearly be the better athlete, is much younger, quicker, and in tremendous physical shape. He has shown a lot of potential to become a great fighter.

Could Ken beat him? Of course, he could catch him with a lucky shot or possibly even a submission. Though fighters these days are so aware and conscious of their position, for Bisping to be caught in a leg lock or heel hook would be a miracle for Shamrock. Ken himself said besides leg submissions, subs aren't his strong point. I'd put money on Bisping overwhelming and out lasting him, leading to Bisping finishing by whatever he is in position to finish with. IMO, Bisping just needs to stay active, keep the dominating position, but don't get sloppy.

Besides, isn't Ken set to be a coach of... what's it called? Oh yeah, the IFL?!?

The following is a blog post from CBS Sportsline writer Sam Caplan from his Fiveouncesofpain.com site:

There are several Japanese-to-English translations making the rounds on the Internet claiming that a report by Nikkan Sports states that Pride will run an event on August 18 at the Saitama Arena.

We'll see.

-MMANews.com

Guest Takayamanofear

I don't think Ninja is fighting if I remember right, he has been replaced.

Please let the PRIDE rumor be true, the over done of the UFC style is leaving a dull taste in my mouth.

Both Baroni and Ninja were in question this week, but both are now cleared to fight.

Originally Ninja failed his medical, so they brought in Niko Vitale to replace him, but eventually he was cleared. Niko was still set to fight Joey and Ninja was without an opponent, however all is settled and Ninja vs. Villasenor is going to happen. Should be a really good fight.

I don't know his ties to EliteXC right now, but Villasenor should be in the UFC soon and a win over Ninja would definitely add to his credit. Ninja could use a big win right now, string together a nice three fight win streak. He was struggling to find wins and consistency in Pride, but he's only lost to really strong opponents. Rampage (bad decision, should have been Ninja's win), Kharitonov, Filho, Kang... He's had some tough losses. I'm kind of rooting for him.

As for Penn/Pulver...

It's easy to say BJ is going to come out strong like he always does and dominate. He works hard early, he's slick, intelligent, offensive and defensively he can outclass anybody, pound for pound. He's BJ freakin' Penn! Well rounded, crazy grappler, he's trained with some of the best (workhorses like Lindland and Couture). I really can't say enough about the guy.

Jens is a lot better than a quick KO will let you believe. He trains with the beasts in Iowa, so you know he's got the endurance, his stand up is technically amazing, and he can handle himself on the ground. Plus he's got the mental advantage that he's already gone 5 rounds with BJ and beat him.

IMO, the x factor, as is with most BJ Penn fights, is how long Penn can bring it. It's no secret BJ has been known to fade halfway through fights, loses his momentum and advantage. His opponents get back into fights and steal victories that BJ looked like he was heading toward. This isn't something new either, it happened against Jens the first time, he got burned by a draw against Uno, and right up to GSP and Hughes.

Jens best bet is to play it safe early, try keep it standing, pick his spots, don't get sloppy, let BJ work to get to him. BJ is an ace, so easier said than done, but IMO, that's the early strategy he should follow. If BJ starts to wilt, that's when he should start putting on the pressure.

I like BJ's chances in this fight. Naturally, he was too small for 170. The added weight didn't suit him, he looked soft (even for BJ) and his cardio suffered. I think he'll be going on all cylinders against Jens, with a much improved gas tank and added motivation to beat Pulver.

I'll say BJ by judges decision.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I was reading that apparently Jens Pulver is thinking of moving to 145 for WEC. And on MMAweekly they said there are also rumors of a 145 weight class in UFC. I think that shouldn't happen as that seems to be the main selling point of WEC. The two smaller weight classes of 145 and 135 seem to be what they want to push, especially 145 and Faber. If UFC brings in a 145, wouldn't they just take the fighters from WEC and bring them over to UFC and pretty much making WEC nothing special?

The 145 is what makes WEC special. Besides that, it is a farm system for the UFC. Urijah Faber suddenly got over like rover thanks to the last WEC show and it would suck for them if UFC took something that could draw fans to watch WEC and watch fighters that aren't classed as lower level fighters by way of where they fight.

Obviously its UFC's goal to be considered the best MMA organization on the planet, and for that, it's a good idea. But at the same time, the 145 in WEC is starting get hype, with Faber getting props and Pulver considering moving down, it could be a really selling point for them.

I think it was bound to happen and it's really good for the UFC. Another division would add more important fights to cards, more title and contender fights, like I said, being able to say they have the best fighters in the world at all weight classes. Obviously bad for WEC, as it robs them of something unique that their parent organization doesn't have.

But that's WEC serving its purpose, they bought it to test and survey fighters, now they're doing it with weight divisions too.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I don't know if this is really news or not, but apparently Frank Shamrock was supposed to be on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight, but Kimmel had to get an emergency appendectomy this morning and all future tapings will be cancelled until he is back on his feet. So I guess that means Shamrock's not on TV tonight? Unless they tape episodes earlier idk.

And don't tell me Franklin was supposed to wipe the floor with Shamrock, it was just like it is with Bisping now, people thought Franklin could certainly hold his own, but figured Shamrock would surely win it. I bet even you predicted it that way.

Sokoudjou signed with EXC today. Stupid move, at least a sad one.

Fedor apprently has verbally agreed with the UFC/PRIDE/Zuffa.

Joe Doerksen confirmed to Sherdog.com that he will fight former PRIDE standout Paulo Filho for the vacant World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight title in Las Vegas on Aug. 5

Bye-Bye WEC's 185 Division.

--------------------------------------------------------------

EXC Predictions:

Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni

Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs. Joey Villasenor

Paul Buentello vs. Carter Williams

Josh Thomson vs. Nick Gonzalez

Cung Le vs. Tony Fryklund

Paul Daley vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig

Edited by ACCBiggz

Depending on Hammill's striking... I could very easily see this a Unanimous Decision for Matt. Lay n' Prey all the way, Bisping showed little defense against his takedowns. Now the flip side of that is we didn't get to see Bisping throw knees and other strikes to stop it.

Awesome. I need my Shogun fix.

The one thing I'm going to miss is the soccer kicks and flying stomps to the head. It made Shogun look like such a killer, he never stomped kicking ass. You'd be on the ground and in a blink of an eye he'd going for a flying stomp over your guard.

On the other hand, if Shogun can hit those elbows to the head like he can to the body... Oh man!

Anyone watch the EliteXC/Strikeforce pay-per-view? I thought it was a very good show.

I will put this in spoiler since this isn't an official thread for the PPV.

Rua vs. Villasenor was an excellent fight in the first round. Rua won the EliteXC Middleweight title in the second round after some wild punches from them. Easily the fight of the night at this point.

Cung Le is over big time here. It was crazy loud for him. Frycklund was taking some strong kicks from Le and he just dominated him with his great kicking throughout the first and second rounds. The fight got stopped in the third round after a body shot and a few punches. I never seen Le before, but he has great kicks.

And the Strikeforce Middleweight title fight was all Shamrock. I loved when Shamrock had Baroni rocked and he taunts him by putting his hands under his head like he is going to sleep. Shamrock is such an asshole and I love it. Though instead of knee strikes, this time he through illegal punches to the back of Baroni's head and got a point taken away, but he still won the first round. Baroni seemed to get something back during the second round as he came out swinging and stunned Shamrock a couple of times but he got caught in a rear naked choke and he wouldn't tap and passed out. But still a very good fight.

The crowd was so into this fight. Probably one of, if not the loudest crowd I've heard for a fight.

And apparently, Shamrock blew out his knee before the fight with Sokoudjou and he was helped out of the cage. And Baroni said he felt something tear in his groin a few seconds into the fight.

If you are not sure about getting it, don't think and do as you'll enjoy it as it was just an overall great card.

Edited by Fitzy