MMA News and Discussion Thread

You should download the Beatdown after the Bell of K-1... the funniest and best beatdown ever. The Gracie/Saku fight wasn't THAT bad, it was really more the 3, 5 minute rounds that sucked the life out. Those two really do need no time limits so they can work, by the time they just attempt to start something the round is over.

Tim Sylvia is still expected to fight at UFC 74 in August, but according to recent reports, it won’t be against his fellow former champion Frank Mir.

The two former UFC heavyweight title-holders were expected to battle on UFC 74’s main card on Aug. 25. However, according to the Wrestling Observer, the Nevada State Athletic Commission stepped in and said Mir wasn’t ready to face someone of Sylvia’s caliber. Keith Kizer, the NSAC executive director, made the decision after he factored in Mir’s poor showing against Brandon Vera at UFC 65.

Mir hasn’t fought since that 69-second TKO loss seven months ago. He was slated to face Antoni Hardonk at UFC Fight Night 9 in April but eventually pulled out of the bout with a shoulder injury.

Considering the extent of some past UFC mismatches, the NSAC’s decision to step in with this particular case does seem odd. Assuming Mir, a Las Vegas native, is declared physically fit to compete, should the NSAC then be allowed to step and decide which opponents are suitable?

The bigger question, though, is what’s next for Sylvia. The former champ, who was defeated by Randy Couture at UFC 68 in March, has been vocal about his perceived mistreatment by the UFC. Saying he’s been “kicked around” by the UFC since joining the organization in 2002, Sylvia has been pushed aside as the UFC’s heavyweight division experiences an influx of talent. UFC president Dana White has made no comments about when — if ever — Sylvia may get a chance to reclaim his belt.

Regardless, a win at UFC 74 would be a requirement. Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait to find out a possible opponent.

Edited by ACCBiggz

The first round wasn't bad, but after that, Sakuraba looked like he was out of the fight and any real excitement left with him. Saku isn't the same fighter. As much as I hate to say it, he doesn't have the magic he did when he fought Royce the first time. He hasn't had it for years. What made the first fight between the two fun was the fact the Sakuraba was an unstoppable ball of energy, he saw all of Royce's tricks coming a mile away and exploited his weaknesses. The Saku today is an older, beat up shell of what he used to be. There is not much magical about him any more.

And hiring a dude to encourage the crowd to boo is by far the stupidest thing that you could possibly ever do in any form of sporting or entertainment.

WEC was really fun to watch on TSN. Alex Karalexis looked pretty good in his fight and that Brian Stann looked like a good newcomer - he steamrolled in the two fights I saw with him in them. On their site, it lists Joe Riggs as one of their fighters, too.

Their featherweight champion, Urijah Farber, is a fucking wrecking ball.

Edited by desiredtoe

The thing with Faber is that he is already a big fish in a small pond. He looks like he was tailor made for featherweight, at 5'6 he looks pretty big for a guy that only weighs 140. But to fit in at lightweight the UFC, he'll need to gain at least 10 pounds. 10 pounds doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're only 5'6 and you are used to fighting at 140, going up to 155 is a big deal. Not saying he can't gain the weight and make it work, but there is no denying he is such a natural at featherweight. And I'm sure the UFC have a close eye on him too.

Faber survived some bad positions last night, I like him and love to watch him fight but he is overrated. If he did decide to go to lightweight I'd venture to guess he'd lose quite a few UFC matches. He's tailor made for 145 as EBG said, which is why I'd love to see some way for KID to fight him. But in the UFC at 155, I'd put him on the lower end of the top 10 behind many.

The K1 Dynamite USA show was actually pretty good. I enjoyed every fight for what it was.

The thing that irked me most about Sakuraba/Gracie, was that they were allowed to stand on the ropes and do nothing for such a long period of time. The referee should have moved them out of there, and he didn't, and I think that is what ultimately killed the fight for a lot of fans. If you listen, you can hear that almost the entire stadium is excited while those two were grappling and going for submissions...but the moment the fight hits the ropes, everyone starts booing.

My conclusion: Sakuraba and Gracie fought a good, if not underwhelming fight, and the referee's lack of officiating blew it for both men in the long run.

Lesnar showed no respect during his interview... "it's too bad I couldn't fight the big headed guy..." ... what a fucking cunt. That, and when Kim went to touch gloves to start the first round, Lesnar ignored him and tried to fight right away. Classless.

You can tell he's off the juice now though... he's in amazing shape, and he still has man titties. Too much estrogen in those old roids of yours, Brock?

Kizer responds...

That fight has not been presented to me, and thus no ‘denial’ has been made. I was asked about the match-up by a reporter and said I would have a hard time approving that fight unless I see a quality win from Mr. Mir first. However, I will keep an open mind.

Please note that I approved Mir vs. [Antoni]Hardonk a short while back. I still think that would be a good match-up.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Kizer responds...

That fight has not been presented to me, and thus no ‘denial’ has been made. I was asked about the match-up by a reporter and said I would have a hard time approving that fight unless I see a quality win from Mr. Mir first. However, I will keep an open mind.

Please note that I approved Mir vs. [Antoni]Hardonk a short while back. I still think that would be a good match-up.

Also sccording to Monte Cox, Pulver will be going to 145 lbs in the WEC after the TUF Finale. Which, in my opinion is up in the air. If he were to win I would think he'd be an instant contender to Sean Sherk again, whereas if Penn wins then yes I could perhaps see it.

The following is an excerpt from an interview with Dana White from the Star Tribune:

Q Chuck Liddell is among the most recognizable UFC fighters. What impact does his recent loss to Quinton Jackson have on UFC?

A It happens in this sport. Guys lose. Chuck is one of those fighters that's going to bounce back. He's a tough guy. ... You never know who's going to win. Chuck getting knocked out was the equivalent of Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson.

Ouch.

To read the complete interview, click here

http://www.startribune.com/503/story/1230593.html

I saw this right before I posted that.

The following is form Roger Huerta's MySpace page:

Subject hey guys just want to let ya'll know

that im going to be fighting on june 23rd. i was just noticed last night. it will be live on spike tv so check it out. god bless.

The June 23rd date is the live Ultimate Fighter 5 finale, which is headlined by BJ Penn vs. Jens Pulver

It'll be good exposure for him if he wins, because he's jumping up the rankings fast. He's a hell of a fighter, definitely on his way to being the breakout fighter of the year and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets title shot early in 08.

It's a huge four weeks for the lightweight division, man. Four events in four weeks starting next Tuesday.

Fisher/Stout next week at UFN, Tyson Griffin (people were impressed by Faber, Griffin is the one loss on his record) is fighting on the 16th, TUF 5 finale has Penn/Pulver, the TUF finals, Garcia, AND Huerta, and July 7th it's Franca/Sherk for the belt, plus Florian, Frankie Edgar, and Jorge Gurgel are also on the card.

155 is back with a vengeance in 2007.

What makes it even sweeter is that Garcia, maybe even Huerta, I don't know about him, is that could be going up against a TUF 5 alum who may have been just one win short from the finals. So if Joe, Wiman, or Nate (IMO, the best 3 on the show) don't make it to the finals, there still could be a possibility of one of them going up against Garcia... Or who knows, maybe even Huerta! I'm sorry, I'm just excited. TUF finales are some of the most enjoyable shows all year anyways.

Fight Entertainment Group came to Los Angeles in hopes of fitting 100,000 people into the city's historic Memorial Coliseum.

According to the California State Athletic Commission, which on Thursday released a detailed report documenting the June 2 event's attendance, 42,757 people watched K 1 "Dynamite!! USA" inside the venerable building, more than doubling the attendance record for an MMA event in North America.

Delving deeper into the numbers reveals that 3,674 tickets were sold through the Coliseum box office or Ticketmaster, while 39,083 were handled by the promoter, FEG.

In all, the CSAC reported a paid gate of $2,545,590, of which just $203,090 came from brokers not affiliated with the promoter.

Entry into the Coliseum came through both turnstile and non-turnstile gates, and over 18,340 walked through the turnstiles. Of the 75,332 tickets printed, 13,600 were given away, according to the CSAC.

"Dynamite!! USA" replaces March 3, 2007's Ultimate Fighting Championship event at Columbus, Ohio's Nationwide Arena, which netted a crowd of 19,079, as North America's most heavily attended MMA event.

-Sherdog.com

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

The following is an excerpt from an article on MMAHQ.com:

Diego Sanchez vs. Hayato Sakurai at UFC 74?

KRQE News 13 in Albequerque, New Mexico is reporting that Albequerque native Diego Sanchez will be fighting Hayato “Mach” Sakurai at UFC 74 in August.

-MMANews.com

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I heart Amanda Beard.

She is an Olympic swimmer and is appearing on the cover of Playboy this month...

Anyway, she was on Mike & Mike in the Morning and out of nowhere she starts saying she loves MMA, she can't even name a boxer right now, been watching the UFC for about 5 years and bought all the DVD's from UFC 1-Now. HOT.

:wub: