MMA News and Discussion Thread

What a douchebag. Clearly this will be a pattern for Shamrock. Heaven forbid if we don't cheat. Also, I think someone mentioned that Baroni tore a groin muscle in the first round, I don't know how legit that is.
Edited by Fitzy

Take this for what its worth.. but watching PRIDE on FSN I figured same old show....

Shogun vs. Overeem from PRIDE 33. Before it starts they talk Chute Box and show Anderson Silva, talk about him being UFC champion and 5th Generation CB. Wandy being 7th Gen and Shogun being 10th gen. Saying each new generation is better and better... I thought it was odd to show a video of Anderson not fighting but thought nothing of it.

Then after the fight they talked about Light Heavyweight (not Middleweight) rankings and said anyone can beat anyone and UFC Champion Rampage Jackson... then I zoned out as I realized they are producing new shows on FSN apprently. I can only assume this is a good thing.

MMA Updates, courtesy of MMANews.com

The following is an excerpt from Dave Meltzer's news update from yesterday at WrestlingObserver.com regarding the rumors of PRIDE returning and holding a show in Japan in October

According to Dana White, the stories of a Pride show on 10/11 are as accurate as last week’s story about an August card. In other words, nothing to them at all no matter what is being said in Japan.

And PRIDE's future remains uncertain.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

All the test results for the Strikeforce/EliteXC co-promoted “Shamrock vs. Baroni” event on June 22 have come back and there has been another suspension handed down. Main event fighter Phil Baroni, according to the California State Athletic Commission, has tested positive for Boldenone Metabolite and Stanozolol Metabolite, two common anabolic steroids.

The CSAC stated to MMAWeekly.com that, “[baroni] has been fined $2,500. His suspension period runs from the conclusion of his bout on June 22, 2007 through the remainder of his licensing year, which is May 1, 2008. Furthermore, he has been assessed an additional 51 days in order to fulfill the terms of his suspension (365 total days). The additional days will be added at the beginning of his next licensing year when he reapplies.”

Baroni lost the bout with Frank Shamrock by TKO having passed out due to a rear naked choke at 4:00 of round 2.

Aside from Baroni and the previously reported Carter Williams, who tested positive for cocaine, all the other fighters on the "Shamrock vs. Baroni" event came back clean on their tests.

Credit: MMAWeekly

Edited by Fitzy

B.J. Penn (Pictures) and Diego Sanchez (Pictures) have agreed to fight on the undercard of the heavyweight title fight between UFC champion Randy Couture (Pictures) and challenger Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures), Aug. 25 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, a source speaking on the condition of anonymity told Sherdog.com.

The 28-year-old Penn (11-4-1) recently finished longtime rival Jens Pulver (Pictures) in a lightweight clash on the finale of The Ultimate Fighter 5. Meanwhile the 25-year-old Sanchez (17-1-0) has not fought since suffering the first defeat of his career, a decision loss to Josh Koscheck (Pictures) in April.

Credit: sherdog.com

So Diego wants another loss? Even though BJ is jumping up a weight class in about 2 months, I still think he'll beat Diego, especially if Diego fights like he did against Koscheck

Edited by Maxx

[

B.J. Penn's (Pictures) camp informed Sherdog.com that the 28-year-old Hawaiian would not face Diego Sanchez (Pictures) in August, though the possibility wasn't ruled out for a later date.

On Tuesday, Sherdog.com cited a source close to Penn and Sanchez who said a fight had been agreed upon for Aug. 25 in Las Vegas and would be featured on the undercard of the UFC heavyweight title fight between Randy Couture (Pictures) and Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures).

Penn's camp said the fight with Sanchez had not been offered by the UFC for August, and indicated many options are being discussed as far the fighter's future inside the octagon, which includes the possibility of him remaining at lightweight.

Penn (11-4-1) expects to release news of his future via his Web site, BJPenn.com, though no date was given as to when he would make a statement.

-Sherdog.com

I think he should stay at 155, take the title, go to 170 and have a title shot there (v. Hughes III, v. GSP II, v. Serra II). 155 is a division set for the future, with a now champion who SHOULD be able to keep his title for awhile unless BJ or a PRIDE lightweight comes. 170 is stacked with great fighters now and for the future.