MMA News and Discussion Thread

Ok, so John Hackleman says Silva vs. Liddell is going to happen in December. Which would be reassuring if we haven't heard it all before. But yeah, UFC 79 is starting to take more of a shape now.

Roan Carneiro vs. Tony DeSouza and Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard have been set for December. Of course Serra vs. Hughes is the main event, also rumored for the card are BJ Penn, Josh Koscheck, and now once again Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell. Depending on if and who BJ fights (he is training with DeSouza and Lauzon for some kind of upcoming fight) and Wandy/Chuck actually happens, this could be a blockbuster triple main event PPV. Now if only they could take one and put it on UFC 78...

Oh, and Michael Bisping continues to be my favorite fighter on the night saying Tito declined fighting at UFC 78 because he has no balls. Off topic, I really like Bisping, I think with a bit more UFC experience he'll really start to shine. He fought a poor fight against Hamill, like he didn't have any game plan except to try and outstrike Hamill and try to knock him out. It's not as if Hamil looked light years better, all he had going for him was more confidence and dominant position on the ground. And the fact that Bisping appeared to have no strategy going into the fight at all. I think that fight will serve as a wake up call and if Bisping fights a smarter fight he's going to make Maht Hahmull look silly next time around. I think he's a few fights away having any more than a dog's chance at beating Rashad Evans, though, but at least he manned up and took the fight. And in 2007, the dogs are proving they can fuck shit up when least expected. Ok, that was just my random two cents.

And some shit about Kurt Angle and the IFL. Who knew you could get this sick of Kurt Angle without following wrestling news anymore? Yeah, Kurt Angle is looking to debut in the IFL sometime between 2008 and 2015. He'll be the captain of the expansion Kalamazoo Horny Toads.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'd be sarcastic and say "good job, UFC", but from the sounds of it, Fedor's management weren't doing the deal any favors. It probably would've taken Fedor fighting in Russia, competing in Sambo, give immediate PPV fights for all Red Devil fighters on a string a events held in Russia, and moving the UFC offices to St. Petersburg, complete with a 20 foot golden statue of Fedor in front of the building.

This really sucks.

Randy Couture Quits UFC

The Fight Network has just reported that Randy Couture has quit the promotion, vacating his heavyweight title and leaving his job as a color commentator.

Couture, who works for The Fight Network itself, so there is no way they are going to miss on this story, wrote a letter from South Africa where he's filming the Scorpion King movie, to Dana White.

Not getting a match with Fedor Emelianenko played a part in his decision. The decision was made when it became clear the match with Fedor wasn't happening.

It is known Couture was one of the top UFC fighters who was unhappy when reading about the huge money guaranteed in the company's offers to Emelianenko, because he felt he and a few others were the fighters who helped build the current popularity and they weren't getting guaranteed income for fights anywhere near that level, particularly since they were bigger drawing cards.

With the decline of Chuck Liddell, Couture was likely the company's biggest short-term drawing card, and without question, was its most popular fighter.

We will have more on this story later.

I don't really watch MMA, but know a little bit about it to know this is big news - Wrestling Observer is reporting that Randy Couture has quit UFC.

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/h...t.asp?aID=20972

EDIT: Damn you KCC >_>

Edited by Scott McFly

Couture won't fight out of the UFC, I put 100% confidence in that. I think it's a pretty punk move on Randy, he still has Nog and others in the organization as it stands now. But the whole thing is Fedor's fault. UFc is protecting its investment, yet he has to pull some crazy Sambo card instead of just waiting. Oh well.

Winner of Sylvia/Vera to fight winner of Kongo/Nog. Calling it now.

Well that scenario makes the most sense. Hopefully Mirko can step it and stay with the UFC and Andrei resumes fighting sometime soon and stays put too. Besides that, you've Werdum who they can match up with somebody, which looked like Frank Mir for a bit, but apparently no longer.

Barnett is the only other big free agent heavyweight out there right now and both he and Dana have made it pretty clear that they aren't sending each other Christmas cards this year.

Couture won't fight out of the UFC, I put 100% confidence in that. I think it's a pretty punk move on Randy, he still has Nog and others in the organization as it stands now. But the whole thing is Fedor's fault. UFc is protecting its investment, yet he has to pull some crazy Sambo card instead of just waiting. Oh well.

Winner of Sylvia/Vera to fight winner of Kongo/Nog. Calling it now.

I read M-1 wants to run shows in the US. If I was them I'd do everything in my power to try and get Couture vs. Fedor in the States. They'd be putting on a huge dream match, one that UFC had no success at putting together, and they'd be doing it on UFC's home turf. Couture says that he has nothing to prove without a fight with Fedor. Well, give him a nice chunk of cash (assuming M-1's owners have and are willing to) and give him Fedor and make it happen.

EDIT: Basically exactly what JoeMimic said. Kinda. I didn't read his post until after I posted...

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

There is a limit to what you can pay ONE fighter and still keep your cards economically viable. With all the demands Fedor had, I don't think a deal with the UFC was possible. Losing Randy hurts a lot, but I think the UFC had to go in this route.

They still have a very strong Light Heavyweight division and some big draws there, and big names in every division it seems.

EliteXC signed Kimbo Slice today. MMAWeekly says that apparently Tank Abbott also signed and they will do that fight on November 10. Already signed for November 10 is the 160 pound title fight between Nick Diaz and KJ Noons. Diaz just signed a two year contract extension with them.