MMA News and Discussion Thread

MMAjunkie.com says Strikeforce will soon be airing on NBC. No live shows are expected any time soon, but late Saturday shows (doesn't say if it will be before or after SNL) could begin airing as soon as mid-April. It will just be a highlight show at this point, so I assume like UFC Unleashed.

Sources close to the deal tell MMAjunkie.com that talks between the UFC and NBC never really got off the ground. According to those sources, the UFC wasn't interested in a late-night timeslot, and additionally, NBC executives "weren't too keen" on working with UFC president Dana White.
Edited by Fizzy Say CHOWDAH!

So I'm guessing Tito fights Machida and signs with Strikeforce. He's already a star on NBC. Hooray for Team Punishment Athletics exposure overdrive! EDIT: Actually, when is Elite XC going to air? Is it's time slot better? Tito needs the exposure!

UFC was in discussions with NBC too, but apparently the UFC crew didn't like the time slot they were going to be given and also NBC said they didn't want to deal with Dana.

The following is an excerpt from an interview with Dana White from NBCSports.com:

Andrei Arlovski is a guy that I have a ton of respect for. He's been with us his entire career. One of the things I say about this too, we've been building this buisness and this thing grows so fast...the UFC is a speeding train and we're not driving it. We're on the tracks trying to get the (explitive) out of the way. That's how fast this thing is growing. And through this I've made some mistakes, you know. I've made a lot of mistakes and I'm gonna make a lot more, but one of them is, Andrei feels that I haven't treated him right.

You know, he hasn't felt the love. Which sucks because that's my job and I didn't do it right, and I'm trying to fix it. I'm trying to fix my problem with Andrei. We're not throwing Andrei on the undercard because we think he could leave. If that was the case believe me, I'd have Tito fighting at (explitive) 1:00 in the afternoon...the prelims don't start until 5:15.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

So I'm guessing Tito fights Machida and signs with Strikeforce. He's already a star on NBC. Hooray for Team Punishment Athletics exposure overdrive! EDIT: Actually, when is Elite XC going to air? Is it's time slot better? Tito needs the exposure!

WEC: Paulo Filho out against Chael Sonnen on March 26 because of substance abuse problem

By: MMAmania

He did. He didn’t. He did.

WEC Middleweight Champion Paulo Filho has indeed officially opted to postpone his 185-pound title fight against Chael Sonnen scheduled for March 26 because of a substance abuse problem, according to WEC.tv.

No date for the rematch was disclosed.

Here’s a snip from his manager, Ed Soares:

“This is horrible news, but we’re proud of him for stepping up and recognizing his problem. At times like this you realize who your true friends are and who really supports you, and the people around him now are supporting him and are gonna be with him when he comes back. Paulo apologizes to his fans but he thanks them for their support and he promised that the next time they see him, he’ll be back at 100 percent and will be the Paulo Filho everyone expects to see.”

Get well soon, Paulo.

The WEC light heavyweight title bout between Doug Marshall and Brian Stann is now the main event.

Yay, DREAM 1 is finally tomorrow! Waking up at 4 am tomorrow to watch it.

Lightweight Grand Prix (16-man tournament):

-Tatsuya Kawajiri (#2 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Kultar "Black Mamba" Gill

-Shinya Aoki (#3 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Gesias "JZ" Calvancante (#4 Lightweight in the World)*

-Mitsuhiro Ishida (#5 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Jung Bu-Kyung

-Joachim Hansen (#10 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Koutetsu Boku

-Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Luiz "Buscape" Firmino

-Andre "Dida" Amade vs. Eddie Alvarez

-Artur Oumakhanov vs. Katsuhiko Nagata

Non-Tournament Bouts:

-Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (#8 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Yoshihiro Nakao

-Hayato "Mach" Sakurai vs. Hidetaka Monma

-Ikuhisa Minowa vs. TBA

* Based on MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Ikuhisa Minowa defeats Bum Chan Kang via submission (kneebar)

Hayato “Mach” Sakurai defeats Hidetaka Monma via technical knockout (strikes)

Joachim Hansen defeats Kotetsu Boku via unanimous decision Luiz Firmino defeats Kazuyuki Miyata via submission (rear naked choke)

Katsuhiko Nagata defeats Artur Oumakhanov via unanimous decision

Mitsuhiro Ishida defeats Bu Kyung Jung via unanimous decision

Mirko Filipovic defeats Tatsuya Mizuno via technical knockout (strikes)

Eddie Alvarez defeats Andre “Dida” Amade via technical knockout (strikes)

Tatsuya Kawajiri defeats Kultar “Black Mamba” Gill via unanimous decision

Gesias Calvancante vs. Shinya Aoki ruled a no contest

JZ/Aoki ruled a NC after JZ accidently hit Aoki in the neck a few times.

In May, the last twelve PRIDE events will be released, starting with Shockwave 2006. For those who don't remember, the event has Fedor/Hunt and Barnett/Nogueria II.

Edited by The Punisher

Barnett/Nog II and Kawajiri/Melendez, two top fights of 2006 on Shockwave. That was a great event.

Anyways, there was no non streaming way to watch DREAM 1 outside of Asia, so there will be no replay, I don't think spoilers are necessary, really.

Overall it was a bit underwhelming, I was really pissed off after the main event at first. The elbow I saw that I thought was the one that hurt Aoki was the clear shot to the neck, but replays show he was going down after what appeared to be a glancing elbow off the shoulder, deflected to the side of the neck/jaw area. It was an illegal blow, the NC was just (sucky, but just), but it looked like a bit of an acting job by Aoki. I still love the guy and for all I know he was actually hurt, but IMO, it looked very suspicious.

Hopefully they will go at it as soon as possible and one will go onto the next round, instead or neither or both advancing. Both of which would be super gay scenarios.

Otherwise, it was kind of ho-hum. I mean, I saw it coming a mile away, the way it was setup the first round was destined to contain plenty of one sided affairs. Everybody who won looked impressive, though. Hansen is a beast, Kawajiri handled Gill (who was a slippery little fucker and I was surprised he last the entire fight), Ishida dominated in Ishida fashion (not exciting, but very dominating none the less), and Alvarez recovered from a knockdown to destroy Dida. Nothing else was noteworthy. Not horrible, a lot of people feel robbed because there was so much hype surrounding the main event and it was hard to stomach the thing as whole because of it at first. But after sitting back and thinking about it, there were a few really impressive performances. Plus, now the filler is gone and the best are still left standing. Though it would have been nice to separate JZ and Aoki, as well as Eddie and Dida. I'd much rather see JZ and Dida move on instead of Nagata.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Didn't know if HDNet fights was airing the event, so thus the spoilers. As for fighter who probably wouldn't fight in the UFC because of Dana, Josh Barnett is the biggest one. Barnett because he was stripped of the title and released after a positive steriod test. Barnett is interested in coming back but Dana will have none of that.

Jess Liaudin takes on Paul Taylor at UFC 85 and Spencer Fisher is out of the April Fight Night and is replaced by Jim Miller.

How does everyone rate Taylor's chances against Liaudin? He's my local boy so I like to take interest in his career.

They've fought before and Taylor won but Liaudin calls it a controversial win for Taylor. If Taylor loses this fight, though, it might see him leave UFC as it would be his third loss in a row.

Couture on fighting Emelianenko: "I care at this point that it's not in the UFC," Couture said with a dejected laugh. "But outside of that, I don't care where it happens so long as it happens."

Bryan Baker will replace Filho and will take on Chael Sonnen at WEC 33.

Edited by Fitzy

At this point, I could live without hearing about Couture vs. Fedor until it actually happens. I'm so sick of hearing about it. I'm starting to think Cro Cop vs. Fedor II resulting in Cro Cop knocking Fedor's head off wouldn't be the worst thing. And it would shut Randy up. BTW, Cro Cop vs. Fedor is the fight they are trying to put together in DREAM.

Liaudin vs. Taylor should be a great fight. UFC 85 is looking really entertaining

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Report: Fedor never signed fight contract with M-1

By: MMAmania

Props: Sherdog.com

Quoteworthy:

“Despite the announcement of an agreement last October between Fedor Emelianenko and M-1 Global, the deal was never signed…. The Russian heavyweight’s only agreement with the company … came in the form of a letter of intent…. The return of a $1.5 million signing bonus paid by M-1 Global to Emelianenko is the only hurdle to the former Pride champion’s potential free agency. That should be remedied this week….”

Seriously, is it possible for this situation to get any more bizarre? It’s like a bad episode of the “Twilight Zone.”

During a Tuesday media conference call, EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw said that CBS executives would soon release details on the first-ever EliteXC-CBS event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) was the first to break news of the groundbreaking deal, which will put MMA on major U.S. network television for the first time. The deal calls for four annual events that will air in primetime on Saturdays.

The official press release was expected Wednesday, and though it never came, ProElite.com teased some info, including a May 31 debut date. Additionally, a bulletin there said that the first event date will be promoted during this week's CBS coverage of the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Today, our friends at fiveouncesofpain.com posted some additional info about the event, including:

* The event will take place in Newark, N.J. -- likely at the Prudential Center, which played host to UFC 78 this past November.

* Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson will headline the event, though his opponent isn't known.

* EliteXC middleweight champ Robbie Lawler will defend his title against Scott Smith.

* Gina Carano is expected to fight at the event. (According to fiveouncesofpain.com. Kaitlin Young and Cris Cyborg are the leading candidates to fight her.)

* Brett Rogers and Jon Murphy will likely meet in a swing bout for the event.

Edited by Fitzy