MMA News and Discussion Thread

Is it depressing that I feel remorse for Kalib Starnes? I mean - sure, it was a crap fight and from a fans point of view an absolute waste of time.

But, it's the whole mentality of the fans whinging about it more than anything. I mean some people seem to have taken it way too far, and kinda shows up the whole internet mentality of things.

Just a general musing I've had while browsing Sherdog. Which seems like one of those great websites for news as a whole, but full of pricks on the forum side of things.

I feel bad for Kalib because I'm sure he's not a bad human being who deserves to be ripped to shreds on anything other than a professional level. I do think he deserves every bit of criticism aimed at his performance and his release was warranted, IMO. Kalib fucked the dog and like I said, his heart has come in question repeatedly since his days on TUF, so he should be taking it like a man. I also think people need to get over it, I'm sure nobody realizes how much of an opportunity Starnes wasted more than he does. And if he doesn't, than he shouldn't be fighting professionally, because there are tons of fighters that would have committed murder to get a shot on an unaired prelim, let alone on a live PPV

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Wow, releasing Lutter is big. I could actually see him being one of the final two men in the Middleweight Grand Prix since they only held seven of the eight bouts they "have" for the 16 man tournament.

I'm considering getting a match or two from Dream 2. Maybe Aoki vs. Cavalcante. I've seen the first fight fro Dream 1 where it ended in a No Contest from the (accidental?) illegal blows from Cavalcante - but he was dominating that fight.

I know Aoki wins but Sherdog made quite a big deal of it so I'm wondering if it's worth watching. Anything from the rest of the card as well? I've heard good things Gegard Mousasi so is his match maybe worth getting?

Don't wanna waste my time so if anyone knows, thanks :)

I watched Tamura vs Funaki.

Tamura was really annoyed by it. Funaki went down, Tamura went to finish the fight quickly, and the referee was late getting in to stop it. Tamura hates striking, and has even pushed a referee before for stopping a fight late, when he was flurrying blows down.

Funaki had some nice strikes, but he would have been better off returning in Puroresu then in MMA.

Add Din Thomas, Tommy Speer, and Kuniyoshi Hironaka to the list of UFC's spring cleaning list.

Updated card for UFC 85: Bedlam

MAIN CARD (TELEVISED)

* Thiago Alves vs. Matt Hughes

* Michael Bisping vs. Chris Leben

* Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick

* Rashad Evans vs. James Irvin

* Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum

PRELIMINARY CARD (NOT TELEVISED)

* Martin Kampmann vs. Jorge Rivera

* Thales Leites vs. Nate Marquardt

* Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman

* Roan Carneiro vs. Ryo Chonan

* Luiz Cane vs. Jason Lambert

* Antoni Hardonk vs. Neil Wain

* Jess Liaudin vs. Paul Taylor

* Jonathan Goulet vs. Paul Kelly (not confirmed)

This looks like a show that will have some great fights.

First Jake Shields gets injured and forces the EliteXC Welterweight title match between him and Drew Fickett to be canceled from the March event and now Fickett is injured and the re-scheduled fight for June is now off. Apparently it might take place on the second EliteXC CBS event in July or they might find a replacement for Fickett and have the match in June.

I'm a big fan of Nate Marquardt, Michael Bisping and Matt Hughes so I'd quite like to see them. Will try and catch the matches after it's finished. And hopefully next year I will be able to go to a UFC event. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll ever get a chance to watch Matt Hughes at a live event which is a shame, but oh well.

Looks like a good card after all the injuries and stuff.

Afflication: Banned - July 19 PPV Card

MAIN CARD (PAY PER VIEW)

* Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia

* Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo

* Ben Rothwell vs. TBA

* Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko*

* Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Nascimento

* Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Ray Lazama vs. Justin Levens

* Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young

* J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight

* Brett Cooper vs. Mike Pyle

Looks like a decent card, big names and good fighters.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Renato Babalu Sobral back in action, liked him in the UFC so I was a bit gutted when I found out he'd been released. Also looking forward to seeing Alex Emelianenko in action, as well as the big main event. I expect Fedor to win for sure.

Fuckers at Sherdog's are such all round pricks. I'm sure there's plenty who are good, know their stuff and intelligent. But it was summed when I saw the post "you must be from England coz your English isnt good"... seriously? It wasn't aimed at me, but the posts are just... shocking. Anyone who says Bisping will beat Leben (even though its called off now) is apparently a Britain and a nuthugger. I've never seen a messageboard with such a low combined IQ.

Does anyone know any MMA forums where I can get some decent information. As I don't fancy reading Sherdog much more before my brain implodes from the stupidity. As this topic is a little slow moving for my liking I'm afraid. :(

fuk you all. Fedor is shit an Tim will KTFO of Fedor. ur all just on the Fedor bandwagon... yeah ¬_¬

Anyways it was more a case of i don't mind reading the stuff on their website, and just clicked a link and it took me to the forums. It's like youtube comments, they're so shit, so biased, yet you have to see them - its like a drug.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The Fight Network was just showing an EliteXC card from last year for some reason, so I watched it. Noons/Bennett, Carano/Kedzie, Loiseau/Villasenor, Cabbage/Silva, Shamrock/Gracie.

This was the first 'middle class' MMA show I've ever watched through (UFC being upper class, and smaller promotions like TKO where I've never heard of the guyss being lower class), and I really enjoyed it. For whatever reason, I'd even go as far as to say I prefer Elite to UFC now, although I'm not entirely sure I can put money on why. And once I remember Kimbo's their big money guy, I'll pretend I never made that statement. <_<

They were showing some Elite XC over here in England the other day too. On Sky Sports 3, so it's getting more and more coverage. I believe Sky Sports already aired Cage Rage, so with the buy out I guess they want to show some Elite XC too now. I only caught the second half of a rather dull Ricco Rodriguez vs. Antonio Silva match, and the entire 40 seconds of a Kimbo Slice vs. Tank Abbott match. I wasn't too enthralled to tell you the truth, cherry picking Kimbo's opponents.

He's got James Thompson soon, who is renowned for having a glass jaw. However I am massively psyched to see Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith. I've heard massively good things about Lawler, and people are championing this match as a potentially really great match. May also try and shoot for Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor depending on what people's reactions to it are.