MMA News and Discussion Thread

Yeah Lawler vs. Smith should be a great fight.

Anyone watch Dream 3? I've didn't really bother with the whole show, just four fights. Jason Miller vs. Katsuyori Shibata, Nick Diaz vs. Katsuya Inoue, Joachim Hansen vs. Eddie Alvarez, and Carol Uno vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida.

Miller/Shibata was very one sided. Diaz/Inoue was a solid fight. Hansen/Alvarez was a great fight. Probably an early contender for FOTY at this point. Unp/Ishida was a solid fight as well.

Wahey Fitzy, you've done that perfectly. I can go pick up the fights I want to see which were good, without having my results spoiled by finding out which ones were good.

Very good of you (Y)

EDIT: You weren't kidding, the Alvarez/Hansen match was really good. It had a bit of everything, and would be something good to show people and say, "This is MMA. This is what it's about, and this is how to show respect to your opponent after a fight."

I listened with English commentators. I say English, one of them sounded foreign, and I'm not sure they done the fight justice. They didn't really sell it to me, better commentators could have passed that off as a much better fight than these guys did, but at the same time it is nice to be able to watch a Japanese event and know what the commentators are talking about.

Edited by IAceI

I watched Shitbata against that Mayhem guy.

Just a terrible fight. I keep saying Shitbata needs to go back to wrestling, but he is just so fucking moronic, that I hope he stays in MMA and gets the crap beaten out of him for the rest of his 'career'.

Just god-awful.

Watching Daisuke Nakamura vs that Korean guy. So far a fun fight. I don't usually like MMA, as I find it inherently boring, but this match seems to be okay. Nice matwork and some quick exchanges. It sounded worked on the play-by-play notes.

And Nakamura winning makes me happy in the pants. U-STYLE wins again!

On Attack of the Show they showed this double knockout from an LFC event that recently happened (I guess)

Crazy knockout right there.

Also, the announcing team for EliteXC Primtime on CBS has been announced. It'll be Frank Shamrock, Mauro Ranallo, and Gus Johnson. I guess this means Shamrock chose EliteXC over Strikeforce as wasn't there something about him and anyone else who works for both promotions having to choose where they want to work as the networks don't want them appearing on both NBC and CBS?

Edited by Fitzy

UFC 85 continues to change things around as now Rashad Evans is off the event and Cane is back to facing Lambert and now. Marquardt vs. Leites is now promted to the main card.

Also, for those that have FSN in there area, they can watch the preliminary card of the July 19th Afflication: Banned event live.

MAIN CARD (PAY PER VIEW)

* Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia

* Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo

* Ben Rothwell vs. TBA

* Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Nascimento

* Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko

* Ray Lazama vs. Justin Levens

* Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young

* J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight

* Brett Cooper vs. Mike Pyle

Mark Coleman is off the UFC 87 card where he was in the main event against Brock Lesnar. Lesnar will still fight but no opponent has been named yet. A new main event for the Welterweight title was signed, though. GSP defends against Jon Fitch.

Haha, the pinnacle match for it all. Lesnar against the first ever heavy weight champion in Lesnar's hometown, and it's off the cards.

Fitch vs. GSP will be good though. But I can see GSP out doing him, he's just a cut above all his challengers right now.

I wasn't sure about it either, but this match is 100% just for our entertainment. (EDIT: In other words, they aren't designing this fight with the intention of pushing a guy or not. It's a filler match which will also be extremely entertaining. It'd be like having Rich Franklin fighting Nate Marquardt. Two guys who lost to Spider, who won't be getting another shot anytime soon. It's just there for filler, but will also be a great match.) If Brock loses, they'll think of what to do. If Herring loses, all right.

Either way, it's Nog and Mir before anything, and there will be time to build a new #1 around Herring, Vera, or Werdum. There will be challengers for Nog/Mir regardless.

Either way, I was EXTREMELY disappointed about Coleman being hurt, but now, this card is going to be so much better. GSP/Fitch + Florian/Huerta + Lesnar/Herring is better than just Lesnar/Coleman and Florian/Huerta, in my opinion.

Edited by Carparama

Hopefully Heath doesn't show up against Brock in the same mode he fought O'Brien, because it will end up making Brocky look like a million bucks. If that's the case, Brock will continually put Heath on his back, Heath is going to get extremely frustrated and not even try to fight off his back in hopes of a stand up for every take down. I have a feeling Brock might a bit harder to manipulate on the ground than Cheick Kongo. That's sarcasm.

Heath is really working his ass off after that O'Brien fight so I hope he puts his all into training for and fighting Brock.

The problem with Heath has been his gameplans. He often goes out and tries to execute what he wants to do, but doesn't seem prepared for when his opponent tries to put his own gameplan to work. But like I said, he looks much better since his first UFC loss. Even in the his loss to Nog, I'm seeing the old Herring that worked his ass off to fight out of bad situations instead of just being pissed off that things aren't going his way.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy