MMA News and Discussion Thread

I am not sure if Saunders is ready for the step up in competition in Swick. Could be good, though.

Good to see them give what Koscheck wants, more fights. He's one guy they certainly can count on to be ready whenever they need someone.

Thats true.

I personally would have preferred Swick to face off with Karo, and Saunders to fight Anthony Johnson with the winner facing Swick/Karo.

I heard Karo's suspended though for his drug test from 94?

Anyyyways. I want to see Hazzlet vs Anthony Johnson. That would be sick fight.

Also, If Alvez wins who gets the next title shot in your guys opinion.

probably Swick if he beats Saunders, or Fitch if he wins another fight first, i mean he holds a victory over Alves already.

I could also see the winner of Hughes/Serra getting a shot if they get another win after. Or if it ends controversially we could see GSP get an immediate shot.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Looks like Off The Record is doing an MMA-based show tomorrow. Opening interview is with Dana White, and then the panel consists of Big Nog, Demian Maia...and TOMMY LASORDA?!?

The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale main event looks to be Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida. This should be a great fight.

yeah it should be high octane non-stop action. I think Diego wins it though, i think he is a better wrestler, better at subs, stronger, and has better striking. But it should be fun, but i see Diego finishing Clay in the second or third round.

Mir injured, but Lesnar rematch still on

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The heavyweight title unification bout between champion Brock Lesnar and interim champ Frank Mir at UFC 98 on May 23 remains on despite arthroscopic surgery performed on Mir's right knee earlier this week.

Fiveouncesofpain.com initially reported Friday that the bout was off because of a back injury sustained by Mir. It later corrected that to say it was a knee injury. And then MMAWeekly.com reported Mir had knee surgery.

UFC president Dana White said after the weigh-in for UFC 96 at the Nationwide Arena that he knew nothing of an injury by Mir. Mir and manager Dean Albrecht did not return messages.

"I don't know anything about it, so I honestly couldn't tell you anything about it," White said of Mir's injury and the report that the fight was off. "I'm not too worried about it now. If that were the situation, I'd know about it. I honestly don't know right now. I haven't talked to Frank and I haven't talked to Lesnar and if that's the situation, I'm not going to make any statements until I talk to everybody."

But a source in Las Vegas close to Mir said his knee began swelling excessively last week after a workout. After an examination, Mir had arthroscopic surgery to "clean up" the knee.

Mir won the interim title from Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92 in December despite a training camp that was filled with injuries. Mir’s back was bothering him and he received frequent treatment on it in an attempt to enable him to compete.

An alternative would be to push the title bout back to UFC 100 on July 11 in Las Vegas, but White said because he had no information, he couldn't comment.

-MMAJunkie

Diego vs. Clay. People in the crowd will probably faint before the action gets underway due the fact that the potential exchange of "mean n' angry" faces may be as intense as the actual fight.

What shambles a Jardine upset tonight would cause. Page beats Chuck, Jardine beats Forrest, Jardine beats Chuck, Chuck beats Wandy, Wandy beats Jardine, Forrest beats Page, Page beats Wandy, then say Jardine upsets Page... That's without the Rashad Evans factor. Who ever is in charge of maintaining the contention ladder in the UFC must need a stiff drink when they sit down to try and figure this shit out. Somewhere Lyoto Machida is content knowing he is the only constant at 205, but then remember he's Lyoto Machida and a lot of fans still aren't quite sure just who the hell he is.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'd love for a Light-Heavyweight tournament, similar to the recent Heavyweight tournament. Once the recent fights are out of the way they can throw it together for the later half of the year/early 2010. Guys like Rampage, Machida, the winner of Liddell/Shogun and Forrest Griffin would be easy and deserved picks. They could maybe even throw it up to 8-men and toss Franklin, Jon Jones and Cane in there as wildcards.

Essentially though, it boils down to everyone loves a tournament.

I'd love for a Light-Heavyweight tournament, similar to the recent Heavyweight tournament. Once the recent fights are out of the way they can throw it together for the later half of the year/early 2010. Guys like Rampage, Machida, the winner of Liddell/Shogun and Forrest Griffin would be easy and deserved picks. They could maybe even throw it up to 8-men and toss Franklin, Jon Jones and Cane in there as wildcards.

Essentially though, it boils down to everyone loves a tournament.

Jones and Cane? why not Hamill(if he beats Munoz) he has bigger/better victories in the UFC so far.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Predictions, anyone? Rampage beating Jardine seems like a foregone conclusion to me, I'll guess first round TKO. Hoping Carwin beats Gonzaga, but that one will be close.

Predictions, anyone? Rampage beating Jardine seems like a foregone conclusion to me, I'll guess first round TKO. Hoping Carwin beats Gonzaga, but that one will be close.

Really?

Anyways.

heres what i got;

Jardine over Rampage UD

Jardine's brutal leg kicks will decimate Rampage, and help him wear down rampage and get the victory. If Forrest's leg kicks can do hefty damage to Rampage, then Jardine's will obliterate his legs. I think Jardine is finally ready to step up to elite and be conisitant this is his chance.

Gonzaga over Carwin KO

ANywhere this fight goes Gonzaga has the advantage. He is the better striker, better grappler and he is leaps and bounds better then anyone Carwin has faced. Gonzaga is a beast and this will prove if Carwin is ready, but Gonzaga wins probably by a TKO after Carwin gets dominated and gasses.

Hamill over Munoz UD

The Wrestling will be close, but Hamill is the better striker, has the better chin and hits like a truck, He's also stronger then Munoz. Hamill has all the potential to become a UFC champion down the road, and he has only legitimately lost to Rich Franklin who is one of the best fighters in the world.

Maynard over Miller UD

Jim Miller is a great prospect, he has good submissions but he won't sub Maynard off of his back, and he won't put him on his back either. Maynard will contol Miller for victory just like his fight with Frankie Edagr. But Maynard could end this one with a punch he has great power in his hands.

Boetsch over Brilz KO

Madigan over McCrory TKO

Vera over Patt TKO

Brown over Sell UD

Grove over Day SUB

Riley over Nelson

Forgot all about this, glad I got reminded. Really hoping for Rampage to go on an actual rampage and destroy Jardine. I'm a little worried though because Jardine always seems to prove me wrong (Griffin/Chuck). The best thing is that I know someone is getting knocked the heck out, so I'm looking forward to that.