Transfer Thread

ONO

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Not The Ring

I wonder how much he's getting paid. He may be old, but he's still okay and could have cut it in another team that's not in a shitty, shitty league.

Also, Spurs are gonna sign Kaboul this week apparently :w00t:. Of what I've seen, it'll be a quality signing if he settles. Also, if we score as much as we did last season without conceding as much as we did, we'll be ace.

Apparently Charlton are gonna hold out for £17 million for Bent. From a Spurs perspective I hope we don't fork out that much for him, I'd rather we kept Defoe, Berbatov, Keano and even Mido rather than paying over the odd for Bent.

Undoubtably he's a good player, but no way worth £17 million! Especially if Keano and Berba are leading the line for us next season all Bent will do is sit on the bench, that's a lot of money to pay for that.

Bolton have taken Danny Guthrie on loan for the season from Liverpool, it should give us an indication of whether he's cut out for the Premiership. He had a few cameos for Liverpool last season before joining Southampton on loan, but never got a decent run in the side.

Apparently Newcastle, Bolton and Portsmouth all want Fredi Kanoute from Sevilla, and his agent has quoted his price as £6.7m.

Eh, well I know one thing: £6.7m > £17m (not mathematically, of course :shifty:)

Guest Not The Ring

He's a one-season horse like Forlan, which is why no one wants him in Spain. He's normally okay because he's big and strong and the Spanish defenders are all "lol, fall" but he's old and he'll probably never do as well as he did this season, especially not in England.

Yeah, screw paying 17m for Bent, Liverpool and Spurs should get in on this Henry action for £1m less! Admittedly that'd only go towards his much higher wages but still.

With Henry's signing, hopefully Barca will be a bit more open to letting Eto'o go. I know it's unrealistic, but I'd love to see him at Liverpool.

If Eto'o goes anywhere, it'd be to Arsenal I believe.

Personally I'm getting bored of this. Part of me is getting sick of Henry's lack of commitment to the club he CAPTAIN's and the club that made him a name. As the captain you should put the team first, and Henry isn't doing it. If he would just come out and say I'm going or I'm staying it'd be much better, but he hasn't said a thing, and because of it I've lost a little respect for him.

With Henry's signing, hopefully Barca will be a bit more open to letting Eto'o go. I know it's unrealistic, but I'd love to see him at Liverpool.

Personally I'm getting bored of this. Part of me is getting sick of Henry's lack of commitment to the club he CAPTAIN's and the club that made him a name. As the captain you should put the team first, and Henry isn't doing it. If he would just come out and say I'm going or I'm staying it'd be much better, but he hasn't said a thing, and because of it I've lost a little respect for him.

See, I don't get this. These past few seasons there has been no-one MORE committed to Arsenal's cause than Henry. Now the landscape has changed. Arsenal is becoming a different club for many people. He's done a good service. Maybe it's better for him to just admit he's going, but maybe it's a little hard for him to choose? He loves the club, but is worried for the future. Let him work it out. If you keep him, it's a boost. If you sell him, it's 16m in the bank.

The problem with it is is how long does it take to decide? I mean last season he signed a contract and said it was his last contract and he'll stay with Arsenal for life, so what's changed his mind? It's not Wenger saying "yeah he can go" because if he goes, it'll be Henry's decision and I think he might put it down to David Dein's dismisall because he's been talking about him, saying he should never have left and how all our players are unhappy...really helpful captain stuff eh?

Edited by TMM

Guest Not The Ring

Henry put it down to Wenger not committing to the club (but then Wenger has never signed a new contract before Feb/Mar of the last year of his contracts with us) and Dein's departure. He said he couldn't risk being at the club without both of those two men.

But now what will it mean for the rest of the team? Will Wenger be less likely to stay? Will that lead to Fabregas leaving? Could there be a mass exodus at Arsenal?

I reckon Arsenal are more likely going to replace Henry with Trézéguet.

Good god I hope not.

What is the most annoying thing about all this is that Henry's loyalties lie with Arsene Wenger and not Arsenal, which as the captain of the club is very disappointing, but if a player wants to leave, let him, it's not the end of the world. People thought Overmars and Petit leaving signalled the end of everything, but it didn't. People thought Anelka leaving would end out chances of winning things, but it didn't and the same will be true of Henry leaving. Ok another transitional season is in store, but I don't think we were realistic challengers for the title anyway, only Chelsea and Man Utd were last season and at this point in time, still are.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if we brought in Anelka as he's a proven goalscorer at this level, and Arsene Wenger would bring out the very best in him, but we'd need another player on top of that.

That said, we need to make some serious signings now that Henry is off. Eto'o, while a great player is nowhere near as good as Henry, which unfortunately, Eto'o thinks he is. Eto'o has a huge ego which has him thinking Henry has been brought in to partner Eto'o, where as I personally don't think they can play in the same team. Eto'oI wouldn't mind as a player, but I dunno, while Henry had a huge ego on the pitch, he had nothing of the sort off it, whereas Eto'o has always struck me as a player who needs to be the centre of attention all the time.

As it stands now we only have two recognised goal-scoring strikers at the club in Adebayor and van Persie. Now, I love Adebayor, but he's not a 20-30 goal a season players, and while van Persie was showing signs of it last season, I don't think he is ready to carry the weight of Arsenal on his shoulders in regards to scoring that many goals either, not even counting whether he stays fit or not. We've sold Aliadiere (who got injured and couldn't score anyway), let Baptista go back to Spain (he's shite anyway) and will hopefully be selling Reyes, which'll mean another £15m (at least) on top of the £16m for Henry, so that's £31m for a couple of new players, and whatever you say about Wenger, he can find a deal if he needs to. Whether this money could fund a £30m+ deal for an Eto'o, a Ronaldinho, a Villa or a Torres, or whether it funds two or three very good players (Babel, Robinho) who will keep us up there and maybe win us the FA Cup, then next season will be a success, because again, and annoyingly, next season will be a building process for the next year UNLESS we bring in a proven 20 goal a season striker.

Now there's also the rumours about Arsene Wenger leaving. He's not leaving until next season if he even does. Wenger will honour his contract, that something I think Arsenal fans have nothing to worry about, and if he goes next season, yes it'll be disappointing, but again, it's up to him. My opinion is Wenger likes the challenge. He came to Arsenal and set about slowly rebuilding the squad, and now he'll have to do that again by bringing in a striker and bringing us back to the top.

There is also the issue of the new captain. Personally any of Toure, Gilberto or even Fabregas will be better captain's than Henry. As great a player is Henry is, he was not a captain, whereas I can see any of the above captaining the club. Personally I would love to see Kolo in charge, leading from the back as I've always thought the captain should be a defender or a midfielder.

Edited by TMM