Transfer Thread

ONO

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i just came

Reports in Spain suggest that Manchester City have lodged a bid for Fernando Torres but the Spanish international is still set for a move to Liverpool.

It is believed that three clubs, Liverpool, Internazionale and Man City have met the demands of Atletico for their prized striker.

However, Torres is set on a move to Anfield as talks continue between the two clubs - with a deal likely to be finalised within the next few days.

The news of City's interest is likely to have come on the behest of their manager-elect Sven Goran Eriksson - but their bid is almost certainly doomed to failure.

Liverpool have been brokering the Torres deal for the last week and they finally look set to seal the transfer this weekend.

The move has been smoothed over after Rafa Benitez relented and allowed Luis Garcia to move in the opposite direction.

Reports suggest that Garcia was keen to return to his homeland, where he is currently in the final stages of recovering from a long-term knee injury.

Garcia is valued at €5million (£3.3million) and will seal his deal, like Torres, in the coming days.

Sure, it's one thing to actually match the fees being banded around by other teams but when it comes to actually attracting high class players to the club you haven't really got a leg to stand on.

So? I'm pretty sure Sunderland could scrape all their budget together and possibly have that amount to spend. Since Quinn did mention the transfer budget would be approximately £20m +, I'm sure they could garner another £6.5m or so and match the bid.

It means jackshit. Wasting time chasing something that's long gone. In fact, it's just a downright stupid move. As if Torres, who is on the verge of signing with Liverpool is going to hear of Manchester City's interest and call a halt to proceedings and sign with them.

Like I said, I'm confident Sunderland could put together a £26.5m bid for Torres. Why the fuck would we though?

EDIT: Ellis, I have no idea if that was intentional. But I laughed quite a bit at that >_<

Edited by IAceI

I'm not even sure why Man City would make a bid like that. Surely it's only getting their fans' hopes up that they'll be able to attract Europe's elite to the club, and most of their signings will pale in contrast? >_>

Just because you have money doesn't mean good players will want to join you. Look at West Ham and all the players they got linked to during the season. Who did they get? Lucas "Where's the money?" Neill, Upton and Quashie. Hardly the elite of Europe is it?

Even if the interest was only from the World Cup, they've not signed him right after it, they've waited it out and let him play at Bayern Munich too. I doubt they saw he had a good World Cup, and then decided to sign him, but let him play on for Bayern, and then just launch their bid.

They've obviously been assessing how well he's been playing at Bayern as well, and in fairness, even when he was poor for England, he was still solid for Bayern. In fact, I'm pretty sure most Bayern fans are disappointed to see him go because he's been such a consistently solid player for them.

Just because prior to the World Cup, he was pretty ineffective for England, doesn't mean people weren't interested him before that. People just realised that he was a quality player after a brilliant World Cup for England.

Just because you have money doesn't mean good players will want to join you. Look at West Ham and all the players they got linked to during the season. Who did they get? Lucas "Where's the money?" Neill, Upton and Quashie. Hardly the elite of Europe is it?

I won't hear a bad word said about "I'm not black but I'm not white" Nigel Quashie :P

I, however, will hear as many bad words as possible about Matthew 'Thanks for getting me fully fit and match sharp, but I can't be arsed to wait six months to be back in the Premiership, so I'll join a side deep in relegation trouble' Upson.

Threw a hissy fit until we sold him and then played two games and was out for the rest of the season. Wonderful, bloody wonderful

I won't hear a bad word said about "I'm not black but I'm not white" Nigel Quashie :P

Just to end the Hargreaves debate he has been a player that United have had on their want list for a long time. Reports for a move for him first came about in Autumn 2005 but then he signed a contract for four years and so the interest from the papers linking him to United disappeared until after his solid World Cup.

Anyway Hargreaves is a great signing for the club as he is a player who has often talked about wanting to play for United which means he'll but in passionate performances rather than be here just to get a big paycheck.

Edited by Sam