The Champions League Final Thread

I'm not saying they spent their money wisely, but the reason they dropped points is the loss of those three players pretty much simulatenously. Denying that is denying the truth. Losing one is unlucky, two is hard to take but manageable, but three (especially the goalkeeper) then it doesn't matter who you bring in, it's going to hurt you when they're you're first choice. Especially in one of the best three domestic leagues in the world where anyone can beat anyone on their day, and playing in four competitions right to the wire. I'm not a Chelsea fan, but I still see that's why they've dropped points, just like every pundit and reporter seems to.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You make out like they did shit. Forgetting that they won two cups, the semis of the CL only to lose on penalties and practically taking the league to the last few games.

I could launch into the whole "other teams playing for a draw argument", but I won't. Besides, if Ronaldo hadn't played the best season any player has for a looong time then Chelsea would probably have taken the league too and no-one would bat an eyelid at their dropped points.

Anyway, I don't even know why we're talking about Chelsea's domestic performance in the Liverpool-Milan CL thread.

You make out like they did shit. Forgetting that they won two cups, the semis of the CL only to lose on penalties and practically taking the league to the last few games.

I could launch into the whole "other teams playing for a draw argument", but I won't. Besides, if Ronaldo hadn't played the best season any player has for a looong time then Chelsea would probably have taken the league too and no-one would bat an eyelid at their dropped points.

Anyway, I don't even know why we're talking about Chelsea's domestic performance in the Liverpool-Milan CL thread.

Edited by Lost Soul

No I don't. You asked why they lost points in the league, to which I said for a large part it was because they lost their first choice keeper, central defence partnership and captain. I never mentioned that had anything to do with the Champions League.

And the majority of teams that did play for draws played for draws for ALL the right reasons. Compare their side to Chelsea's and they said to themselves "We're hardly going to get a win out of this game". That isn't their fault, it is Chelsea's for not putting the game beyond doubt. That is their problem and nobody elses.
Edited by Mr. Mistoffelees

All I can so is sing their song MILAN .... MILAN! I got quite hooked to that last night watching them lift it.

Also to whoever said Chelsea would run riot or be more attacking than Liverppol were against Milan think again! Chelsea play some of the most defensive and boring football that has been seen! Sure it's effective but I would rather watch an attacking loss than watch my team grab a 1-0 week in week out.

Not as though Liverpool play much better they look to nullify just like Chelsea and I find it very hard to support a team that plays like that. Perhaps in a way Milan deserved the win just as a victory for flair football even if theres wasn't much last night the fact is they still rose to the occasion and won. Also Kaká played well, he won the free kick and set up the second. Even if his performance wasn't outstanding it was still effective and that is what counts at this level.

Edited by Sam

I don't know why you guys are saying 'this team would have beaten that team had they made it to the final, blah blah', the fact is you didn't because you weren't good enough. It's the whole point in the Champions League to crown a champion of champions, the best team in Europe defined by tournament rules. If you are beaten then you are eliminated.

Even if Liverpool were to play AC Milan today instead of yesterday the result would be different. You can't really say 'this team would have beat that team if that team was switched with this one', it retards the purpose of the whole tournament.

The only way to determine a clear and undeniable champion of Europe would be to have a league with all the clubs in Europe, which would take...possibly decades. With most of the scores being 20-0 bumfuck scorlelines with Matlock vs Barcelona. I wish I could actually do that in FM. :lol:

All I can so is sing their song MILAN .... MILAN! I got quite hooked to that last night watching them lift it.

Also to whoever said Chelsea would run riot or be more attacking than Liverppol were against Milan think again! Chelsea play some of the most defensive and boring football that has been seen! Sure it's effective but I would rather watch an attacking loss than watch my team grab a 1-0 week in week out.

I'm not a big fan of a team that really shouldn't even be allowed into the Champions League winning it.

I don't really get that. Milan didn't fix any games and they didn't pay anyone off to win anything. They had one of their officials approach an official for Serie A and ask to drop two referees that had been selected for their games (which is actually legal in Spain, England and France). I'm not even sure the changes actually occurred, but this is why they were fined. I personally think their points suspension is a more than worthy punishment for their actions. Juventus, Lazio and Fiorentina though, they got off more than lightly.

As for the game, Milan weren't any good, but Liverpool couldn't score so they didn't deserve to win.

I think we would've had more joy if Crouch started instead of Kuyt, who ended up outside of the box most of the time leaving us with Pennant or Zenden as the only players in the box.

After all, the best team in '05 lost it so I don't think the scousers can be too bitter on this one...
Edited by Daydream Anonymous

There were a couple of bitter looking posts after the game but I guess that's more down to immediate reactions (poor refereeing and the usual strawman excuses) I think then noral analysis. I do think you hit the nail on the head with Crouch there though, trying to swing in crosses he'd have been the ideal target man. I do think more prolific strikers may have helped them but long range pot shots, it takes a special one to go in and maybe one of the efforts from distance last night was a real chance.

It's the whole point in the Champions League to crown a champion of champions, the best team in Europe defined by tournament rules.

I know what you are saying, but the CL stopped being that the second it became purely about money, and started sticking in teams that came 2nd, 3rd and 4th.