40 Years of Sgt. Pepper

Matt

It's been 40 years since one of the most iconic albums of all time, one of my favourite albums even though the album was almost 25 by the time I was born. I'm looking forward to the re-recording tomorrow on Radio 2 with bans such as Razorlight, The Killers and Oasis. Anyway, what's everyone's favourite song from the album?

Personally, I like the opening two (Title track and "With a little help from my friends") as well as "When I'm 64" but "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" has to be my favourite. It's hard to pick a favourite as the album is filled with some of the greatest tracks of all time.

It's a wonderful album, though it wouldn't even get in my top five Beatles albums as I prefer Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road, With The Beatles, Help! and the White Album to it.

It has fantastic songs though. "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is one of my favourites alongside "Getting Better", "Lovely Rita" and "A Day In The Life." I'm appreciating how fantastic this album is even more just trying to think of a song.

Also, if any of you happen to have access to any of Paul McCartney's live albums I'd strongly recommend the live versions of "Getting Better" and "Sergeant Peppers."

"A Day in the Life" is my favorite Beatles song so, uhhh, that'd be the winner. "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" deserve honorable mention.

Is it blasphemy that this isn't my favorite Beatles album? I get mixed answers lol.

Edited by Thatz

"A Day in the Life" is my favorite Beatles song so, uhhh, that'd be the winner. "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" deserve honorable mention.

Is it blasphemy that this isn't my favorite Beatles album? I get mixed answers lol.

No, not at all. I think that the critics usually put Sgt. Pepper's as the top Beatles album, but I know a lot of Beatles fans who prefer other ones. There's a difference between favorite and best, you know. ;) My personal favorite is Revolver, and I'd probably put the White Album and Rubber Soul above Sgt. Pepper's too.

A man after my own heart. :wub:

"A Day in the Life" is, in my opinion, the greatest song ever.

However, to me the best Beatles album is Abbey Road, in that there is only one song on Abbey Road that I dislike ("Maxwell's Silver Hammer"), whereas almost every other Beatles album save perhaps "A Hard Day's Night" has a handful of songs that I can't stand.

Sgt. Peppers is a classic album, I realised that the first time I listened to it fully when I was about 15. But Revolver and Rubber Soul are probably my joint two favorite Beatles albums, with Sgt. Pepper coming after that.

I have a weird love for 'Fixing A Hole' above everything else. I can't stand Paul McCartney beyoned (save the song 'Once Upon A Long Ago') The Beatles because I can't find anything he didn't do within the band I hate.

Bang Bang Maxwell Silver Hammer.... sorry got caught up singing the song.

I love 'A Day in the Life' such a classic song that really got people wondering if Paul was really dead. Besides that the album from top to bottom is a classic, but I do prefer 'Revolver' and 'Rubber Soul' just like everyone else on the board does.

You cannot like Rock and Roll without liking The Beatles in my opinion.

I love 'A Day in the Life' such a classic song that really got people wondering if Paul was really dead. Besides that the album from top to bottom is a classic, but I do prefer 'Revolver' and 'Rubber Soul' just like everyone else on the board does.

Yay for blanket statements. I know "it's your opinion", but seriously, different strokes for different folks.

Yay for blanket statements. I know "it's your opinion", but seriously, different strokes for different folks.

I like rock and roll, and I like maybe two or three Beatles songs. Therefore, the statement isn't true. Most of their stuff has aged horribly, in my opinion, and a lot of it just wasn't very good anyway, not to mention they're responsible for the standardisation of pop music to the guitar-bass-drums-vocals verse-chorus-verse formula. Oh well.

Oh, and the best album is Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's a bit dull, but the title track's a good'un.

Sgt. Pepper's is probably my 2nd favorite Beatles album (just behind Revolver), and would rank among my top 10 favorite albums.

"With a little help from my friends" to me is the standout song. The ultimate "cheer up" song.

How can you not love The Beatles? They became the greatest band in the world by singing cheesy 2 minute love songs. That's genius.

I like rock and roll, and I like maybe two or three Beatles songs. Therefore, the statement isn't true. Most of their stuff has aged horribly, in my opinion, and a lot of it just wasn't very good anyway, not to mention they're responsible for the standardisation of pop music to the guitar-bass-drums-vocals verse-chorus-verse formula. Oh well.

Oh, and the best album is Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's a bit dull, but the title track's a good'un.

This is my point about The Beatles. In their day they did massive things, they were world changing and they're DEFINATELY the most influential band ever, even if just by proxy, but they are not necesarilly a great band like so many seem to state. As Skummy said, they aged horribly and the only real reason people consider them so good still, is because we are all barraged from a young musical age (IE: When we're 'learning the ropes') that The Beatles are important, and far too many people equate important with good, which is rarely ever true in the grand scheme of things, especially when you consider different musical tastes.