Top 100 Video Game Characters of All Time

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only 18 and hell, I was raised on the damn NES :P

I haven't, but neither did I vote for Cats so BLEH right at you :P (quick edit though, NES was my first console and a fixture of my childhood years from age 4 and up, just want to keep my "1337 g4m3rz"-rep up here :shifty:)

I don't know if anyone else has this, but I have exactly one name I am honestly anxious to see on this list, and pondering on his placement is really getting me worked up.

Edited by Bushmeister

Sometimes, I really fucking hate Photobucket. The damn thing's down right now for maintenance, so I've uploaded the images onto Imageshack for the time being.

Anyway, numbers 50 through 41 have been posted! Enjoy, everyone!

Kuja making it that far is nigh unforgiveable. He's probably my least favourite villain ever.

Writing his entry was pretty tough, yeah, I was wondering how he made it so far.

He's such a fucking sissy girl! I loved FFIX, but god, I wanted to kick Kuja in the balls (though I'm sure it would have no effect). :shifty:

Rincewind's a somewhat tricky one as far as him being far more a book character than a game character, at least in my mind. Still, much love for him, as for the FF characters in that one, except Kuja. I KNOW Prototype must have been responsible for that somehow.

And if Pyramid Head, at least, doesn't make it I will cry and cry like a two years old child.

I'm hoping "great skill in magic" was sarcasm >_>

I thought characters that were from other media didn't count, or was it just real people? Because I'd have thought Rincewind wouldn't have been legible for entry. Oh well.

I like Vincent Valentine as much as the next man, or maybe slightly less, but he's not actually that much of a good character. He's good and all, but he's just the typical angsty goth. Admittedly I haven't played Dirge Of Cerberus, but just from FF7, there's not enough to justify him being considered a great character other than having a nice look.

M. Bison should be higher. Simple as that.

I've never understood the love for Devil May Cry as anything other than a generic hack'n'slash waste of thirty minutes, so not fussed about Dante.

I used to hate Kuja, but he grew on me the last time I played FF9. He's as self-obsessed, unhinged and ruthless as Kefka, yet the fanboys all hate him and love his FF6 counterpart, and I've never seen reason other than "he looks like a girl"; well, have you seen Kefka's make-up?! Yikes. Kuja being pretty is part of the point! Gone are the days of villains being horrific and disfigured, it's the beautiful charming narcissists you need to watch out for.

I've never encountered Diddy beyond the Game Boy games he was in, so I really don't know anything about him or why he should be up there, but it's quite a surprise.

Biggs & Wedge, fuck yeah! I don't care that they aren't strictly "characters" per sé, rather just a pair of recurring names, but God, you can't have Final Fantasy without them. I miss the days when they died in every game, and the countless fanfiction jokes that came about because of it. Hell, I just miss the breadth of decent FF7 fanfiction that was out there once upon a time. Biggs & Wedge just sum up my massive FF7 geekdom and immersion into FF online culture and parody.

Scorpion is bad-ass, simple as. I thought he'd be higher. He's iconic, as well as a great character, and a great character to actually play as.

Reno, yet another of my FF fanboy loves, I adore him. Just really effortlessly cool, and one of the better supporting characters in the Final Fantasy series. Even though he was mostly comic relief (The Turks essentially serving the "Ultros" role), he's more fleshed out and likable than most FF comic relief characters, which tend to just be vehicles for jokes, whereas Reno is a genuinely likable and complete character. Kind of sums up Final Fantasy 7 for me; the game would function just as well without him, but the attention to detail on making you know just enough about him to care, makes it that much better.

Much love for Reno and Kuja, who is actually far more badass than anybody gives him credit for. As Norro pointed out, he eulogises on his lonesome! That's cool.

I was too young for the big Street Fighter craze, so M. Bison means little to me really, but I guess he's pretty well deserving of his spot. Huzzah for Biggs & Wedge, and Dante out of Devil May Cry is also pretty cool. Yippee.

And 'cos I know people were wailing about it a few pages back, I voted for 'Sim.' Deal with it.

I take back anything I said about this list before. Rincewind being anywhere fucking near this list is fantastic.

Nice update, it works better with ten rather than just five in my opinion. Guys like Scorpion, and even Reno being this low surprised the hell out of me, I can't help but get the feeling that the majority of the rest of the top 50 are gonna be guys I've never heard of before >_>

I thought characters that were from other media didn't count, or was it just real people? Because I'd have thought Rincewind wouldn't have been legible for entry. Oh well.

Rincewind the Wizzard was the primary character in a span of computer games based off the novel series. Considering Tony Montana, a character from a movie that wound up made into a game, made the list, it'd be a damn shame if Rincewind didn't.

Thankfully he did, and when the next list comes around, while Montana might not make it, he will. He really is a good character. The only reason I'd keep him really is because Rincewind could be recognized more as a game character then Montana, who is definitely more of a movie icon.

Also, "great skill in magic" was indeed sarcasm, Skummy, so don't worry :P

Edited by The Mask of Norro

Rincewind the Wizzard was the primary character in a span of computer games based off the novel series. Considering Tony Montana, a character from a movie that wound up made into a game, made the list, it'd be a damn shame if Rincewind didn't.

Thankfully he did, and when the next list comes around, while Montana might not make it, he will. He really is a good character. The only reason I'd keep him really is because Rincewind could be recognized more as a game character then Montana, who is definitely more of a movie icon.

Also, "great skill in magic" was indeed sarcasm, Skummy, so don't worry :P

As a huge fan of the Discworld books, I'd really have to challenge that point. He's been in at least half a dozen novels as the main character as well as a few cameo appearances all over a massive series spanning something like twenty or thirty years, while he's appeared in two video games.

Three, actually :P

What I'm saying is, though, that Rincewind could be seen as a more 'believable' candidate for a Top 100 Video Game Characters list then Tony Montana would. By that same notion, you have a character like Guan Yu who was an actual person, yet had a long series of games spawn an adaptation of him, and thus that qualified him enough for this time around.

Keep in mind that once I get ready to start the Top 100 voting again next time, I WILL also bring up a topic about what all of you think should qualify a character to be a part of the list. I.E.: "Should they be a video-game-made character, or can it be adapted off a character from another media?" etc.

So if you really don't think Rincewind should be on the list, be sure to voice that again when the topic arises. We're probably going to go through a good number of these lists before we find one that's relatively acceptable to everyone involved.