Top 100 Video Game Characters of All Time

UGH.

Finally, okay guys. So tonight, I'll be doing the update. At some point tomorrow, I'll be doing the Top 10. Guaranteed.

I'm very sorry for the late, but college has been kicking my ass hard this quarter. It's probably one of the busiest quarters I've had in some time.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well isn't that just convenient. Ugh.

My entire school's internet suddenly stopped working. Every computer on every floor has no internet access. What's more, their "Free Public WiFi" doesn't do shit, because they've yet to fix it so that it's actually usable, leaving me without a connection there.

So, I went to fill up on gas at a nearby Shell, and come to find out there's a wireless connection nearby. So here I am, at 3:41AM, sitting at a Shell station and doing this update.

Fan. Fucking. Tastic. You bitches had better appreciate the hell out of me, even if it' taken weeks and some of the characters in this update might piss you off >_>

#s 20 to 11 posted!

I finished everything up using the limited wireless connections I had. When those stopped working, I checked back at the school, internet was up, and I just jumped in, uploaded everything, ran out.

Fun stuff. Enjoy, everyone! Top 10's starting tomorrow night!

Top 10 starts tonight, as we count down to who you voted as your first ever EWB Top Video Game Character of All Time.

After everything's finished, keep in mind that this was only the first of many lists I'll be running for video game characters, until we can come to what we feel is our "best" list.

That being said, feel free to voice a few opinions you guys have towards the whole thing, such as:

- Do you like the blurbs about the character? Do you think they need to be more elaborate? Less? More informational and less opinionated, or perhaps the other way around?

- Do you prefer the 10 Characters Per-Update format, or the 5 Per-Update? Do you think I should do more, or less, per update then 5 or 10?

- With quality control: should a character have to be strictly a video game character, not originating from any other media, or is that okay? How far should the bounds be stretched, as in, should I allow characters from movies? Should I allow characters that are less known in games, and moreso elsewhere? (Examples: Tony Montana, Rincewind the Wizzard, etc.)

- Again with quality control: should there be a certain "level" of notoriety that the character has had to have reached, or perhaps just the game itself, in order to qualify them? For example: King Slender making it as far as he did was the basis of a small group of people voting for him highly. However, logistically, he has no place on the list as he was actually the most hated character from that game overall. His appearance in the 70s was completely out of left-field.

- How should the numbering system be operated? The system I started with for this list was very rough, in that I calculated nomination points, the points given in voting and then, should there still be ties, I used the ranks given in the nominations rather then the points to separate characters. This (barely) managed to break all the ties, allowing there to be one character per number. Can you think of a better system, a way to expand on this one and make it more reliable, or anything dealing in the matter? Any help is appreciated.

- If you can think of anything else to add, just let me know. Any and all help regarding the future of this project is appreciated, as I want to make this constant thing in the Coin Op so that we can really get a decent list put together eventually.

Top 10 starts tonight, as we count down to who you voted as your first ever EWB Top Video Game Character of All Time.

After everything's finished, keep in mind that this was only the first of many lists I'll be running for video game characters, until we can come to what we feel is our "best" list.

That being said, feel free to voice a few opinions you guys have towards the whole thing, such as:

- Do you like the blurbs about the character? Do you think they need to be more elaborate? Less? More informational and less opinionated, or perhaps the other way around?

I'd prefer it if you reserved posts in the thread so you can edit the first post to include the top 10 (or 5, whatever), so by the end when you open the thread the newest (and highest) entries appear at the top (and load first).

I'd actually like to see the 10 character system from 100-11, then have separate posts for each of the top ten. Just to add to the tension. (¬_¬)

I'd also like to see a public nominations discussion thread prior to finalizing our votes. So everyone has a chance to discuss who they're thinking about choosing (so we don't start flaming for 'crappy' characters being included). It might help people remember certain characters they loved but couldn't think of if they see someone mention the character or characters from the game they're in. Official nominations would be done through PM of course. It might also allow people to discuss if anonymous player characters (like Sims) should be allowed, since they have no character (but do have their own charm about them). Even Goombas and stuff like that, anonymous NPCs. Should they be allowed?

Maybe you could also list the characters who got votes but weren't the top 105, you know, but a brief list, no pictures or blurb, just a thing saying they were voted for? ^-^

And for the record, I enjoy the write-ups.

I've enjoyed the competition so far, I just wish that I could have participated in the voting before hand. I think that's what this list really needs...more people voting. It seems to me that some characters made it in just because one or two people put them at the top of their list, which wouldn't have happened if we had more voters. So, next time, maybe leave nominations open longer and advertise the thing more? I don't know why I missed them, as I browse through here quite often, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who missed out. More people should definitely help whatever problems this thing has though, and it should create a "better" list.

Number 10 is posted, let the countdown begin!

Sorry for not getting it up last night, wound up getting too tired to continue it :P

Boo urns to whoever says Sephiroth's overrated, he should have been higher than that!

Posting the One Winged Angel lyrics made me mark out... not coincidentally since I can sing the song from memory <_>

I just saw this thread and the other one, and the lack of Laharl makes me sad. He, Prier and Etna are all vastly superior to Flonne who made the list from the same series of games. But well done with the write-ups. As long as Mario doesn't win I'm content.

Guest Basquiat

Bah, Sephiroth. Bah, I say. Ah well, given his popularity and his ability to rally untold amounts of Internet groupies to his side, I guess he deserves the spot. And to be fair, I did like him in Kingdom Hearts 2 (aside from the fact that fucking CLOUD ended up doing all the work, grr argh rage).

Speaking of DA MAN... "Safer Sephiroth?" Was that a translation issue? Was it supposed to be "Seraph Sephiroth" or something? Safer just never made sense to me.

Bah, Sephiroth. Bah, I say. Ah well, given his popularity and his ability to rally untold amounts of Internet groupies to his side, I guess he deserves the spot. And to be fair, I did like him in Kingdom Hearts 2 (aside from the fact that fucking CLOUD ended up doing all the work, grr argh rage).

Speaking of DA MAN... "Safer Sephiroth?" Was that a translation issue? Was it supposed to be "Seraph Sephiroth" or something? Safer just never made sense to me.

My understanding is that Safer Sephiroth was a slight corruption of Sefer Sephiroth, which is Hebrew for 'Book of Numbers'... could be wrong on that though.

I believe "Safer" and "Sefer" are actually interchangable; Sephiroth the name is probably derived from Sephirot, which in Judaism refers to the ways in which God can manifest Himself (ties in with Sephy and Hojo's respective God Complexes, and the numbering of Sephiroth 'clones'), so Safer Sephiroth was an extension of that; essentially a convoluted addition to an already fairly abstract naming concept, but essentially it's just a way to differentiate him from the other forms of Sephiroth you have to face.

Sephy definitely deserves to be up there, I don't consider him over-rated at all; maybe as a final boss, yes, but certainly not as a CHARACTER, which as far as I'm concerned is what all this countdown is about. I've already argued in his favour elsewhere, and when Kefka popped up, but I think he's one of the strongest Final Fantasy villains there is. Maybe a little cliché, but certainly not hurt for it.