Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spurs seem to be lacking in midfield, can't see the point of having 4 great strikers if your midfield isn't up to scratch.

Very well played by Sunderland today over the game you have to say they deserved the win as they had more of the possesion and seemed to pass it about better than Spurs. Although Sunderland were dire at using their free kicks and corners.

When Aaron Lennon is fit, our midfield is hugely improved. Jenas had one of his bad days (unfortunately there's quite a few of them), Malbranque played quite well though, and Zokora wasn't terrible either. Tainio was out of position, I don't ever remember him playing right midfield before for us.

I question whether you actually watched the game or whether you're basing your opinion of the match on the last ten minutes. Both teams played as well as the other and both had good spells of pressure that should have produced more goals, but no more for one team than the other really. And I have no idea where you came up with Sunderland having more possession. They had 48% while Spurs had 52%.

Felt for Tottenham today, neither team deserved to win in that match and losing in the last touch was very unfortunate. Good starts for Newcastle, Blackburn and Everton, all of whom should occupy UEFA places at the end. Derby did well to draw with Portsmouth and I was very impressed with Man City's win against West Ham, looks like they've made some very good signings.

That was almost last season all over again. We bossed for almost the entire match but just didn't create enough chances, and when they did come we just didn't put them away. Babel, Gerrard and Kuyt should really all have made it comfortable before Villa equalised. No complaints about the penalty, and I actually thought they'd go onto win it as the momentum seemed to have shifted completely.

It was a questionable freekick in the first place, but the finish was awesome. Thoroughly deserved goal though, there were times when Gerrard was just too good for Villa. He'd just up the tempo suddenly and they'd look lost, and like I said he should've scored earlier - but oh well, doesn't matter now.

Torres and Kuyt looked really good up front as well. Kuyt dropping off Torres worked really well, and the dummy for the first goal was quality. If Kuyt can carry on playing like that then I can see most defences struggling with him, he popped up everywhere and rarely wasted possession.

Glad we've won, Chelsea next week as well so it was important not to lose.

That was almost last season all over again. We bossed for almost the entire match but just didn't create enough chances, and when they did come we just didn't put them away. Babel, Gerrard and Kuyt should really all have made it comfortable before Villa equalised. No complaints about the penalty, and I actually thought they'd go onto win it as the momentum seemed to have shifted completely.

It was a questionable freekick in the first place, but the finish was awesome. Thoroughly deserved goal though, there were times when Gerrard was just too good for Villa. He'd just up the tempo suddenly and they'd look lost, and like I said he should've scored earlier - but oh well, doesn't matter now.

Torres and Kuyt looked really good up front as well. Kuyt dropping off Torres worked really well, and the dummy for the first goal was quality. If Kuyt can carry on playing like that then I can see most defences struggling with him, he popped up everywhere and rarely wasted possession.

Glad we've won, Chelsea next week as well so it was important not to lose.

You're right about today. I think as a Liverpool fan, you can go away with that really pleased with the victory and the performance of Torres up front. It took a great FK to win it, but Villa Park isn't the easiest place to win a game and it's definitely one "out of the way". I know last season Liverpool were missing alot of chances, and today they did the same. Difference was, you scored two goals. I'd get worried if you wern't making chances at all. To be honest i was skeptical about Liverpool challenging United and Chelsea this season. This game today has got me thinking that maybe they can.

Brilliant first half for City, second half was a bit pins and needles until Geo came on. Corluca looked very solid, good to great tackler, Garrido outside of his yellow card looked solid as well. Petrov shot a few too many times, but showed that he can deliver a nice cross on that left. Bianchi and Bojinov are going to be a handful for defenses, all the both of them do is run and run and run and Bianchi especially holds the ball up well. Nedum looked good after he came on, Micah was a rock and could find himself in central for England. Dunney was there, solid but unspectacular, Johnson had some poor touches but he'll grow into it and I thought Ireland didn't look up to it today, not sure how long he'll hold the spot for. Hamman was out there to kick some lumps in Freddy it looked like, so he did that pretty well and Geo looked very nice for the 11 minutes that he was in, should have made it two though. Kasper looked okay, flapped a few times but made right decisions for the most part. Sad part is, City played more attractive football today than they did in the whole of last season, hopefully we can keep it going with Derby Wednesday and the Rags on the 19th.

Manchester City suprised me today, to see some of these guys adapt so quickly is outstanding. Besides a few selfish shots on goal (or way off goal, rather) Petrov was incredible. He was everywhere on the pitch, looked impressive and not easy to take the ball from. Geovanni and Elano looked like they will do well and Corduca (is that his name) was very good. The Man of the Match performance has to go to Richards though, stoppign Zamora from doing anything and the result was only 1 on target shot by West Ham. Very happy for Schmeicel to get a clean sheet on his debut too, what a day this must be for him and his father.

As foe Villa/Liverpool. I wasn't pleased with our second half performance. Way too clumsy, giving the ball away far too much. I'm thankful for our defence and Kuyt/Torres made a great partnership. The midfield and especially the wings though, were shit. Risse played horrible, selfish football. Pennant was ok but needed to be taken off before he threw a fist or something idiotic. Sissoko was absolute tripe for the bit's he played, lost the ball on all occasions. Gerrard was great and Alonso kept things together but that's about it. Excellent performance in the first half but a whole new mdifeild in the second led to less oppurtunities for our team and more for Villa.

What a goal by Gerrard, luck may just be on our side this season. Or perhaps that was pure skill? I find it hard to believe, just look at that goal. It looks impossible with Carew and a goalkeeper who had previously put in a great performance. Gorgeous.

Voronin and Sissoko didn't have much time so it wouldn't be fair to judge them, but Babel looked really lively. It's odd to have a player that looks to run at players every time he has the ball, I can see why Arsenal wanted him. Fits the mould of a "Wenger attacker" to a tee, really good signing by Benitez. Could quite easily of had two goals and looks like he'll play a bigger part than I originally thought.

Sissoko came on in the 90th minute, you can hardly expect him to settle into the match and put in a fantastic performance in four minutes.
Edited by mAXi

Same old scousers, always cheating.

Same old scousers, always cheating.

Pennant shoulda been sent off. Wasn't a free kick. Carragher pissed & moaned plenty. Gerrard played well, what a fucking free kick. Absolutely perfect. As for the rest, it was quite even, they had chances, we had chances. We just didn't play to our strengths, and Liverpool kept Carew out of the game perfectly. Shame the referee was a Liverpool fan, too.

Overall, deserved a draw. Got a lose. Not dissapointed, can't stop free kicks like that.

Anyway, come on Ridgewell. : ] Hope the lad does well at the scum.

Edited by 'P.S.' Summers