Your favourite musical movement from punk onwards

Right, when punk came into the UK and also the US (in a different manner) in the late 70s it swept disco aside and beckoned in yet another musical "movement". Since then we've had 30 years of musical styles.

This is a really really vague question really and one open to argument over terminology but for you which music "scene" has been the most exciting.

For me personally being a teenager at the time it HAS HAS to be Britpop. Blur, Pulp, Suede, Elastica, Sleeper, Echobelly, Supergrass, Oasis....

It came out of US and Seattle grunge really. It was an answer to grunge, the UK deciding not to be a clone and trying something different - it told tales of life in the UK both Northern (Oasis) and Southern (Blur). It brought with it a swagger, time-wise it crossed into the excellent dance stylings of Underworld, Chemical Brothers and Prodigy.

It was music that told real life stories with tongue in cheek and hope.

It pretty much shaped my secondary school existance.

Pray tell, what are you a fan of?

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

A direct-yet-not-so-direct descendant from punk, grindcore.

To clarify, it grew from such extreme punk acts as Discharge, and blossomed into the bands that are still revered in the genre such as Napalm Death, Terrorizer, Repulsion and Extreme Noise Terror. From the early years in the 80's, grind has grown to encompass such things as goregrind (grind with brutal death metal elements) and cybergrind (grind with industrial elements), but even with the addition of new subgenres the general direction of grind has remained very narrow and focused. It is much easier to branch out to death metal and/or metal in general than remain a grindcore band while still pushing the envelope of the genre, but I personally dig the defined boundaries that cage in one of the most extreme styles of music to be found on the planet today.

Uh..punk? :shifty:

Honestly, nothing since then has really enticed me. I've said it a million times, but I'll say it once more, I loved it because it took rock and roll and stripped it down. It gave rock and roll it's balls again, there was no censoring thoughts, feelings, or words, and contrary to what people believe, the music itself was fantastic. It's an eclectic genre with so many bands providing so many different sounds in it's heyday. It embodies everything that I believe to be good and pure in rock and roll, and completely reinvigorated my love for music during a stagnant time in 8th grade.

As for what's come since then? I'd say surf revival (Phantom Surfers, Los Straitjackets) is probably the closest to a musical movement that I've really enjoyed.

Inspired by 7 Ages of Rock much, Hammy?

To be honest, I'm not sure what's lead to some of the music I like. I like my punk rock music, which has it's obvious roots.

However how bands like Modest Mouse, Minus the Bear stuff like that came to be - just two bands off the top of my head - I'm not sure.

I still love my indie music of today, and yesteryear as well. Stuff like Oasis, Blur as you've mentioned, plus Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, stuff like that. Plus based off todays 7 Ages of Rock, I think I owe it to myself to listen to the Libertines. Regardless of what I've called Pete Doherty in the past.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's lead to some of the music I like. I like my punk rock music, which has it's obvious roots.

However how bands like Modest Mouse, Minus the Bear stuff like that came to be - just two bands off the top of my head - I'm not sure.

I still love my indie music of today, and yesteryear as well. Stuff like Oasis, Blur as you've mentioned, plus Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, stuff like that. Plus based off todays 7 Ages of Rock, I think I owe it to myself to listen to the Libertines. Regardless of what I've called Pete Doherty in the past.

It's been Britpop night on BBC4. :shifty:

Loving it.

The (female) lead singer of Sleeper was pretty hot in a wide-eyed, bright red haired way.

Punk-Rock. I like stuff that's fast, that's exciting. Whilst I'm not really bothered about genres of music, nothing beats getting a new release from a good punk-rock band and just blasting it out for the first time.

At the risk of being made fun of:

80's glam metal, before it became carbon-copy shit in the early 90's or so. It's over-the-top, it's theatrical, it's larger than life. That's what rock should be.

Motley Crue, Ratt, hell, even some of the bands that weren't so good that came along later were good.

Other than that, my taste is pretty random.

Nu-metal. I wasn't around for the punk movement, unless you mean the pop punk movement, which was mainly a load of balls. The nu-metal er...'movement' was great. I still like bands like Disturbed, Papa Roach, System of a Down, Korn, Limp Bizkit and so on.

As everyone who I talk to on MSN knows, I'm a huge Motley Crue fanboy, so as KevinStorm said I'm gonna throw in 80's glam. Every fucking band from that - Skid Row, Faster Pussycat, Enuff Z' Nuff, Dokken, Hanoi Rocks. Even the bands from the 70's that influenced the glam of the 80's being the likes of Sweet, Aerosmith, New York Dolls, Mott The Hoople and KISS. Especially the bands that it's created nowadays such as Hardcore Superstar, Towers of London, Wild Youth and Buckcherry. It was just an incredible movement that sparked off a new wave of rock n' roll which laid down the blueprint for exactly what rock n' roll should have been since Zeppelin.

It's been Britpop night on BBC4. :shifty:

Loving it.

The (female) lead singer of Sleeper was pretty hot in a wide-eyed, bright red haired way.

Well, it has kinda changed over the years, but Grunge made a big impact on me when I was 13 or so.....I also naturally moved on to nu-metal when I was a little older.

But realistically, I'd say metal......though I'm not sure how far I'd narrow that down >_>