The Worst Franchises In Pro Sports Today

SeanDMan

Sidenote: You can thank ACCBiggz for this topic.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a completely new topic for the Sports Barb, but I felt now that teams in the NFL/NHL/NBA are into serious negotiations in terms of how their teams are going to look nex season, we all have a pretty good idea of who is going to still really suck. So, what do you think are some of the worst franchises in pro sports? I don't think it matters how long they've been awful, though I'm sure we can all think of one team that has been more or less awful as long as we've been alive.

So, what sports team is the worst in their game? You can include amateur and college teams if you like picking on the kids, and I'm sure all you Finnish folks want to talk about how much Sweden sucks, so go nuts.

NFL - Sadly, I'd have to say my Oakland Raiders, despite having a pretty good defense, and possibilities on offense. I just don't see anyone out there, outside of probably Detroit (who actually might have more problems, but more potential on offense), who is in the same club. Maybe Miami.

NBA - Atlanta. They just plain suck.

NHL - I dunno, its hard to follow hockey when I don't get to watch it much. Probably just because I'm a Kings fan stuck in a Ducks loving household I'd have to say my beloved LA squad.

MLB - I dunno, one of those broke small market teams? KC or something.

NCAA Football - USC. Ok, thats my Bruin bias showing through. Before last season this would have been an easy answer, San Jose State or Rice, but they both went to bowls last year. Based on NCAA Football 2007, I'd say Wyoming, but I don't think they're actually that bad. How about Baylor, thats always a good choice. Or Duke. Maybe Temple.

Detroit Lions. Ok, I think this year they should improve, but would anybody really be surprised if they faltered again? Everything about them screams "Worst Franchise" in Pro Sports. They have clueless ownership that continues to pay an inept GM millions of dollars despite his obvious deficiencies in running a pro football team. Since Millen took over the team, each year has passed by much like the rest. Each year the team is marred by injuries, big free agent signings falter, and draft picks turn out to be colossal busts more often than not. The outcome of this fine mess is a pro football team that has the worst record in the NFL dating back to Millen's seizing of the reigns.

Other than that though, Detroit's got some other fine teams.

We look at it as a victory honestly. We gave up a DB that didn't fit our scheme, and is pretty overrated. Dre Bly will work well next to Champ Bailey, but as a number one, he's not all he's cracked up to be. He is usually dominated by bigger WR's, but he is a playmaker. You basically trade Bly getting burned for a long touchdown for his ability to cause the turnover and make things happen.

The Lions got Tatum Bell, George Foster and 5th rounder. I don't know shit about Foster, but Tatum Bell seems to be a nice change of pace back considering our current stable. If anything, we unloaded a guy who didn't want to be here and at least got something for him.

Oh, and since you are a Raiders fan, I have to mention that I have this almost eerie premonition of Week 1 and hearing "McCown to Williams for another TD! Wow, these former Lions sure are making their old team pay!". :shifty:

Edited by VerbalPuke

The Chicago Blackhawks have constantly drafted high, and yet have been total failures for a long time now. So much so that the team is in financial trouble despite being in a solid hockey market. The managment there has been so bad that the team does not even have local television coverage.

We look at it as a victory honestly. We gave up a DB that didn't fit our scheme, and is pretty overrated. Dre Bly will work well next to Champ Bailey, but as a number one, he's not all he's cracked up to be. He is usually dominated by bigger WR's, but he is a playmaker. You basically trade Bly getting burned for a long touchdown for his ability to cause the turnover and make things happen.

The Lions got Tatum Bell, George Foster and 5th rounder. I don't know shit about Foster, but Tatum Bell seems to be a nice change of pace back considering our current stable. If anything, we unloaded a guy who didn't want to be here and at least got something for him.

Oh, and since you are a Raiders fan, I have to mention that I have this almost eerie premonition of Week 1 and hearing "McCown to Williams for another TD! Wow, these former Lions sure are making their old team pay!". :shifty:

I'm just not high on Denver RBs, to much of the system. Same with their O-Lineman, but they tend to be better in other schemes, Fosters not a bad player.

I could see it. BMW has a chance to be the #2, since our second best WR, IMO, Ronald Curry, is better as a #3, in the slot. McCown will probably start for us for now, and Detroit's defense isn't that great, although I'd LOVE Shaun Rogers, if he's even still there.

Leeds. Before anyone else can say it. The club's future was gambled on winning the champions league or the premiership, we pissed both away, exactly 3 years later we went to the championship, and 3 years later, we got relegated to the third tier of English football for the third time ever. Barca to Bristol (sorry Reily :P) in 7 years, and to top it off, the club might not even make it to the start of the season. :(

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The Chicago Blackhawks have constantly drafted high, and yet have been total failures for a long time now. So much so that the team is in financial trouble despite being in a solid hockey market. The managment there has been so bad that the team does not even have local television coverage.

They CHOSE to have no local television coverage.

Leeds. Before anyone else can say it. The club's future was gambled on winning the champions league or the premiership, we pissed both away, exactly 3 years later we went to the championship, and 3 years later, we got relegated to the third tier of English football for the third time ever. Barca to Bristol (sorry Reily :P) in 7 years, and to top it off, the club might not even make it to the start of the season. :(
Edited by Pesci Wallace

Leeds are hardly the worst, they've just fell nearly more than anyone. However, you could even venture to say that that would in fact by Nottingham Forest. Although it's quite funny how Leeds wanted to be that good team, now the seem like they want people to make fun of them, just so they can be talked about and remembered as a team that were once good, as opposed to a team that are now no better than Luton, Carlisle, Hartlepool and other teams like that.

Their's plenty of teams who have never tasted any kind of heights. Plenty of teams who are just fucking atrocious, but I think this question is referenced more to American sports, since no one would really call a football team much of a Franchise really.

Either way, Leeds are hardly the worst when they play in the third tier of football in England.

My Atlanta Hawks are pretty fucking terrible, I have to say. The Lions/Raiders and the like constantly suck too. :)

Edited by IAceI

Detroit Lions.

Has to be, not just because they have sucked for awhile, but because of the front office. Bad decision after bad decision and still not doing anything to change. Some people have alluded to the Raiders, but they have tried and made some decent decisions. They just fell on hard times recently, heck they had a run just a few years back with Rich Gannon. I would probably rank the Cardinals over the Raiders too although I see both teams turning things around now.

Atlanta Hawks.

Yeah. Every so often they'll make a decent move but while all other NBA franchises have ups and downs and back and forths... Hawks just continue to rot away in Atlanta.

Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos.

Someone said Tampa Bay earlier, but they were an expansion team, getting young players, and competing the one of the best divisons in baseball. The Expos/Nationals on the other hand have just been bad. With the exception of the 1994 Strike Season, but that got wiped away. Management has seemingly had no direction, but maybe the new stadium will liven things up in the Capital.