The Official Halo 3 Topic

The Kraig

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This next week is going to feel so long.

And sadly I can't get my Legendary Edition until Wednesday at the latest. No early release for me. :(

I'm just keeping up with the diorama, the podcasts and the videos released by Bungie. The most recent video was jaw-dropping. I know it's early to say, but Halo 3 is probably going to be the best multiplayer FPS of all time. Which is a big claim, especially from a guy who hasn't even played it yet...

And the campaign is supposed to be awesome. Four-player co-op, my mind still boggles at the possibilities.

Four days to go. :crying:

Oh yeah, I won't be getting two Legendaries, in fact, I may not even get one. I don't trust Gamestation until I have it in my hands.

Edited by The Kraig

Already got my pre-order card for the limited ed. Wanted to get Legendary, but found out it's only being given away on a promotional basis here.

Should be a pretty quick wait for me, since I've managed to avoid near most all coverage so far. I've got duty on monday, which means I get off tuesday morning...just in time for the launch event.

Much joy all around. :D

Never did play CS, but I always wanted to give it a try. I watched my RA play it a few years ago and it was all sorts of awesome, and that was just watching.

As for Halo, just paid off the rest of my balance for the legendary, and they said that they can guarantee I'll have a copy of it. If not, I'll take my money and go to Walmart to get a copy. Excited though, Monday Midnight can't come soon enough!

Since every man and his dog on here seems to be getting it and the co-op is very alluring to me, I grudingly declare my interest in getting this game...once it gets cheaper. I'm against paying £40 for a game now (barring extreme curcumstances) so maybe when it's about £30 i'll join in.

Nothing can top Counter-Strike for multiplayer FPS. Halo 3 might rank in the top 5 though.

I agree. When you talk about computer and console FPS, Halo 3 won’t be the best, but if you’re talking strictly about consoles, Halo 3 multiplayer blows everything out of the water. You’ve got 11 maps with a lot of game play variants, Forge + Custom Games (IE The closes thing to mods on a console, a lot better then a simple create a map feature), the insane amount of stats being tracked on Bungie.net, and saved films + screen shots. No console FPS even comes close to doing what Halo 3 achieves.

And speaking of Bungie.net, they’ve opened the flood gates now. Stats, screenshots, Bungie favorites, everything is up and running. Be warned though, there are spoilers, so be careful when checking it out.

I forgot to add this armor permutation that you can unlock for multiplayer.

2.jpg

I must be one of the few 360 owners who don't really give a shit about Halo 3, but if I had to I guess I'd be approaching this the way Ellis is. Since we're here, and this topic exists, can you tell me exactly what makes it so ridiculously amazing? I've played Halo 2, campaign and multi, and was thoroughly bored with both. I played the Halo 3 Beta and while it was fun playing with Kraigy et al, I didn't think it was any better than any other FPS I've ever played :\

I'm talking about the actual core gameplay, not silly shit that doesn't really matter like stat-tracking, or screen-shots. Even ignoring the graphics, since most games nowadays look fantastic as well, I just don't get why people are shooting their load over it. Is it just due to the insane level of participation you'd get for it, as opposed to say, Timesplitters? When I played both Halo 2 and the 3 Beta, it just seemed like the only successful tactic was to hope you can unload a clip into someone who doesn't realise you're there. I realise I suck, but it's not like I feel "wow, I'd love to get really better at this" :ohwell:

It's funny you should say that Kaney, because in Halo it's a lot like 'whoever shoots the other first wins', especially if you both have the same weapon.

I say Halo's my favourite FPS because of the shield system, the weapons, most of the maps, the core gametypes (CTF, Assault, etc), the social aspect (the invention of the party play), the very solid matchmaking system, it's not ruined by glitches (ala Gears, although it used to be) and I like the story in campaign.

And now there's adding new dimensions to the gameplay we're so used to in Halo 3 that it makes you rethink everything about the way your play. Even just the addition of the pick-ups makes a game like asymmetrical CTF completely different mentally, as you'll be looking out for defenders using those pick-ups when you're attacking, and it'll be a tactical advantage just to possess the pick-ups (so the other team can't get them...unless you die of course).

The new stuff if like a weird dream, 'let's do this crazy shit', 'fuck that, let's do that crazy shit and TURN IT UP ANOTHER NOTCH'. The complete access to editing the gametypes and map objects gives infinite possibilities for fresh content. It's very rarely done, and it's usually on PC games that give you that sort of freedom. Not to mention four-play co-op mode. I've been shocked so frequently during Halo 3's development, and I was expecting the best.

And Bungie revolve everything about their fanbase. So they've added a bunch of cool geek things like the custom armour, the game reanimation editor, and just tons of crap that isn't really necessary to have a good game but add polish to the game. But I fucking love all of these small things and the attention to detail.

If you don't want to get it but want to see what the fuss is about why not just rent it over the weekend? I'll explain some of the new stuff to you (in the game) if you want and do some campaign/matchmaking with you. :D

Also: Timesplitters was a FUN game...but it didn't really have the staying power that Halo 2 did. We found ourselves getting bored and going back to Halo. The point is, if you don't know/understand the story very well, the campaign will suck. And if you don't have many Halo friends, multiplayer will suck. I hate doing multiplayer by myself, you always get stuck with a bunch of retards. And if I didn't know the backstory to Halo and what happened between Halo and Halo 2 and so on I probably wouldn't have much interest in Halo 3's campaign. It's just got to the point where I NEED TO KNOW DAMMUT and look forward to playing through it. Especially in four player co-op, just the thought of that makes me shake my head with disbelief, in a good way.

Somewhat addressing Kaney's question, I've always thought that Halo > Halo 2, in as so far as the campaign is concerned. The levels in the first always seemed more cinematic, and better thought out than in Halo 2, and the marines seemed to have much more personality.

I guess this is partly due to the levels in the first being more distinct, as opposed to the 'half levels' in Halo 2. Even though people complained about backtracking in the first, when you revisited them, they still felt like different levels. I've played through Truth and Reconciliation, Guilty Spark 343 and the Maw tons of times, and the only level I didn't like, Keyes, grew on me after several playthroughs on Legendary. In Halo 2, what could have been a great stage in New Mombasa was ruined by the draggy tunnel and bridge segment. The first Arbiter stage was alright, but would have functioned better as one stage rather than two. Not keen on the Banshee dogfight either. Delta Halo and it's companion stage was great, and I liked the first and last stage as well, even if it didn't have half the impact of Halo's conclusion. The Gravemind stages were absolute crap. The Containment Zone one was alright, but could have been better if there had been more battles between the Elites and the Flood.

Fortunately, from what I've been hearing, there seems to be a return to more big AI on AI battles on Halo 3, which sounds awesome.

Hell, I don't even remember the stage names for Halo 2.

So uh, yeah.

(Y)

I just played Halo 2 a little earlier on, and yeah, I don't have a clue what level I'm on, but I might be able to be a bit more detailed this time. I admit I'm not all that read up on stuff, and I never played Halo so maybe I missed the introduction, but it all seems too random. Not got a clue which weapons are better than what weapons, it seems just shoot anything that moves until it dies, and it's boring sitting back every five minutes and waiting for your health to replenish. I'm assuming it was a boss fight because a huge ship appeared and dropped two massive alien things on me in a circle arena type place, but it was booooring. They just stood there and waited for me to replace my random weapon after emptying my clip into them, and then they fell over. Checkpoint, next level. I ended up quiting after punching a marine in the face because he kept spouting really annoying quotes like, every two steps, even when there weren't any enemies.

It's probably better on the harder modes, but I guess I prefer a more strategic challenge than just frantic, shoot, shoot, then shoot some more. Tell me I'm missing out on a whole different experience and I'll pick up the new one, but only the basic version. Unless Kraigy does get two legendary ones >_>

Edited by Kaney Almeida

Agreed, the stages in Halo 2's campaign were FAR more linear, and you basically had to go where the game told you to. I missed the massive open spaces of Halo. The 'bosses' were kind of lame as well. They spent way too much time of trying to force the player to acknowledge the story behind the games, especially when they expanded the Covenant viewpoint. Some people hated playing at The Arbiter, and that's like half of the entire game (including the finale) so I can see why Halo 2 could have been ruined for some people who were stoked to save the universe as Master Chief.

They've said they've tried to blend all the best of Halo and Halo 2 to get it just right for Halo 3. And the multiplayer speaks for itself. Custom games on Halo 3 are going to be hysterical. I remember my first few custom games on the Halo 3 Beta (yeah, I used the glitch, sue me) I was laughing so much that about a few hours my stomach, chest and abdomen actually hurt. I had to stop playing.

I can't wait to try and fork-formation up behind a big gang of Brutes on 4 player.

And what difficulty are you playing on Kaney? Easy is effortless and Normal is the 'Easy'. Heroic is my niche but it's not THAT hard. Legendary is just ridiculously hard, especially on Halo 2. So many Jackal snipers. :@

It's always been Legendary for me for Halo. Halo 2, I normally play Heroic, since I think the shields give way a bit too easily on Legendary. Finished it once, never really played it much after that.

But yes, it's a much different experience. It becomes less about run-and-gunning and more of trying to figure out the best way to approach it situation. The first time through, I spent several hours on each stage.

However, Halo 2 has an incredibly random checkpoint system. Kind ruins the fun, IMO.