Emile Heskey Called Up

IAceI

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do get the feeling that half the people disagreeing with this decision are just jumping on the bandwagon. England need to bring Scholes back instead of Heskey. I mean, Scholes is still one of United's best players at the moment. Or Smith, he does wonder's for me on Football Manager.

I do get the feeling that half the people disagreeing with this decision are just jumping on the bandwagon. England need to bring Scholes back instead of Heskey. I mean, Scholes is still one of United's best players at the moment. Or Smith, he does wonder's for me on Football Manager.

I still think its for a bit of experience. Realistically, there are 4 players in the squad ahead of him, but they are beginning to lack players who have experience not only at this level, but in these international crunch games. Heskey fits that bill, and if thats essentially what he is there for, then its no big deal.

Experience is one thing, but then Terry Venables has experience of high-profile games. I mean, Heskey doesn't bring top-level Champions League-type experience with him. Maybe a few years in the UEFA Cup.

For me, it's not a BAD choice (I probably overreacted, to be fair), but we're only going to improve the younger guys by giving them the experience Heskey has (apparently). So why not bring them in? Obviously McClaren is fretting for his job and needs the results, but if he failed by giving people a chance then he'd look FAR better than by failing because he brought all the old boys back. Merit is one thing, but Heskey (yet again) hasn't done an earth-shattering thing by playing well for Wigan.

If you want to get the best out of Owen, you need someone like Heskey. It's no coincidence that Owen's best form for England and Liverpool came alongside Heskey.

Having Heskey in the team immediately takes the defenders away from Owen, and seeing as the only other player that fits that bill (Crouch) is suspended, it isn't a bad choice.

• Admin

England v Israel

Wembley Stadium

Saturday, 8 September

Kick-off: 1700 BST

Live coverage on BBC One, BBC Radio 5live & the BBC Sport website

England coach Steve McClaren will give a shock recall to Emile Heskey in Saturday's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against Israel, BBC Sport understands.

The Wigan striker, who last played for his country in Euro 2004, is set to partner former Liverpool team-mate Michael Owen in attack at Wembley.

And Gareth Barry is on standby to step into the midfield if Owen Hargreaves fails to pass a late fitness test.

McClaren has confirmed Steven Gerrard and keeper Paul Robinson will start.

Liverpool skipper Gerrard had been doubtful with a broken toe but has been passed fit.

"It will be a big boost for everyone, but most of all it will be a boost for Stevie Gerrard because he wants to play in this game," said McClaren.

However, it is still unclear who Gerrard will be lining up with in the heart of the England midfield as Hargreaves has a thigh problem.

"Owen also wants to play every game and we're giving him every opportunity, but we'll leave it up to the player and the medics," McClaren added.

England skipper John Terry admitted Hargreaves was a worry after he had to sit out part of Friday's training session.

"He was on the sidelines watching what we were doing formation-wise and for set-plays," said Terry. "It was an idea to make sure he was fully OK and to give him another day's rest.

"It's touch and go whether he is going to be OK for the game."

Manchester United midfielder Hargreaves ended the session with some light jogging with England physio Gary Lewin.

England are already without Frank Lampard and David Beckham.

Chelsea midfielder Lampard is ruled out with a thigh injury, while Beckham's knee problem has ended any hope of the LA Galaxy star playing any part.

Israel coach Dror Kashtan says now is the perfect time to play England, although he has to contend with an injury of his own as striker Roberto Colautti has been ruled out.

"The England national team are always a strong side especially at home," said Kashtan.

"For me England are the favourites for the game but on a given day, in a given match, everyone is vulnerable.

England squad for Euro 2008 Group E qualifiers against Israel on 8 September and Russia on 12 September:

Robinson, James, Carson; Richards, Ferdinand, A Cole, P Neville, Brown, Terry, Lescott, Shorey; Bentley, Lampard, Wright-Phillips, Barry, Hargreaves, Gerrard, J Cole, Carrick, Downing; Smith, Crouch, Defoe, Heskey, Owen, Johnson, Young.

Are we trying to NOT qualify? Because starting Heskey is the way to do it.

Edited by Kubica

Guest Ringmaster

You know what's the best part of all this? The New England Revolution will bring back the chant of awesome!

New England, New England!

We're not as good, as

Ye Olde England

but at least we don't have

Heskey up front,

'cause he never scores at all.

No offense :shifty: