Sting is the worst ever!

Your Mom

To most, yes. In general it's a case of... if you're a Rush fan... you're the type of fan that's going to go to every show that you possibly can (aka, my friend who saw them play in Las Vegas, Toronto.. I believe, and Detroit this past summer) but Rush deserves its place in history, I think.

It's pretentious because it's pretty crowbarred in. There's a difference between intelligent literary illusions and blatant ones.

And Neil Peart's a horrible lyricist. Probably not in the top ten "worst ever", but nor is anyone in that list, even Gallagher who's one of my least favourite lyricists, it's just doing what all "top worst" lists do and correlating their talent (or lack thereof) against their popularity, so it's more "least deserving of praise" rather than "worst". But, yeah, Rush lyrics are horrible; just messes of mixed metaphor, lazy sci-fi and fantasy illusions and clumsy approaches to whatever theme it's ever meant to be about, and lest I forget;

"THE soooouuuuundd of salesmen! OF SALESMEN!"

Still not as bad as Gallagher, though.

Guest chatterbox

It is essentially the magazine saying "Which artists, who have sold millions of records, can we say are bad just so we look cool". Which is why their opinion means nothing to me.

I was thinking about Plant, and although Led Zeppelin get many props for the songs they did, I rarely ever hear a good thing about the actual lyrics he offers up. Not saying that makes him a bad lyricist, but he is never really hailed for that side of things either.

I was thinking about Plant, and although Led Zeppelin get many props for the songs they did, I rarely ever hear a good thing about the actual lyrics he offers up. Not saying that makes him a bad lyricist, but he is never really hailed for that side of things either.

Genesis gets into this? They have a lot of crap but a lot of good to great stuff too, Peter Gabriel's solo work is not that easy to get into but when you do, you really do ge into it.

Guest chatterbox

Aye, it is an obvious rhyme, but it is not like it doesn't make sense. Besides, the rhyme is not the best part of the lyric in any sense.

"Slowly walking down the hall,

Faster than a cannonball"

Its juxtaposition. A poetic device that all the greats have used.

A lot of songs just force lines in that don't fit, albeit, Noel Gallagher does do that at times, but he does write some great lyrics as well. I am not calling Noel the best lyricist ever, but he most certainly isn't even close to being the worst.

It's not juxtaposition, it's a dreadful contradiction. And that sentence, incidentally, and entirely by mistake, was a better rhyme than anything Gallagher's ever written. He's a dreadful lyricist. The moment someone explains what a Wonderwall is (yes, I know it's named after a George Harrison album, that doesn't mean the song makes any sense), what a Champagne Supernova is, or why horribly forced rhyming dictionary bullshit nasally whined over a T-Rex or Slade rip-off riff constitutes a good song. And don't even get me started on "Go Let It Out" or "She's Electric".

Worst ever? Probably not quite, not while James Blunt's still alive. But he wouldn't be anywhere near a list of the best, either.

And Jim Morrison's a rubbish lyricist too. The Doors wrote fantastic songs, but not fantastic lyrics. Stoned pseudo-intellectual psychobabble or anagrams of your own name do not good lyrics make.

To be honest, as much as I love him, I'm surprised David Bowie didn't make it up there. He's written some nonsense in his time.