Best/Worst Band Names

New Damage

I remember seeing this in Nuts/Zoo several years ago and was basically to fill a gap. Well, why not here too. Yours?

Best Band Names

Audioslave

Soundgarden

Shinedown

Alexisonfire

Alice In Chains

The Cult

Spineshank

Nine Inch Nails

Trapt

Rage Against The Machine

Worst Band Names

The Goo Goo Dolls

Danko Jones

Chevelle

Limp Bizkit

The Sword

British Whale

The Breaking Wheel (because they changed their name from 'Artillery')

CherryBlackStone (just for the simple fact its too close to Black Stone Cherry. Whoever CBS are)

Lethal Bizzle (honestly be better off being called 'Jizzy Tissue' as Jeremy Clarkson called him once)

Edited by TheModernWay

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking only in name terms...

Good:

Add N To (X)

Enigma

Death In Vegas

Underworld

Aphex Twin

Daft Punk

Le Tigre

Les Rhythmes Digitales

Madness

Robots In Disguise

Sigue Sigue Sputnik

The Polyphonic Spree

Bad:

Bow Wow Wow

Dirty Pretty Things

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Planet Funk

Hot Hot Heat

Kaiser Chiefs

The Streets

Best:

No Alternative

The Controllers

Dead Boys

Reagan Youth

Puke

The Punks

Bolt Thrower

The Modern Lovers

The Meatmen

Scumfucs

Jack Tragic and the Unfortunates

The Gun Club

Fear

Destroyer 666

Axegrinder

Battalion of Saints

Worst:

Panic! At the Disco

Fallout Boy

Less Than Jake

New Found Glory

Jimmy Eat World

My Chemical Romance

Cute is what we aim for

Now, I'm pretty lenient with most band names, but those names listed have become ingrained in my mind as being completely fucking lame.

I think "Less Than Jake" is a good band name. There's some bands where it sounds a little weird where you say it, when I say "Strung Out", sometimes I get a bit "ewww"...whereas "Less Than Jake" rolls off the tongue nicely. It's not a spectacular name, but it's not cringeworthy.

Good

Jamiroquai (Just sounds cool)

The Libertines

Andrew Jackson Jihad

Mindless Self Indulgence

Casiotone For The Painfully Alone

Bad...there's so many...whilst not 'bad', make me cringe somewhat as I say them..."Rise Against"...ewww..."Babyshambles"...ewww...just ewww...

Less Than Jake elicits a different reaction from me. It's not necessarily something to make me cringe, but I do know that I've never liked the name, dating back to Highschool, as it's always been a band name that stuck with me as something I was never fond of.

Edited by VerbalPuke

As Liam mentioned, "Puke" is very straight forward. Puke sounds good, it lacks any pretentious bullshit, it's not contrived, and it doesn't make the band sound like a bunch of pussies. Typically, you have to assume that a band named Puke is going to come out and rock, leaving your toes tapping and your ears satisfied.

I fail to see how it's a bad band name.

As Liam mentioned, "Puke" is very straight forward. Puke sounds good, it lacks any pretentious bullshit, it's not contrived, and it doesn't make the band sound like a bunch of pussies. Typically, you have to assume that a band named Puke is going to come out and rock, leaving your toes tapping and your ears satisfied.

I fail to see how it's a bad band name.

The problem I have with most heavy metal band names is that so often they go out of their way to be RARR METAL, MORE METAL THAN YOU!, which pretty much limits their output from day one to just BEING metal, and their fans would shit all over them if they branched out from that, whereas, for example, Mr. Bungle are, ostensibly, a metal band, yet the name doesn't immediately suggest that and is, in my opinion, a large part of the reason they can transcend genres so easily without alienating their fanbase. If a band like Anal Bleeding or Pig Destroyer, or even my beloved Napalm Death, tried it, it wouldn't go down so easily.

Anyhow, great band names:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

The Smiths

World's End Girlfriend

Black Sabbath

Boredoms

Khanate

The Velvet Underground

The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster

Bearsuit

The Fall

Rapeman

Bad band names:

Fuzz Against Junk

Einstürzende Neubauten (I'm sorry, but "Destroying New Buildings"? I don't like it.)

The Come Ons

Within Temptation

System Of A Down

The Modern

The White Rose Movement

Letters To Cleo

Jane's Addiction

Gore Gore Girls (largely because it illicits an entirely different image to what they actually sound like, although partly because it's a bit crap)

Blind Guardian

Guest Basquiat

The two best band names in the world are And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead and !!!.

The worst two are of the same school of thought, and that's Megadeth and Metallica. The latter because, y'know, who puts the genre of music in the name of their band in this day and age? The former loses for taking an extremely generic heavy metal concept (ooh, death), then attaching an awful prefix and even worse misspelling to it. :thumbsdown:

Well y'know...Megadeath is a real word. Mustaine just changed the spelling.

Best:

Anal Cunt

Corrosion Of Conformity

The Communist Neckties

The Misfits

Worst:

Limp Bizkit

Death Cab For Cutie

Funeral For A Friend

The Number Twelve Looks Like You

Fecal Jesus