WB Admits Mistake About Angel

tristy

n a surprising turn, newly ensconced WB head Garth Ancier admitted that cancelling ANGEL may have been a mistake.

During the TV Critics Press Tour yesterday, Ancier claimed that had the network and producers Twentieth Century Fox held off the February decision, ANGEL might have been renewed: "The mistake that was made between us and Twentieth was that we didn't wait until May, we just made the decision early based upon their request."

Last year, ANGEL was "on the bubble" and renewed at the last moment. Typically, series' fates are decided by programmers once all new show pilots are previewed.

This time around, the producers and ANGEL creator Joss Whedon requested that the network make an early February call for renewal. Then-CEO Jordan Levin informed Whedon over dinner that ANGEL would be axed.

The WB had two highly anticipated potential genre series, Lost in Space and Dark Shadows, neither of which panned out, leaving a hole in the program schedule. Dark Shadows, in particular, was expected to be a drop-in replacement for ANGEL, but says Ancier, the production did not "gel."

Series "on the bubble" could go either way. This past season, two such genre shows, UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise and FOX's Tru Calling, were renewed just prior to the "Up Fronts" -- when networks showcase their Fall line-up for potential advertisers.

According to Ancier, there's still interest in doing special ANGEL TV movies, but that David Boreanaz would need some "coaxing" to return to the role.

Ancier's statements may be viewed as a way to distance his new WB administration from that of former CEO and chief programmer Jordan Levin, who resigned last month and was seen as responsible for the end of ANGEL.

CREDIT: Saveangel.org

Hmmm, well that's good and all, but it's alittle too late, yes?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love how when shit hits the fan, they expect us to feel bad for them.

They shouldn't have cancelled the show in the first place, as it was a big ratings grabber for them, and brought in an audience that didn't consist entirely of nit-wits or extremists of one kind *cough*religion*cough*afro-american*cough*angry white trash*cough*

I'd go as far as saying that Angel was the one show on the WB Network that could bring in fans of all kinds, and not just one kind. Angel should have been the Franchise of the network...not the filler of the network. The same people tune in to watch Seventh Heaven every week...but they'll never get viewers from any other demographic. Angel brought viewers from EVERY demographic.

I hope this turns out like another Family Guy case, where the series is renewed or continued in some way after they realize how moronic of a decision they made in cancelling the show in the first place.

I can't argue with Boreanaz about not wanting to return to the role in a TV movie. If Angel returns, it needs to be a strong return. Either a feature length movie, or just the return of the series.

With that said, I don't think Boreanaz is up for returning to the series...and so, I believe that they should just take any cast members who'd like to return, and build a show around one of the stronger characters.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a way to make a series about Lindsey McDonald, who was, undoubtebly, the single most kickass antagonist on the show, bar none... but still had the hint of virtue in him. Why not find a way to make him live through/past his gunshot wound from *ahem* and then continue from there? Maybe explain that Angel and co. were killed in the battle, and that the Powers That Be spared Lindsey's life in exchange for his service, as the world is rebuilt from the failed apocalypse.

Lindsey > * except Angel.

Edited by Gabriel

Man, this is just frustrating. Good to know that everyone thinks cancelling Angel was a mistake, but there's nothing anyone can do to bring it back.

Edit: There better be some series made that's set in the Buffyverse... I need something here!

Edited by triplexpac

I'd expect a Connor show, actually. It makes sense. Watch the Series Finale and Angel says something like "they can't destory me, aslong as you're alive". See, and Angel could have died or something during the last scene of the Episode. And...bah, just go read the Virtual Online Season 6. That's my idea of a perfect Angel spin-off.

Anyways:

No Emmy nominations for Angel

From Emmys.com - 2004-07-15th

Despite hope from fans that Joss Whedon and co would be rewarded for years of quality TV. Genre TV wise : Alias and 24 got 8 noms, Carnivale 7, Enterprise 4, Battlestar Galactica 3, Kingdom Hospital 2 and Stargate 1.

56th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards

Nominations & Webcast

Plaza on Nomination Morning

Nominations for the 56th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards were announced on July 15, 2004 from the Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre in North Hollywood, California. The Academy’s Chairman of the Board & CEO Dick Askin presided, assisted by Edie Falco and Tony Shalhoub.

The awards presentation telecast awarding Emmys in 28 categories before a black-tie audience will be televised by the ABC Television Network on Sunday, September 19, from the Los Angeles Shrine Auditorium. The Academy’s Governors Ball will follow the telecast at the Shrine Exhibition Hall, adjacent to the auditorium.

This year’s Emmy telecast will be hosted by Garry Shandling, executive-produced by Don Mischer and produced by Michael Seligman. Danette Herman is the coordinating producer.

Inside the Goldenson

On Sunday, September 12, also at the Shrine Auditorium, 59 awards “categories” (a single award) and “areas” (possibility of one, more than one or no award) will be handed out at a black-tie presentation co-chaired by Michael Hoey and John Moffitt. Spike Jones, Jr. will produce.

Additional awards may also be given for the three "juried areas" (no nominations) of Costumes for a Variety or Music Program, Voice-Over Performance and Individual Achievement in Animation. The announcement of these awards, if any, will be released in August. Additional awards may also be given for Engineering Development, Interactive Television Programming and the Governors Award. These awards, if any, will be announced later this month.

That's bologna.

How is it that the craptacular Enterprise snagged 4 nominations, and the best fucking year of Angel (Season Five) didn't even get one?

Joss keeps getting shafted when it comes to Angel. Buffy was long-overdue for a deadening...but Angel still had at least three more seasons left in it. Bull-o-nee.

The WB Suit #1: "Hmm....we are all 50 year olds that are 30 years older than our audience. let's make new stuff!"

The WB Suit #2: (Smokes Illegal Substance) "Let's axe the old crap. Hmm...Angel's been on for five years. Axe it! We need new material!"

The WB Suit #1: "Yes! Out with the OLD! Oh, Charmed Season Seven, yes?"

The WB Suit #2: "Of course. Angel fans are too thick to notice!"

Many months later....

The WB Suit #1: "Oh shit, people watched it! Let's hope no-one buys that New Show Crap and notice that Charmed is on the air..."

The WB Suit #2: "We can play the 'oops! Accident!' card?"

The WB Suit #1: "Yes...the fans are thick enough to buy that."

Seriously? Is that what the WB management meetings are like?

Edited by Xand

Probably dumber than that.

And if you're not an 18 year old female, why in the hell are you watching the WB in the first place?

Angel.

I watched WB for Angel...that is, until it started to show new episodes on Space, at which time, I got rid of the Digital Cable...cuz I didn't need the extra channels anymore, because Angel was on a regular cable channel.

For fuck's sake, I don't think the Wonderfalls, Buffy and Roswell core of fans combined raised this much of a stink. Yes, The WB fucked up. So did FOX with Wonderfalls. So did UPN with Buffy. So did NBC, with the 15-20 shows they've cancelled like idiots over the past 10 years or so. From a ratings standpoint, so did ABC with Life with Bonnie. It happens. It's also just a TV show. The typical attention span of a television viewer is less than one second. Ding Ding! The one second expired like 5 months ago, just watch something else.

For fuck's sake, I don't think the Wonderfalls, Buffy and Roswell core of fans combined raised this much of a stink. Yes, The WB fucked up. So did FOX with Wonderfalls. So did UPN with Buffy. So did NBC, with the 15-20 shows they've cancelled like idiots over the past 10 years or so. From a ratings standpoint, so did ABC with Life with Bonnie. It happens. It's also just a TV show. The typical attention span of a television viewer is less than one second. Ding Ding! The one second expired like 5 months ago, just watch something else.

I guess someone doesn't understand the concept of Fan Loyalty. Angel is a cult favorite, and will continue to be so. Much like Buffy, and much like Family Guy. The legend of Angel will never die, no matter what.

Besides...the fans that were targeted for Angel, are the ones who actually have attention spans..because if you didn't, you couldn't get into the show, because every episode is purposeful in relation to the other episodes...so missing one show could completely throw a viewer off of what's going on.

Preach it Gabriel.

(Also, UPN didn't fuck up Buffy. SMG wanted to leave, and Lord Joss wanted to end the story as well.)

Can someone direct GoodGodWhatABeatnik towards the Farscape fanbase (which includes myself)?

Oh what's that? A four hour mini-series?