• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nim Vind

DOA

Swollen Members

Robin Black

Within their respective genres, the preceeding names kick all kinds of ass.

As far as the traditional idea of Canadian music goes... I can't really say that I like any of it... the Hip, Rush, etc. Bryan Adams, if you take his albums, pull the good songs out and make one album, is worth a listen, and provides some good stuff... but other than that... just, meh.

You warmed my heart there Gabe. God Bless D.O.A.

And Canada has had many great bands, Subhumans being one of my favorites, who were founded by the same guy that founded D.O.A., Joey Shithead. I believe he was actually an active member of Subhumans before he formed D.O.A. And for the record, Subhumans from Canada bear no relation to the Subhumans of the UK, and I might say, are much better than the Subhumans of the U.K.

Nomeansno deserve a mention, considering they were a top band of mine for quite some time. I don't listen to them as much as I used to, but they're still an incredibly amazing band, great song writers, great musicians, and very diverse in their style.

Oh, and don't let me forget my new favorite punk band, Personality Crisis. I can't really place my finger on what it is about these guys, but I really love what they did in their era. They had a real style to their music, and a vocalist with a pretty interesting sounding voice.

Then there is also one of my favorite thrash bands, Aggression. They hit heavy and don't stop from start to finish.

If anybody is interested in a listing of notable Canadian punk bands...Kill from the heart: Canada

Edit - "Pretty sounding voice"...whoops.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Guest Onkel Hans

And of course, the two most Canadian music videos of all time...

(Canadian song, lip-synched by Canadian politcians, in the winter, with a Rick Mercer intro. Back when Stockwell Day was relevant. :D) terrible A/V synch though

(Canadian song, sung by Canadian singers, at the championship of Canadian football, in sub-zero temperatures).

Guest Onkel Hans

Hell, as long as I'm going through my Youtube favourites...

- The Hip at the Grey Cup in 2004, peforming "Gus, the Polar Bear" and "Courage"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_350v-Gi3M - Possibly the best cover song ever (sounds a whole lot more Eagles-like than the original)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtailKBfvyY - Jeff Healey plays 'Stuck In The Middle With You'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y627SeTwENs - Runnin' Back Thru Canada is the greatest live album of all time

- and some April Wine for good measure (contains links to all their other hits from the same concert)

Fuck me, how did I forget about Inepsy? They're easily one of my favorite bands going as of the present day. They remind me a lot of Motorhead, except with more of a punk edge to them. This video doesn't necessarily reflect that their sound is similar to Motorhead, but I think people would see the comparison through their studio stuff.

Guest Onkel Hans

I find that they suffer from the same "all the songs sound similar" curse as Nickelback (although not near as much, and the 'main song' is actually good), for the most part...if I listen to them for more then a little while, I'll be put off the whole band. Sorry. :(

I find that they suffer from the same "all the songs sound similar" curse as Nickelback (although not near as much, and the 'main song' is actually good), for the most part...if I listen to them for more then a little while, I'll be put off the whole band. Sorry. :(

I blame that on Raine's voice. But the band itself is class.

See, now Raine's voice is what drew me to them. The minute I heard "Automatic Flowers" with his voice and the whole meaning behind the song, I was hooked. Then things like "Happiness is not a fish that you can catch", "Sell My Soul", Superman's Dead"......god I love this band.