Hollywood writers strike

Guest wwebone

Guest wwebone

As of 12:01 am PT on Monday, Hollywood writers are going on strike.

Personally, I believe that this sucks. Shows like Leno, Conan, and Colbert will most likely be the first ones hurt by it. Be prepared to see plenty of reruns on shows like that for a little while.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think that wrestling would come under guild jurisdiction, but then again you'd think writers of shows like The Simpsons or Family Guy would too, only their programs are animated so it's somehow not "writing".

The residuals on new media is probably the biggest issue, but it's far from the only one. All of the AMPTP's proposals thus far include roll-backs on health care, dental and pensions. There are also jurisdictional issues; the guild wants to bring under their protection writers on animated programs as well as reality shows (yes, they have writers. Yes, it's ironic.). The real problem is that 21 years ago the writers took a bad deal on home video residuals because the market was "unproven", and they've been paying for it ever since. And until the producers show some movement on those core issues... well let's just say this is a guild with more resolve than ever before.

Even worse I've heard several writers label this a "lockout disguised as a strike". There is a fairly common conspiracy theory regarding these negotiations suggesting that following the disappointing performances of many new as well as returning series, producers would like this strike as a way of getting out of their existing series commitments and letting them reset for next year. If that's the case, you can bet they're more than willing to ride this one out. The only real proof of this theory is the absolute unwillingness to negotiate on the part of the producers, but I think that speaks volumes about their lack of concern for lost revenue.

In short, unless there are serious breakthroughs at the Sunday meeting with a federal mediator, we're probably in for the long haul. And I personally hope the writers take them for every cent they can bleed out of it. One can only assume that an industry with more invested in writers is a better industry.